Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:41 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
Interesting!! Do you know where in Los Angeles there is a large concentration of Russians?

And are there really many russians in california.
There are very many Russians moving into the Hollywood area. Santa Monica Blvd just west of Fairfax all the way east to LaBrea you'll find a significant Russian population. Plummer Park in Hollywood is sometimes called "Russian Park" because most of the people there are all of Russian descent. There are many businesses in this area as well that are owned and operated by Russian immigrants. You'll find the best blinchiks in the US here.

Other areas with growing Russian population - Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Encino and Woodland Hills. This is based on the fact that I run into Russian speaking people just about every day when im out and about in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 07:32 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,494 times
In LA there are lots of them in West Hollywood. The richer and more assimilated ones move to Santa Monica and southern OC(Irvine is popular). In Northern Cal they can be found in any well-to-do area from suburban Oakland to San Jose. The majority of these folks are of hebrew(that's how it was written in the "nationality" field of the old Soviet passport, it didn't have to do much with religion in Soviet days) origins.

In the "pre-modern California(we're talking pre-1970 here)" those of Russian nationality were scattered all over SoCal and also around San Francisco. Almost all their offsprings are completely assimilated and have lost the language and culture. One thing that sometimes remains is a few fond memories of the food cooked by their grandmothers.

One area with a significant presence of Russian nationality is Portland, OR - Vancuver, VA. Most of them are first generation immigrants, granted religious refugee status due to being labeled "sektant" Christians in Russia(only Orthodox and to an extent Catholics are considered traditional, others are deviant sects). Most Ukrainians who live around Sacramento are in the same situation. So are Ukrainian Baptists in Ashville, NC. The later two groups are predominantly from Western Ukraine, so they shun Russian and tend to speak Ukrainian.

The "new" and semi-"new" Russians with extra money often choose Miami Beach as their playground, some for the winter, some for permanent stay.

As in modern California, in the big northern cities the Russian speakers are likely to be of hebrew ethincity. They are a plenty in New York(Brighton Beach, Brooklyn), Chicagoland(northern Cook county and southern Lake county, as well as being scattered along Chicago's lakefront from downtown northward). They have a somewhat lesser, but still noticeble presence in the suburbs of Cleveland, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Detroit, Boston, Philadelphia.

In the South a scattering of Russian speakers of various ethnicities can be found in Tampa/St. Pete(later is favored), Jacksonville(southside mostly, richer ones in St. Augustine), Sarasota/North Port, suburban Atlanta, Charlotte, Chapel Hill and Cary in NC, Dallas area(mostly in the suburbs, Plano and Frisco are areas of choice, it seems), Houston(Galleria, Maplewood, Meyerland, Bellaire, some are further in Sugar Land, The Woodlands), Austin. Most of these folks are more assimilated than their northern compatriots, since the conditions in these cities are less-welcoming for a first-generation immigrant to be able to stick to the ways of the old country.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 PM

167 posts, read 213,785 times
Russians live all over America, though I have met lots in New York, Florida, and Pacific Northwest. My mom's part Russian so Russian pride all the way!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:21 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
There's a small group of Russians in Trenton, NJ, and a fairly good sized group in southern Burlington County, NJ.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
West Hollywood. When I lived in Glendale, one of my friends was a girl named Inna who was a Ukrainian from West Hollywood. My boyfriend at the time had told me that "as Israel is to the Jews, West Hollywood is to the gays." When Inna told me that lots of Russians lived in West Hollywood, I told her this, and she said, "Yes, but we live together in peace."
It's easy to lump them together but Ukranians are their own nationality. Anyway, has previously posted, Chicago has a good amount of Russians as well as an old Ukranian neigborhood called Ukranian Village. There are still some old timers there, but for the most part it's a gentrified area.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM

123 posts, read 381,191 times
I know we have a few russian community's on the east coast. I know there is supposily a large community in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. There is also communites in Maryland, DC and Virginia.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:39 AM

307 posts, read 1,397,132 times
The biggest Russian Community in America is in New York City.

In the boroughs Brooklyn ----> Brighton Beach

Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM

331 posts, read 1,544,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
The biggest Russian Community in America is in New York City.

In the boroughs Brooklyn ----> Brighton Beach
I just noticed that you're from AZ. By any chance, do you happen to know if there is a significant(maybe at least 10,000 or so) contingent of Russian speakers(regardless of nationality) in Phoenix(Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe) area? If so, do they congregate in certain areas or rather spread out? Do they have any business or cultural establishments? Thanks a lot!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:22 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
I just noticed that you're from AZ. By any chance, do you happen to know if there is a significant(maybe at least 10,000 or so) contingent of Russian speakers(regardless of nationality) in Phoenix(Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe) area? If so, do they congregate in certain areas or rather spread out? Do they have any business or cultural establishments? Thanks a lot!

There is supposedly 20,000 russian speakers in Phoenix. I am from Tucson.. and you see Phoenix does not actually have a place where people congregate. (Like a local farmers market with russian ethnicity) Phoenix is just suburban sprawl. Which sucks because I wish there where more russians.

Try going to discoteques or "Yasha from Russia" which is a russian food store. Info:

WHERE:
10240 N. 32nd St.
Phoenix, 85028
CUISINES:
European, Deli, Russian

Sadly.. I cannot say where people actually congregate. Phoenix is just a place where you have to look for russians, through association. SO they are spread out.

Places like West Hollywood, Glendale have a large speaking russian population in L.A area. Same with Brighton Beach New York.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
They are not considered ethnic Russian. They have a different origin. You can start with the Khazars and find out more from population genetic studies. One has to distinguish between Russians and minorities living in Russian territory.

It's easy to tell them apart.

That is different. They would be ethnic Russians who converted to Judaism. It's not easy to convert to Judaism. Jewishness is passed on through the maternal line. The Kohanim are an exception. It's patrilineal with them.

As a Russian who is also a Jew, I can't believe a moderator or someone didn't take this apparent racism/prejudice off of here! Of course, religion does not affect nationality. That is a ridiculous statement, obvious ignorance or narrow mindedness by the OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.