Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 AM

74 posts, read 91,078 times

Advertisements

Alberta: Lowest sales tax (5%) - has no provincial sales tax. Lowest taxes in Canada.
British Columbia: West Coast, mild winters, lots of Asians.
Manitoba: -
New Brunswick: Only bilingual province.
Newfoundland: -
Nova Scotia: Halifax
Ontario: Toronto, Niagara Falls, most populous.
Prince Edward Island: -
Quebec: French, European feel
Saskatchewan: Funny name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM

267 posts, read 308,902 times
I'm not going to look up the provinces.

Honestly, I know that some of the regions speak English and some speak French. I know that some areas of Canada are cold and heard the people up there are friendly. Toronto is the only city I know in Canada and as a NBA fan, the Toronto Raptors basketball team made their appearance in the playoffs this year. I'm not sure Canadians still say "Eh" up there but that's the only stereotype I can think of.

Their flag has a maple leaf on it and they have epic bacon and maple syrup.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,628,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
After reading this thread..
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...rst-thing.html

I'm curious to know what comes to mind with Canada's ten provinces. Think of associations, facts, stereotypes, opinions and share what you know about the Canadian provinces. Feel free to add the territories if you're knowledgeable or have been (NWT/Nunavut/Yukon).
Alberta -- Prairies
British Columbia-- Vancouver, Asians, and marijuana. Also, mountains.
Manitoba-- ??
New Brunswick-- again ??
Newfoundland-- cold and coastal
Nova Scotia
Ontario-- Toronto, great Lakes, HUGE
Prince Edward Island-- pretty area, but dont know anything about it
Quebec- French speaking, not the REAL canada
Saskatchewan-- praries and kind of just blahh, idk tho.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,154,885 times
Quote:

I'm curious to know what comes to mind with Canada's ten provinces. Think of associations, facts, stereotypes, opinions and share what you know about the Canadian provinces. Feel free to add the territories if you're knowledgeable or have been (NWT/Nunavut/Yukon).

Alberta (Edmonton Mall, rare tornado, Calgary, rodeos, most "American" province)
British Columbia (Vancouver, Victoria, mountains, wineries, Pacific Rim atmosphere, very fresh produce)
Manitoba (Idk)
New Brunswick (Idk)
Newfoundland (rocky shores, wildlife)
Nova Scotia (Halifax, rocky shores, blue collar, stereotypical Canadian accent, New England-like vibe)
Ontario (Toronto, Golden Horseshoe region, wineries, Niagara Falls, Degrassi, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie)
Prince Edward Island (Idk)
Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City)
Saskatchewan (very large wilderness areas)
My answers in parentheses.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:35 PM

11,561 posts, read 9,267,757 times
Alberta - ??? don't even know
British Columbia - Highway of Tears, Vancouver, cloudy weather, towns with stereotypically English names, mountains
Manitoba - Forests, freezing as ****, wolves
New Brunswick - Small fishing villages
Newfoundland - Cliffs
Nova Scotia - Conservatives, maple trees, occasional hurricanes
Ontario - Suburban hell, boring, nothing to do outside of Toronto
Prince Edward Island - Igloos, polar bears
Quebec - Snooty French people, poutine, old architecture
Saskatchewan - Wilderness, natives

Old 07-05-2014, 06:32 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,429,405 times
Quote:

Alberta - Oil, mall
British Columbia - Chinese, Hollywood North, nude beach
Manitoba - Western
New Brunswick - Eastern
Newfoundland - ummm
Nova Scotia - Worked with a hot chick from there. hubba hubba
Ontario - Toronto. Most populated (be like number 7 down here), hollywood north east
Prince Edward Island - Its an island
Quebec - ze french! Montreal! underground tunnels
Saskatchewan - big foot!

Territories - No one lives there, one is really new, diamonds!
Don't know as much as I wish, but oh well

Old 07-05-2014, 07:45 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,421,574 times
Alberta - "Texas of Canada;" oil industry; two large & similarly-sized cities; West Edmonton Mall; Calgary skyways; Canadian Rockies (ie some of the most dramatic scenery on earth)

British Columbia - more Canadian Rockies plus the Cascades; Vancouver obviously is one of the Big Three and one of the anchors of Cascadia; Victoria seems like a very very cool city as well; mild climate in the southwest

Manitoba - prairies and lakes; Winnipeg punches above its weight; unbelievably cold winters; only NDP-led province in Canada if I'm not mistaken

New Brunswick - see also: Maine; three relatively balanced cities; Moncton is the most fun to say; St. John seems cool (or at least like it has the potential to be cool), a bit like Portland, ME; Fredericton is the capital

Newfoundland (& Labrador) - nobody lives in Labrador; St. John's is one of the places I most want to visit; weird almost Scottish accent; very isolated; Newfie Time is confusingly 1.5 hours ahead of EST/ 0.5 ahead of Atlantic Time

