U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:08 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,285,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Nope. Montreal is the largest city, but Quebec City is the capital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Actually, the capital of Alberta is Edmonton. Calgary is the largest city in the province, but not by much.

Oops. My mistake. Thanks for the corrections!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 PM

291 posts, read 425,897 times
Actually, Victoria is the capital of British Columbia. Not Vancouver.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:51 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,285,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
I guess my memory isn't serving me as well as I thought. I knew Victoria had some kind of role in BC, but I'd forgotten what role that was. Thanks for the correction.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 PM

47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times
I've never been to Canada, but this is how well I know the provinces. BC is home to Canada's largest port, Vancouver. It's capital, Victoria, is on the ironically named Vancouver Island. Large resources of timber. Peaches are grown in the lake district around Pencticton and Vernon. Major center of hydroelectric energy. Has the greatest potential for geothermal power resources because of volcanic activity. Vancouver has a mild climate.

Alberta. Cowboys and oil. Athabasca oil sands are there. Canada's answer to Texas. Calgary has the Saddledome. 1988 Winter Olympics were held in Calgary. Flat in the eastern part of the province. It is one of the prairie provinces. Border between AB and BC is marked by the Rocky Mountains. Its capital, Edmonton, is the northernmost large city in North America. Home to the world's largest Easter egg.

Saskatchewan is very flat, and has rich soil because of the chernozem belt. Wheat is a major crop there. World's largest producer of potash. Only place in Canada where uranium is mined. Home to a large Ukrainian population(as are the other Prairie Provinces). Its capital, Regina, means "queen" in Latin. Home to the Lake Athabasca Sand Dunes, largest sand dunes north of 58 degrees North.

Manitoba is alot like Minnesota. Alot of lakes, boreal forests too. Capital is Winnipeg. Gimli, a town in Manitoba, originally settled by Icelandic immigrants. Komarno is home to the world's largest mosquito statue. Interesting moreso, Komarno is Ukrainian for "mosquito". Komarno is also a city in Ukraine. Home to Churchill, where you can see belugas and polar bears. Major wheat-exporting port.

Ontario. Has both the capital of Canada(Ottawa) and the largest city in Canada(Toronto, which is Ontario's capital). Has been known as Canada's workshop. The largest concentration of Canada's population is concentrated in Ontario. Borders 4 of the 5 North American Great Lakes. Vast mineral and timber resources, and large industrial base. Far northern part of Ontario is part of the Canadian Shield. CN Tower is in Toronto. Also home to the Toronto Blue Jays.

Quebec. French is spoken here. The capital shares the province's namesake, Quebec. Montreal is the first Canadian city to host the Summer Olympic Games. Le Stade Olympic, former home of the former Montreal Expos, has the world's highest leaning tower. Montreal is the largest Francophone city in the Western Hemisphere. The St. Lawrence River has played a part in Quebec's history. It played a part in the settlement of Quebec. Montreal is one of the largest inland ports in the world.

Prince Edward Island, the smallest province. Capital is Charlottetown. Basically an island. Lobster fishing takes place here. Anne of Green Gables takes place here. Potato farming also takes place here.

Nova Scotia. A peninsula of sorts. Capital is Halifax. Home to Cape Breton Highlands. Large Scottish heritage in Nova Scotia. Home to some rural, predominantly Black communities, such as Big Upper Tracadie. Bay of Fundy is nearby.

New Brunswick. Home Anglophone and Francophone towns. Capital is Fredericton. Largest city of Saint John. Dieppe is a French-speaking city in New Brunswick. A dialect of French called Chiac is spoken in NB.

Newfoundland and Labrador. Capital is St. John's. Easternmost city in North America is St. John's NL, which is on the Avalon Peninsula, on Newfoundland island. Home to the first European settlement in North America, L'Anse aux Meadows. Cod fishing was a major part of the economy. Now oil is becoming a part of it. Offshore oil rigs in NL. Labrador is far less populated, quite cold, and has Happy Valley-Goose Bay. Didn't become a province until 1949.

