U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 PM

207 posts, read 353,280 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am from TN, have lived in NW AR and MO and now am back in NW Arkansas. I remember why I left here - the cost of living is great and the people are nice, there is a decent amount of shopping and groups to join for activities, BUT...the humidity is like kryptonite to me! Seriously, I suffer from sinus infections and have for years, and I NEED a drier climate so I can breathe. I am tired of spending almost all year indoors - during the summer because anything above 80's is miserable combined with this humidity, and during the winter because the humidity makes it a 'wet cold' that is bone-chilling and 'cold for no reason' (it doesn't even really snow, more like ice storms). I wouldn't mind the powder snow I hear of out west as long as I wasn't trapped for too many days unable to even go to the grocery store.

Here's the problem: I am needing a place with the lowest cost of living possible but with a lower humidity level than here, preferably with not-too-brutal winters so we can have a garden and a little farm somewhere eventually. I also need a family-friendly area since we have little ones

Any suggestions? Please? Please help me get rid of these stupid sinus problems once and for all and actually enjoy being outside again!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by movingagain2012; 06-30-2014 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:39 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,886,341 times
This post pretty much screams Phoenix.

Sounds like a desert environment could be the trick, but be warned: if you are allergic to dust, then Phoenix may not be best for you.

Still, Phoenix should probably be at the top of your list.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:50 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,427,905 times
I think Salt Lake City would be more a match for you, especially if factoring family-friendly and gardening into the equation. I know the first inclination is probably regarding the Mormon aspect which has dwindled dramatically in terms of influence to the point where they're no longer a majority in the city. SLC has one of the better job markets in the country if that's a concern, surprisingly good public transit, has a lower cost of living and very good schools generally.

About Salt Lake | History & Community Information
Utah Transit Authority
http://www.redbuttegarden.org/GardeningInUtah

Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,517,068 times
Nobody does dry and cheap better than El Paso. El Paso sometimes gets a bad rep because of spill-over crime from Mexico, but as long as you can mind your own business, nobody is going to mess with you.

If you'd still like four seasons and to be close to outdoorsy activities, check out Boise. It's dry, cheap, and one of the safest cities in the country. It offers okay cultural amenities, and you'd be less than an hour away from great hiking, skiing and fishing. The downside is that it's colder than El Paso.

Bakersfield, CA might be a good option too. It's drier than the rest of California in the winter (averaging about an inch of rain in January), the cost of living is among the lowest in the country, and you can still take advantage of everything Los Angeles has to offer, being under two hours away.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:53 AM

56,742 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Nobody does dry and cheap better than El Paso. El Paso sometimes gets a bad rep because of spill-over crime from Mexico, but as long as you can mind your own business, nobody is going to mess with you.

If you'd still like four seasons and to be close to outdoorsy activities, check out Boise. It's dry, cheap, and one of the safest cities in the country. It offers okay cultural amenities, and you'd be less than an hour away from great hiking, skiing and fishing. The downside is that it's colder than El Paso.

Bakersfield, CA might be a good option too. It's drier than the rest of California in the winter (averaging about an inch of rain in January), the cost of living is among the lowest in the country, and you can still take advantage of everything Los Angeles has to offer, being under two hours away.
I thought that El Paso actually has a low crime rate. Here is an interesting article about those claims: El Paso leader says El Paso "safest" city of its size in country | PolitiFact Texas

Old 07-01-2014, 01:31 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,094,763 times
Tucson might be worth looking into as well

Old 07-01-2014, 01:53 PM

4,813 posts, read 5,007,902 times
This Post screams SACRAMENTO, but Sacramento has better MUCH cooler summer weather than the Southwest, Phx, Tucson, Vegas with a ton of Sun. Sacramento has trees, lots of big shade trees and cold mountain fed rivers, and lakes.

SACRAMENTO has the perfect humidity, neither Bone Dry like the southwest, nor humid like the midwest, east and south.

Sac's humidity rarely is more than 20% at the hottest time of the day. No parched dry skin and nosebleeds nor does it feel like a steamroom throughout the day.

Best feature about Sacramento summer weather is that it cools into the 50's most nights and mornings. We use our A/C's alot less. That cool-cold pacific ocean is 55 miles away as the crow flies and Sacramento gets regular consistent cool evenings, nights and mornings because of it.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,053,061 times
Prescott, AZ--tolerant, open-minded people with a live-and-let-live attitude; no one cares what religion you are, who you sleep with, where you're from. Active, outdoors-oriented population--lots of people hike, bike, camp, garden, kayak, horseback-ride, etc. Nature and the environment in general are very important and well-respected, unlike in the South. Very safe/low crime. Beautiful natural scenery and plenty of trees/greenery (if that's your thing--it's most people's). Very low humidity, lots of sunshine. On the warmer side, but has all four seasons and doesn't get extremely hot like the low desert areas (i.e., Phoenix, Tucson). Doesn't get too cold either, esp. compared to the Midwest, Northeast, and most of the South. They get some snow in the winter, but not much. It's got a nice little downtown and reasonable home prices. You can drive to Phoenix for things you really need on occasion--higher-end shopping, fine dining, pro sports, travel. It's also close to Flagstaff if you want more snow, mountains, winter sports, etc. as well as Sedona and the Grand Canyon for some of the most breathtaking natural scenery in the United States.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 27 days ago)

8,736 posts, read 10,862,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
This post pretty much screams Phoenix.

Sounds like a desert environment could be the trick, but be warned: if you are allergic to dust, then Phoenix may not be best for you.

Still, Phoenix should probably be at the top of your list.
Oh boy. Most people I knew in Phoenix got allergies when they moved there or were made much worse living there. Kids would get asthma there that never had it before, too.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:20 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,380,569 times
If you are willing to deal with triple digit summers go to Phoenix or Vegas. If it's strictly a humidity issue and you like having four seasons and milder summers than what is found in those cities, check out Albuquerque, Boise, or Salt Lake City. Denver is a consideration but COL is high there compared to NWA and continuing to creep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or