U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 AM

19 posts, read 16,499 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My Fiance, daughter and I are looking for a place to relocate. Residing in Phoenix, Arizona we do not want to spend the rest of our lives in the desert, heat and climate. It does not work for us.

She is pharmacy technician and I am involved with IT and Business Administration. We are looking for a place to relocate to and we would have never thought that things are gonna be so tricky, difficult and also expensive (ha...!).
Of course, we were looking at many many different states. She is originally from Cleveland, Ohio. She loves the climate and the overall landscape in the Midwest very much, as I do aswell. We both are not sure about schools and the school system in Ohio and especially the job market. We both know that Ohio has struggled a lot. High unemployment in the Cleveland area, crime, Youngstown was bad for long a time aswell.

We were looking at Pennsylvania (she could transfer to Pittsburgh or Harrisburg and has friends in Warren), Maine and the Vermont region (high taxes, high costs of living, and high unemployment scared us for sure, although the landscape is beautiful and amazing, exactly what we love!). From looking at New England and being shocked how expensive life is over there, we were looking at PA (we have heard the have great colleges, so thats good) to Wisconsin and Minnesota.
We were stuck with Wisconsin for a long time. Simply because that state offers so much, good schools, great environment, great culture (I am a german myself!) but then again: We of course would like to relocate in order to get settled and buy a home, at least with 2 - 3 acres of land. A small hobby farm in the country. Close enough to a bigger city, yet off the land. Thing is: Wisconsin and their property taxes! Its scary! We were doing so much research and we have been told to stay away from WI if we dont wanna end up being poor... and taxing ourselves to the point of poverty.
Then we went on to 2 other states: Washington state around the Seattle area and Idaho, Boise. My Fiance has been to WA a few times before and she loved it. Yet we dont know much about their taxes and overall costs of living; sure we know that Seattle is definetly one of the more expensive cities and about Boise, well, its still in the high desert. And we dont wanna live anywhere with desert around us. Idaho has lots of forests aswell, but not around Boise. We dont like droughts and as said, we need a place where we can get settled, buying a nice home with 2 - 3 acres, having a nice garden and some livestock perhaps aswell. Wildfires and droughts are "abundant" in Arizona and we dont like it.

It is very important to us that we could find a place with our jobs, a nice school and cheap land availability. Buying our own house/small hobby farm is important to us and our family, it is one of our major goals and we try to find our balance with that goal and maintaining a good availability to schools or colleges.

Yeah, it does sound crazy, we have looked into so many states. Its just overwhelming. We just want to make sure we do the right thing. And we better make sure that we do our homework and research, instead of just relocating with a 4 year old girl and afterwards feeling regret over it. Nope, we dont need that.

What do you think? Any hints or advice?
Thank you all

Last edited by KRebel; 06-30-2014 at 07:27 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 06:18 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
What is your price range for your house/farm? That'll help determine.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:45 AM

3,178 posts, read 3,846,097 times
Cleveland's economy has actually improved a lot in the last 10 years.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 AM

Hi Kyle: 250 000 - 290 000 dollars.

@Cleverfield: Well, what about schools and jobs? My Fiance has worked in Cleveland in 2012 and she said it was extremely hard to a) land a job and b) the pay was horrible in her career. So I dont know. Sure thing is that OHIO has its nice areas, especially the southeast/appalachian ohio, but jobs are scarce there aswell.

thank you

Last edited by KRebel; 06-30-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times
If you consider Madison a big enough city, grab a farm west of there in the Driftless Area. Taxes and land are fairly cheap and it's fertile land - also, very beautiful land. You'd have to go around 45 minutes to get out of Dane County (high taxes) and beyond Madison commuters. Try Sauk, Juneau, Richland or Iowa counties maybe?

If you want to use Milwaukee as the "near" city, you'd need to go north for the best deals. You could do Jefferson County, between Milwaukee/Madison, but it would be a bit more expensive than out in the morraines (Dodge/Fond Du Lac/Calumet Counties).

Old 06-30-2014, 07:57 AM

Thank you very much cheese plate !
What can you tell me about schools and overall COL around Madison?

Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 AM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Maybe parts of Upstate NY could work. While property taxes can be high, home prices are pretty low and overall cost of living is around the national average, give or take. I think you should be able to find something in terms of jobs, as should the other half, but it may be a little tougher.

Information technology jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Buffalo NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Rochester NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Syracuse NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Ithaca NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in UTica NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Binghamton NY - Indeed Mobile

Information technology jobs in Corning NY - Indeed Mobile

Pharmacy jobs in Albany NY - Indeed Mobile

Pharmacy jobs in Buffalo NY - Indeed Mobile

Pharmacy jobs in Rochester NY - Indeed Mobile

Pharmacy jobs in Syracuse NY - Indeed Mobile

For homes/farms, you can look here: RealtyUSA - Upstate NY and Northern PA Real Estate

Old 06-30-2014, 08:18 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times
Madison itself is fairly expensive for a Midwestern city of its size, but comes with oversized amenities. I'm no expert on it, though, as I only lived there for a short time many years ago. I know schools are very good there and overall throughout the state. You could also pose questions in the Milwaukee or Madison forums if you really want an "expert" on those specific issues.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 AM

ckhthankgod: Do you know about Jobs there in our careers? We never considered upstate NY but thank you for your suggestion! Are schools ok though? Where would one find work; Rochester?

Cheese plate: We would love to work in the bigger Cites like Madison or Milwaukee - but we would NOT wanna live in the city. We would want to rent in the outskirts or outside the city. For that Id even take a 45 min drive. Its awesome to hear that schools are good. We would be just worried about property taxes - if we would buy property and COL/landing jobs. Of course we need financial stabiltiy for our family. Thank you for your help !

Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 AM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRebel View Post
ckhthankgod: Do you know about Jobs there in our careers? We never considered upstate NY but thank you for your suggestion! Are schools ok though? Where would one find work; Rochester?

Cheese plate: We would love to work in the bigger Cites like Madison or Milwaukee - but we would NOT wanna live in the city. We would want to rent in the outskirts or outside the city. For that Id even take a 45 min drive. Its awesome to hear that schools are good. We would be just worried about property taxes - if we would buy property and COL/landing jobs. Of course we need financial stabiltiy for our family. Thank you for your help !
Look at my previous post, as I added some more info. Rochester has arguably the best school district in Upstate NY in Pittsford. If you want rural and good schools, look into places like East Aurora, Cazenovia, Skaneateles, Victor, Lewiston-Porter, Clinton, Owego-Apalachin, parts of the Ithaca City SD, Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, Averill Park, Schuylerville and some others. This should help too: 2013 Upstate New York school district rankings - Business First

You may want to see this too: Property tax exemptions

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-30-2014 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or