Yukon is a territory. Capital is Whitehorse. Yukon river starts there. Gold rush came to the Yukon a long time ago. Home to Dawson City. Very cold place. Home to the highest point in Canada, Mt. Logan.

Northwest Territories. Capital is Yellowknife. Home to Great Bear Lake.

Nunavut is the newest territory of Canada. Capital is Iqaluit. Majority of the population is Inuit. Northernmost settlement in Canada, CFS Alert, is in Nunavut, on the northern tip of Ellesmere Island.

How do I know this? Winner of 5 school geography bees, and I have a Bachelor's degree in Geography.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
And the irony is that Victoria is on Vancouver Island.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,930,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I guess my memory isn't serving me as well as I thought. I knew Victoria had some kind of role in BC, but I'd forgotten what role that was. Thanks for the correction.
Ontario's capital is also Toronto, not Ottawa!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Ontario's capital is also Toronto, not Ottawa!
Ottawa would be Canada's capital. Parliament Hill.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:40 PM

846 posts, read 1,635,520 times
Alberta: Oil industry, shopping mall in Edmonton, Calgary Roughnecks. Bret "the hitman" Hart.
British Columbia: Vancouver, Victoria, beautiful mountains.
Manitoba: Winnipeg is Canada's most dangerous city, no?
New Brunswick: St. John.
Newfoundland: St. John's... and fishermen... and alcohol.
Nova Scotia: Halifax has a very nice skyline and a lot of water.
Ontario: My favorite city in the world, Toronto, is located here. The CN Tower, Niagara Falls, Parliament Hill. One of the greatest regions on the planet. I've travelled all across Ontario and can say it's an amazing place. The epitome of Canada.
Prince Edward Island: One of the longest bridges in the world.
Quebec: Very rural outside of Montreal, which was also disappointing city.
Saskatchewan: Empty space. Weird Al dreams of driving a zamboni all over here.

Yukon: Whitehorse, gold, snow, ice, isolation. Alaska.
Northwest Territories: I've always wanted to visit Yellowknife to explore the city on foot, then canoe on Great Slave Lake to take advantage of the stunning view of the Aurora Borealis overlooking the city skyline.
Nunavut: I still don't know how to pronounce it's capital "city." There's a cool sign in Alert that shows the distance to all of the world's major cities.

Forgive my ignorance.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:47 PM

And today is Canada Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiQj...Rt523O3b7Ugbbg

Old 07-02-2014, 05:14 PM

462 posts, read 582,278 times
Alberta - cowboys wear some extra clothing because it is cold
British Columbia - colder and just as rainy as Washington
Manitoba - frozen lakes
New Brunswick - cold and coastal. Like New England
Newfoundland - cold and Viking.
Nova Scotia - cold, new, and Scottish.
Ontario - cold and urban near the lakes, probably some farming is done for the non snowy month.
Prince Edward Island - cold, Edwardian and Islandy.
Quebec - cold and French. The heart of French colonization of North America, and one of the earliest European colonies on the continent.
Saskatchewan - cold and flat. I think wheat and grain farming.
Upper territories and provinces - Way too cold for non-Inuit people that aren't hardy explorers. Snow shoes, teams of dogs, igloos, etc.

Analogs to American states:
Alberta ~ Colorado for the cities + Wyoming for the stampede
BC ~ Washington
Manitoba ~ Wisconsin or Minnesota
New Brunswick ~ Maine
Newfoundland doesn't seem to have an analog
Nova Scotia ~ Maine again
Ontario ~ Illinois (Toronto), Upstate New York or Michigan
PEI ~ Long Island before NYC suburbs took over
Quebec ~ Louisiana (Acadia) + Vermont + Massachusetts
Saskatchewan ~ Kansas or Nebraska, but since it is so cold, more like the Dakotas
Upper regions ~ Alaska interior

Last edited by Hamtonfordbury; 07-02-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or