U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:42 PM

10,552 posts, read 13,107,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Storms yes, tornadoes - no.

Chicagoland is thousands of square miles. There have been tornadoes in the past, but they're certainaly extremely rare at any given point.

Tornadoes going back to the 1800's have been recorded about once every 45 years within the city of Chicago. For the six county area, there are on average 2 tornado touchdowns each year, although most are small. Significant tornadoes of F2 or larger, those that can start causing damage, show up in the area about once every 2 years, although most tend to cause little actual damage as they aren't going through highly urban areas. The coverage area studied is around 4,200 square miles.

It's been 24 years since a tornado death in the Chicago metro area (Illinois portions at least), most people here don't seem to care at all. The news hardly breaks in for the warnings and no one seems to take any sort of precaution. That's a far cry from growing up in Iowa where people seemed to care much much more about safety and to keep an eye on tornado warnings.
Exactly, tornados are not an issue in the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:40 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
basements, root cellars and fallout shelters

Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Exactly, tornados are not an issue in the City.
Six years ago a tornado blew right through downtown Atlanta. It ripped a hole in the roof of the Georgia Dome, collapsed a couple of buildings, heavily damaged a nightclub, killed one person, injured dozens of others, and blew several windows out of the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel. (You can tell which windows were replaced; they're the ones that aren't shiny.)

Never say never, especially in your part of the country.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,892,673 times
Tornado History Project: Wisconsin

Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Not a single tornado within 100 miles of where I grew up during my lifetime (born in 1969). Not sure why a Michigander is posting Wisconsin-specific tornado info on a site that includes every state (including Michigan), though???

Old 07-02-2014, 01:10 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Not a single tornado within 100 miles of where I grew up during my lifetime (born in 1969). Not sure why a Michigander is posting Wisconsin-specific tornado info on a site that includes every state (including Michigan), though???
You can change the filter near the top of the page to be any state.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You can change the filter near the top of the page to be any state.
Right, that's why I was wondering why a Michigander who hadn't been contributing to the conversation included a Wisconsin-specific link with no commentary.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:04 PM

10,552 posts, read 13,107,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Six years ago a tornado blew right through downtown Atlanta. It ripped a hole in the roof of the Georgia Dome, collapsed a couple of buildings, heavily damaged a nightclub, killed one person, injured dozens of others, and blew several windows out of the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel. (You can tell which windows were replaced; they're the ones that aren't shiny.)

Never say never, especially in your part of the country.
Ok, I didn't say never. And by looking at the map posted earlier in this thread Atlanta is far more likely to be hit by a tornado than the City of Chicago.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Right, that's why I was wondering why a Michigander who hadn't been contributing to the conversation included a Wisconsin-specific link with no commentary.
Did you also flip the pages by clicking "Next" or the arrow (--->)? States with multiple tornadoes have multiple pages of data to sort through, especially if you leave the filters on "all". OR, you can change the settings from the default of 200 icons per page to 5,000 and you won't have to worry about flipping through pages (WI had 1,284 tornadoes from 1950-2013, ten in the Milwaukee area).

I see lots in the Milwaukee area (if that's your region).

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 07-02-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Did you also flip the pages by clicking "Next" or the arrow (--->)? States with multiple tornadoes have multiple pages of data to sort through, especially if you leave the filters on "all"?
The link itself goes directly to "Wisconsin." I understand how to navigate, just not why this person linked directly to Wisconsin, and not Michigan or a more general one. There wasn't any commentary to clear this up, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or