Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:37 AM

700 posts, read 416,062 times

Advertisements

I feel like I’m that person. Born and raised in NYC and I do travel a lot but have yet to find that city that would convince me to move.

For example I really love DC but since it’s 4 hours away I’m comfortable traveling there once a month if I can. I’m not missing anything that that a DC local has living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 02:13 AM

6,325 posts, read 4,862,875 times
You never know what you might like about a different kind of place until you try living there (not the same experience as just traveling).

Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,547,266 times
Born & raised in Houston, couldn't see myself living elsewhere except maybe Dallas, Miami or to an extent, New Orleans.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,431,530 times
I was born, raised, and have spend the vast majority of my life in the same Charlotte suburb (Gastonia). I've lived 1-2 year stints in Orlando, Columbus, and Boston. Liked each in varying degrees. But I came back here to Gastonia knowing I never wanted to live anywhere else. I have traveled a lot and have "lived" (6 months or less) in many other metros across the nation. There are some that I know I could live and be happy living there (Orlando, Tampa, Charleston, Philly, Chicago, Minneapolis). But this is the best place I've ever been in terms of living permanently. From my own experiences, I don't agree that one HAS to spend tons of time and money moving from place to place to find that "perfect" utopia. The "grass is greener" syndrome and people getting easily bored is very prevalent these days. Generally speaking (again generally), the cost/benefit ratio isn't in favor of most people airmessly traipsing across America. Being content. Being thankful. Being realistic. Being objective. Traits that are hard to find. I did all of my short moves due to research, except one (to Boston/Cape Cod) to care for my mother-in-law. I never did them out of boredom. But I did learn a lot. I learned to be thankful for what I had. Sorry for rambling, lol. The thread just got me to thinking about this issue from a personal perspective. There are some wonderful areas here in the U.S. But where I was born, raised, and where I've been most of my life (including now) is my wife's and my personal part of Heaven.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:51 AM

11,980 posts, read 7,742,806 times
Born and Raised in Boston.. little other cities appeal to me.. Philly is too gritty, NYC is way too dirty/trashy, Chicago lacks the ocean and mountains nearby, DC is too sprawly outside the diamond... Everything below the Mason Dixon is too hot.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM

291 posts, read 373,882 times
It is actually rare for someone to move out of my small Arkansas home town. It's a very big deal when people leave. Everyone wanted to know why I would ever want to live somewhere else. I can't imagine not trying something else.

So most of the people I graduated with were born there and yes, they are completely content staying there. Good for them if that is the life that makes them happy. It would make me restless.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,337,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Born and Raised in Boston.. little other cities appeal to me.. Philly is too gritty, NYC is way too dirty/trashy, Chicago lacks the ocean and mountains nearby, DC is too sprawly outside the diamond... Everything below the Mason Dixon is too hot.
I find it interesting what people find best in the cities that they grew up in without having lived somewhere else. My mother's family is from Boston and I lived in Brookline for three years and went to college in Boston. I just came back from a 5 day stint in Boston, and could never live there again. Congested, traffic, expensive, come to mind. To Boston's credit, the city has become better with redevelopment and the big dig, but no.

I live in Chicago now after growing up in the LA area, and agree that the lack of mountains and ocean are a negative, but the lake is almost ocean like and so a part of downtown, more even than the ocean is a part of Boston proper. I miss the mountains of California where Big Bear was so accessible. But Chicago is clean and livable, and will do.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,470,732 times
My hometown is very much a place where 90% of the people you graduate high school with will still be there when (or if) you come back for your 20 year class reunion. Roughly 15% of my graduating class left the state for college/military/etc., and now 9 years later, I'd guess based on Facebook and Instagram that 80-90% of those who left came back.

I lived in my hometown for the first 18 years, a suburb of Philly for college for 4 years, 5 years in Philadelphia, a 2 month stint in Shanghai, and now New York. I couldn't imagine life if I had never left my small hometown so detached and isolated from the real world. If you were born and raised in a major city where these is so much to do and experience, I can understand why you would stay. But if you were born in a small town and never leave (even for just a few years), I think that's pretty sad and a bit pathetic. People need to experience the wider, more complicated world and a small town isn't that.

Last edited by MB1562; 06-11-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM

24,510 posts, read 17,995,915 times
An awful lot of us had no choice. My first job out of college was pretty far from where I grew up. I didn't have that kind of opportunity living in my home town. At my 40th High School reunion, pretty much none of the top-10% of the graduating class still lived in the area. Several of us owned summer homes since it's a nice coastal town.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:46 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,547,266 times
If you're constantly relocating every 2 years, that's a sign of unstability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.