U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 AM

19 posts, read 16,499 times

Advertisements

Thanks a lot!! I just wonder if upstate NY is a good place for a nice garden/hobby farm as far as soil goes, etc. I ll look into that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times
Stay out of Dane or Milwaukee counties if you're worried about taxes and want to live near Milwaukee or Madison!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM

thanks a lot !! Are people in WI family friendly? How did you experience them?

Old 06-30-2014, 10:22 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,916,662 times
How about Bloomington or Springfield, IL? They're smaller cities where land and homes are cheap.

If you don't mind the mid-west winters, you're going to get great schools, very safe neighborhoods, low traffic, etc. Bloomington has a major university (in Normal), large insurance firms and a large datacenter. Springfield of course has state government and other businesses.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:27 AM

Hi things and stuff !

Thanks a bunch for your response ! We did not consider IL, so yeah, that sounds interesting! Do you know about the Job market and taxes over there?
IL... isnt it a place with hundreds of tornadoes, or am I wrong?

Old 06-30-2014, 10:36 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,916,662 times
I honestly don't know what the tornado situation is over there. I know people who lived there and it wasn't mentioned.

Bloomington, IL has the cheapest homes that I have ever seen in a walkable, safe city with good schools. For $200k, you can get a 3000 sqft home with a yard that is in the grid and close enough to downtown to get there on bicycle (or even walk), and be in schools that are really great and also is super safe. Lots of civic pride as well. You'd have to do your own research though.

I'm sure there's property and income taxes to level the costs out some. One draw back to smaller towns like that is when the big employer leaves then the town is hurt pretty bad. Bloomington, IL has state farm which dominates the area. Springfield is a little more stable due to state government being the major employer, but it is a little less idyllic. I'd move out there in a heartbeat if it weren't for the cold weather. It may be worth looking up and seeing if those areas would appeal to you. Different strokes for different folks so only you can decide. It's just that a lot of people aren't aware of these still classic American towns that exist in the mid-west.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 AM

Thank you very much! highly appreciated! Will check that out, too!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,180,387 times
Take a look at the Rochester, MN area. (2nd largest metropolitan area in MN).

Stable economy due to dominant medical service sector (Mayo Clinic). You should easily find jobs.

Taxes lower than WI and even IA - you do the comparison with other states.

Plenty of hobby farms available within commute distance.

Excellent schools.

Very pretty!

Just - can you deal with cold and snow? Same issue for upstate NY, btw. Winters are easy for those who can adapt, and summers are wonderful.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 PM

I have lived 24 years in southern bavaria where I am originally from. In the alps. That explains it I guess.

Thank you! Are you from Minnesota? We have looked into Minneapolis and around that area - and what we have found was... well, landscape wise and hobby farms, indeed, a lot - but the overall cost of living was a shock, even rentals homes were high in expenses, we didnt know about the dominat medical sector tho. That is news to us - sounds very promising and great - thank you for the advice!

Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe parts of Upstate NY could work. While property taxes can be high, home prices are pretty low and overall cost of living is around the national average, give or take. I think you should be able to find something in terms of jobs, as should the other half, but it may be a little tougher.

Information technology jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Buffalo NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Rochester NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Syracuse NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Ithaca NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in UTica NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Binghamton NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Corning NY - Indeed Mobile

Pharmacy jobs in Albany NY - Indeed Mobile

Pharmacy jobs in Buffalo NY - Indeed Mobile

Pharmacy jobs in Rochester NY - Indeed Mobile

Pharmacy jobs in Syracuse NY - Indeed Mobile

For homes/farms, you can look here: RealtyUSA - Upstate NY and Northern PA Real Estate
This may help too: New York State Hospital Profile

New York land, lots, ranches and farms for sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or