U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,447,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollo02 View Post
Okay folks, my wife and I have spent 2 years trying to figure out where to move, and despite having made countless numbers of lists, consulted dozens of websites, and weighed about a million options, we're nowhere closer to a decision. But with our house selling within a month, we now have a short window to finally make a decision. So here are the things we're looking for, and I'm hoping this "hail mary" will lead to something. We have the ability to move anywhere, since our jobs are mobile and we have no kids, although for the moment we're focused on the East Coast. I've tried to rank the "needs" and "wants" in order of priority.

Needs
-------

- Low crime rates: where we live now, property crime is abundant and so this is a major consideration
- Somewhere with a more rural (or at most suburban) feel, but within 20-30 minutes from cultural events like plays, music (folk, world, classical), talks/lectures, etc. It's the access to cultural events that conflicts the most with a number of the other "needs" on this list
- Within 30 minutes of at least a regional airport with commercial carriers (Delta preferably). Doesn't need to have direct flights to everywhere
- Within 30 minutes of a large body of water that allows swimming
- Somewhere where it's affordable to rent a 3BR single-family detached home for less than $2,000/month. This also conflicts with a number of other items on the "needs" list
- Possible to get to true nature (not just a small park) within 30 minutes
- Within 40 minutes of a professional baseball team (minor leagues preferred, but majors would do too)
- At least somewhat diverse (i.e., not 95% white)
- Vegetarian food options
- Progressive would be ideal, but at least not very conservative/religious
- Not sweltering hot or freezing cold for most of the year (it can be either of these some of the time)
- Quality schools at the elementary school level
- Decent job possibilities (nonprofit law and medical field)

Wants
-------

- independent movie theatre within 20 minutes
- walkable in-town areas
- not excessive car traffic
- dog friendly

Places we've considered
----------------------------

- Asheville, NC: still in consideration, but not close to water, not that many nonprofit legal jobs, and not super affordable. Its property crime rates are a bit high too.
- Fayetteville and Little Rock, AR: concerned about the crime rates, esp. in Little Rock.
- Peachtree City, GA: this is our "compromise pick", in that it doesn't excite us but it does meet a number of the criteria above and it has low crime rates.
- Decatur, GA: another compromise pick.
- Portland, ME: we like Portland a lot, but a) it's very white and b) we're not certain we can find an affordable place outside the city that's still close by.
- Northampton, MA: we like Northampton, but it's not close to water and it's on the outer edge of distance to an airport (45 minutes). We're also not sure how affordable it is.
- Burlington and Middlebury, VT: we determined it's just too cold in the winter and the winter lasts too long.
- Ithaca, NY: too expensive, crime rates too high
- Takoma Park, MD: we can't afford it, and it's a bit too urban
- Bloomington, IN: just added to the list today, and so haven't gotten too far into it, but it looks pretty good other than its distance from the airport (about an hour)

Okay, any thoughts people have on either the above-listed places or on any other places we should consider would be most welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
JP
IN and AR are not east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM

21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I feel certain the OP understands that...

Old 07-03-2014, 11:58 AM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Richmond or the Tidewater/Hampton Roads areas in VA.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-03-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 PM

19 posts, read 18,074 times
Quote:
Yes, sorry, I should've amended the subject line because by the time I put up the post we had changed from "only East Coast" to "primarily focused on East Coast", and so some non-East Coast places made it onto the list.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:25 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,463,600 times
Reading the OPs wants makes me think this person should focus on the northeast. Several of the possible cities are in the south, and even in a liberal southern city like Ashville you will find a lot of conservatism and religious culture. Also the area around a city like that is much more conservative yet. At best you would be on a island of liberalism, surrounded by a sea of "red state America". Most people who are "progressive" tolerate the south at best, some hate it. I am the opposite of the OP, I am a conservative living in the south, and if I had to live in a northeastern city I would be miserable. I can see the OP feeling that way about living here. I would say the same thing about his Midwestern choices, while that region is not as "red state", its still a very conservative culture compared to the northeast and it may still grate upon the OPs nerves if they are looking for a progressive environment. In my opinion the nicest part of the northeast is by far New England. Boston is expensive, but a very nice city. Vermont and New Hampshire are beautiful places if you like the rural New England lifestyle of those places.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Reading the OPs wants makes me think this person should focus on the northeast. Several of the possible cities are in the south, and even in a liberal southern city like Ashville you will find a lot of conservatism and religious culture. Also the area around a city like that is much more conservative yet. At best you would be on a island of liberalism, surrounded by a sea of "red state America". Most people who are "progressive" tolerate the south at best, some hate it. I am the opposite of the OP, I am a conservative living in the south, and if I had to live in a northeastern city I would be miserable. I can see the OP feeling that way about living here. I would say the same thing about his Midwestern choices, while that region is not as "red state", its still a very conservative culture compared to the northeast and it may still grate upon the OPs nerves if they are looking for a progressive environment. In my opinion the nicest part of the northeast is by far New England. Boston is expensive, but a very nice city. Vermont and New Hampshire are beautiful places if you like the rural New England lifestyle of those places.
While I think the Northeast has many option based on the criteria, there are areas in the South and Midwest that would fit much or most of the criteria.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:13 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,869,290 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Boone-North-Carolina.html

I just noticed you said Ithaca NY is too expensive. Sorry forget my recommendation.

Last edited by PDD; 07-03-2014 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 05:26 PM

373 posts, read 265,478 times
Hendersonville, TN. outside of Nashville. Yes, I know not on your list.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,400,177 times
Madison, WI. If you are considering Bloomington, IN., Madison is a larger version. It is both a state capitol and a major college town.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:30 PM

19 posts, read 18,074 times
It occurred to me I never wrote to thank people for giving such thoughtful consideration to my difficult request. It might not surprise people to learn that my wife and I are still looking (if you're curious, check out Looking for the impossible on the East Coast, where the search continued, and where I'm going to post another update).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.