Nova Scotia - as long east-west as the Dakotas, which is amazing considering it's one of the smallest provinces; Halifax is the biggest city in the Maritimes; setting of Trailer Park Boys; Cape Breton Island; I once met a lovely couple from Nova Scotia when I was in Toronto so I have very fond ideas about it

Ontario - vast; Toronto/Golden Horshoe is one of the largest & most populated regions in North America, as well as one of the most diverse; most of Canada's population lives in southern ON; much of ON is south of many of the US's major cities, including Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit (barely), Buffalo, Rochester, and Boston; 500 billion lakes or something; Thunder Bay is the only major city in western ON; incidentally, Canada's Wonderland (in the GTA) is one of the largest amusement parks in the world and IMO one of the best

Prince Edward Island - slightly bigger than Long Island; lovely idyllic Maritime countryside; has a bit of a stuck-up reputation I think?

Quebec - francophone, of course; active and largely unsuccessful secessionist movement; Quebec City is easily the most European city in North America; enormous arts/indie scene in Montreal; literally the size of Alaska

Saskatchewan - heart of the prairies; very big and very sparse; similar to Alberta in that it is largely dominated by two well-matched cities; comparable to the western Dakotas and eastern Montana

Yukon - most populated of the territories; Whitehorse is really the only actual city in Northern Canada; very similar to Alaska

NWT - sooooooooooooooooooooooo big; Yellowknife is the only Northern Canadian city that could ever compete with Whitehorse

Nunavut - North Pole; mostly Inuit population; largest administrative division of Canada; islands upon islands upon islands; capital is Iqaluit; northernmost permanently inhabited place in the world is Alert; similar to Greenland I believe?

Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 AM

10,721 posts, read 23,645,291 times
-Alberta: Oil/Tar Sands, Stephen Harper, Cowboys, Calgary Stampede, Lake Louise, the Rockies, more conservative than other provinces, Edmonton is the capital, Calgary is essentially like Denver and Dallas having a love child.

-British Columbia: damp, wet, and green along the coast, totem poles, Hongcouver, feels like the Pacific NW, Whistler, heli-skiing, expensive real estate.

-Manitoba: Prairies, some big lakes, Winnipeg got their NHL team back, RIP Tim McLean.

-New Brunswick: Bay of Fundy tides, St. John, a province to drive through on your way to PEI or Nova Scotia.

-Newfoundland: The Shipping News, cod, declining fishing industry, oil, Newfies (they're characters), St. John's, lots of Irish folk, very rocky landscape, North Atlantic, drifting icebergs, nearest landing to where the Titanic sank.

-Nova Scotia: Translates to New Scotland, rocky fishing harbors, looks and feels like Maine, Halifax being the largest city in the Maritimes, Peggy's Cove lighthouse adorning postcards and computer screensavers.

-Ontario: Toronto, Ottawa (national capital), the Great Lakes, has a collection of mid-sized industrial/rust belt like cities, nearly 1/3 of Canada lives in this province.

-Prince Edward Island: Landscapes of green fields, red clay, and red sand beaches, Anne of Green Gables, bucolic charm.

-Quebec: considers itself its own distinct society with Canada with French speaking Quebecois customs, has a separatist political party that has a elections to decide to separate and realizes then economic realities aren't very favorable, Montreal's cosmopolitan bustle and nightlife, Quebec City's old world European charm.

-Saskatchewan: prairies, an extension of North Dakota, the capital Regina is pronounced weird (wrong, just wrong).

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-16-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 11,707 times
I just moved from the Maine coast to the border of NB Canada in Fort Kent, ME for school, and many of my professors are Canadian. I was surprised by how little I knew about any of the provinces! I almost get uncomfortable thinking about it because I can't imagine living someplace so cold, but maybe some regions are not as cold as northern Maine

Old 11-16-2014, 12:39 PM

457 posts, read 899,934 times
True story: In 1983, I was a Boy Scout at the World Jamboree in Calgary. During our visit, our patrol spent a day rafting down a river, when another group of Scouts drifted alongside our raft. Our two groups started chatting and the conversation when like this:

Them, "Hey, where are you from?"
Us, "Fort Worth and Dallas, Texas."
Them, "Great! We love the Cowboys!"
Us, "Where are you from?"
Them, "Saskatchewan."
Us, "Saskatchewan! That is totally cool!!"
We chatted for a bit, and then our new-found friends went their own way.
After the other Scouts drifted out of earshot...
Us, to each other, "What the hell is a Saskatchewan?!?"

We were perplexed...the other Scouts talked like Americans, but they came from a place we had never heard of. In fact, "Saskatchewan" didn't even sound like it belonged on Earth, as if it was a planet from Star Trek or something. Eventually we figured out Saskatchewan was a province of Canada, and learned a lesson about our neighbors - way up north - in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.