U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 09:20 PM

144 posts, read 144,294 times

Advertisements

Just a question. I know they can occur almost anywhere, but I always wonder how some towns and cities are still standing after all they've been through.:\
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:32 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,672,281 times
Tornadoes definitely change the landscape. Houses and other structures get rebuilt but you notice the missing trees for a long time, really looks strange when they are all gone. It's been a couple of years since my neighborhood got hit and being able to see the horizon everywhere instead of tree tops is taking a while to get used to. I can't think of any town in Missouri that is not prone to tornadoes, maybe the most northern parts..I don't know.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,619 times
Tornadoes are rare in the northern half of Minnesota, along with northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 AM

4,471 posts, read 7,286,802 times
Jenni may have beaten me to the punch, sort of.

Duluth, Minnesota rarely has them. Not particularly prone because of the effect of Lake Superior. It's such a beautiful city, too!

Old 07-01-2014, 06:12 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times

Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 AM

2,746 posts, read 2,368,244 times
Along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. See above in the map kyle posted. Bad storms die out the closer to Lake Michigan they get.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
Just a question. I know they can occur almost anywhere, but I always wonder how some towns and cities are still standing after all they've been through.:\
Towns still standing?

On average in tornado alley, an average point on earth will get hit by a tornado once every 12,000 years. That's on average, so I don't need to hear about some neighborhood that's been hit twice, or I'll just point out 24,000 neighborhoods that haven't ever been hit.

99% of structures built in the Midwest have never had any sort of contact with a tornado. Strong winds are much more common during derechos and thunderstorms, but rarely cause any terrible damage aside from tree limbs down, some hail damage and maybe siding blown off. That's normally cleaned up if it happens and looks normal within a days.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:30 AM

267 posts, read 238,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post

Well, since there is soooooooooo much land in each Midwestern state, being affected by a tornado is actually pretty rare, since when they happen they only hit a tiny fraction of all that land. The chances of being hit in the same place twice is very rare, and since countryside makes up most of all that land, the chances of a tornado hitting a large town/city and causing a lot of damage is also rare.

I've lived in Wisconsin for 22 years and have never been even close to being hit by a tornado..... My first time seeing a tornado was on November of last year in central Illinois. I was driving back to Wisconsin to visit family and friends and spotted a big wedge shaped tornado out on the countryside.

It was a amazing sight to see but it did caused destruction to a small town or two nearby the path of that tornado.

November 17, 2013 tornado outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-01-2014, 09:08 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times
I've almost always lived along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin, and have never had one come anywhere near me. Growing up in Door County (the "thumb" of Wisconsin), we literally had no historical record of any tornados on the northern end where we lived. Tornados were never a concern until I moved to central WI, and even then it was never much of a deal. The closest I've ever been to a tornado was a couple weeks ago driving through Chicago's western suburbs - one had landed about 10 miles away, and we took cover in a store for a bit.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:13 AM

273 posts, read 348,781 times
Ohio's generally not bad at all. Other than Xenia getting hit hard about 40 years ago and Lorain in the 20's, most tornadoes here have been weak, short-lived, or too far out to do major damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or