U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:53 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,476,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to use the subway in LA, though the Hollywood/Highland station was very tempting to check out when we visited Hollywood. On pictures and videos though, LA's subway system does look very clean and well-polished too. I think Metro here in the DC area rivals LA's in terms of cleanliness. The trains are practically never dirty despite servicing a massive metropolitan area and riders of all backgrounds normally tend to adhere to the no-eating rule on the trains (the Metro buses are sort of a different story though lol...Not that they're real dirty but just not as clean as MetroRail and the riders do eat food on the bus sometimes). And the stations themselves are pretty well-kept and clean with only minimal grit. Even in the rougher neighborhoods here in the DMV, the stations are very clean and fairly well-weathered.
I do agree that Washington DC has the cleanest subway system in the entire Northeast Corridor. I think we can both agree that New York City has the dirtiest subway system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,981,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Look at the common patterns of subway systems in the United States, almost all cities(with the exception of Chicago) have their downtown stations underground and are more likely to have elevated tracks the further it gets from the core. If you notice, there are very few(if any) suburbs that have underground subway stations. Suburbs(excluding satellite cities) that have a metro line going through that town will almost certainly be an elevated station.
Yeah...it's usually cheaper to build above grade and always cheapest to build at-grade than underground. So for areas with dense urban fabric that we no longer want to demolish, you've usually got to go underground if you want the most efficient system, but as you get less density then you can shift to a cheaper alternative.

Quote:
I do agree that Washington DC has the cleanest subway system in the entire Northeast Corridor. I think we can both agree that New York City has the dirtiest subway system.
This is what I have always said but many of my friends disagree with me!! Among the older, comprehensive transit systems in the country, DC easily has the cleanest trains and stations imo.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,395,785 times
Quote:
Most definitely haha When I rode the NYC Subway when visiting for the first time back in '03, the trains we rode were pretty dirty with litter and grimy windows and a little bit of basic graffiti (the amateur stuff you see on public restroom door stalls lol), and this was in Times Square and Rockefeller Center. However, back in 2012, the trains we rode between Fort Greene and the FiDi were pretty clean that time around. They looked like they were new cars too. The stations were still nasty as hell though.....LOL

Old 07-04-2014, 01:52 AM

305 posts, read 238,514 times
In Atlanta most people just call it the "train." I will mostly hear people say, "I am taking the train to work" or "I am taking the train to the game." Usually if somebody asks where the nearest subway is located, I often think of the restaurant, just because so few people use the term "subway" in this city.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:47 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,274,340 times
They're all what you either call "rapid transit" or a "pre-metro"(underground light rail). Even Chicago has subway portions of it's system (blue and red lines) and I know the SEPTA in Philly is more subway, than el. Also, Other cities with subways, and premetros (or portions where the train goes underground) include Boston, Baltimore, DC, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and possibly a few more.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:07 AM

56,705 posts, read 81,017,273 times
The Buffalo "Subway" - YouTube

Special 4-car NFTA Metro train, at LaSalle Station 9-2-12 - YouTube

Buffalo Subway - YouTube

Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 933,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Los Angeles has subways. One line is currently being extended westward.

Washington DC has subways.
In DC is called the Metro, not "subways" .. If you refer to the metro as "the subway" people will look at you like you are crazy and you might as well wear a t-shirt that screams "Im a TOURIST"

Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,525,539 times
I think New York is the only city that calls it a subway. I've never heard it called that anywhere else.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:46 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,398,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think New York is the only city that calls it a subway. I've never heard it called that anywhere else.
We call the Broad street line the subway-or sub in Philly.

Regional Rail is "the train", the Market Frankford line is "the el" and the trolleys are "the trolley" haha.

I think Patco is just "the patco".

Old 07-05-2014, 04:22 PM

56 posts, read 61,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
In DC is called the Metro, not "subways" .. If you refer to the metro as "the subway" people will look at you like you are crazy and you might as well wear a t-shirt that screams "Im a TOURIST"

Yup, spot on! It's the Metro in DC: if you say, "I took the subway to work," we would assume that you ate at a Subway. Obviously, I'm exaggerating a bit, but we like to pretend we don't know what subways are to prove to New Yorkers that we don't need them. ("I took the subway to work." "Oh, really? What's a subway? Here we only have the Metro.")

Also, for rapid-transit systems other than NYC's, we call them the metro: "Hey, mom, you don't have to pick me up from the San Francisco airport: I'm taking the metro to your house."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.