U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:55 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,491,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
That was NOT the quote, and you know it:

I know what the subject of the thread is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,405,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I know what the subject of the thread is.
Are you implying cacto does not? Then take it up with him/her. I wasn't addressing you in the first place, I was responding to a direct quote from cacto.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:34 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,491,623 times
Anyway. No sour cream or rice, please.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:29 AM

3,308 posts, read 2,771,973 times
Quote:
Who's lived/worked in California. Do you believe that San Diego "does food better than the Bay" Area? If so, I'd love to hear your reasoning; if not, what exactly was your point here?

I've never, ever, in my entire life seen San Diego ranked ahead of San Fran for food by a legit 3rd party or critic. Have you?
Who cares about these lists. These food critics exaggerate sometimes.

I had burritos in SF and was not impressed. They get soggy fast and their tortillas are flavorless. Believe it or not, there is an art to making good flavorful flour tortillas. My grandma is from northern Mexico and would make them from scratch every day. They should be buttery and flaky when cooked.

San Diego definitely has good burritos. The tortillas for the most part are the good buttery ones. The carne asada is especially flavorful because it is influenced by Tijuana natives where the meat is marinated and smoked.

Chipotle burritos suck big time- so overrated. They use those gross tortillas that have no flavor and taste like plastic.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:22 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,042,179 times
Quote:
Are you implying cacto does not? Then take it up with him/her. I wasn't addressing you in the first place, I was responding to a direct quote from cacto.
By food I meant burritos, feel free to freak out a little harder about this mundane subject.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,195,090 times
I've had some earth-shattering burritos in Nogales, AZ.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:54 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,771,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I've had some earth-shattering burritos in Nogales, AZ.
Yeah why isnt Arizona on these lists?

Sonora is home of the burrito and most Mexican food in Arizona is heavily influenced by people from Sonora.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:21 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,453,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
NorCal: rice should never be inside a burrito.
Agreed! I don't get what people find so appetizing about a bunch of cheap filler in burritos like rice. I haven't been impressed by any burritos I've had in the Bay Area, not bad but pretty "meh" IMO.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:18 AM

172 posts, read 217,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Who cares about these lists. These food critics exaggerate sometimes.

I had burritos in SF and was not impressed. They get soggy fast and their tortillas are flavorless. Believe it or not, there is an art to making good flavorful flour tortillas. My grandma is from northern Mexico and would make them from scratch every day. They should be buttery and flaky when cooked.

San Diego definitely has good burritos. The tortillas for the most part are the good buttery ones. The carne asada is especially flavorful because it is influenced by Tijuana natives where the meat is marinated and smoked.

Chipotle burritos suck big time- so overrated. They use those gross tortillas that have no flavor and taste like plastic.
Sorry, but I (and I believe the majority of people and food critics) strongly disagree. Burritos in the Bay Area are better than San Diego. San Diego burritos are much simpler and I've found them to often be bland. Bay Area burritos are bursting with flavor - take La Taqueria (#2 on this list) for example. Many flavorful ingredients expertly blended in an amazing flour tortilla - every bite is like an incredible meal in itself.

Also, Chipotle has as much to do with true Bay Area-style burritos as Pizza Hut does with authentic NYC pizzerias. Chipotle was started in Denver and supposedly models itself after the "Mission" style, but is in many ways the antithesis of it. It tastes like cardboard and completely lacks flavor. Not to mention no sense of good ingredient distribution. It is a pretty terrible burrito.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:36 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,453,769 times
Bay Area burritos are bursting with too much rice, that's probably why each bite feels like a meal in itself lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.