Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,277,075 times

Advertisements

A state in the South which is mostly transplants from other parts of the country? It seems midwesterners and northeasterners are moving to NC in droves in the last 20 years or so. I noticed the Triangle cities and Charlotte had a significant population of transplants.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 PM

2,924 posts, read 5,586,847 times
NC is the new florida

without south florida

or orlando

or tampa

Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
NC is the new florida

without south florida

or orlando

or tampa
Was this was posted as some sort to "dig" to NC?

As someone who lives in both states, I think that each state attracts its own crowd. For NC in the Triangle and Charlotte, that overall crowd tends to be more highly educated and professional compared to what I see coming into Florida. This can be attributed to decades of foundational work in both areas of NC on key industries like Tech, Biotech & Finance.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 AM

644 posts, read 1,424,255 times
Or JAX
Or the panhandle
Or Daytona

Old 03-31-2013, 12:50 AM

4,573 posts, read 7,473,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Was this was posted as some sort to "dig" to NC?

As someone who lives in both states, I think that each state attracts its own crowd. For NC in the Triangle and Charlotte, that overall crowd tends to be more highly educated and professional compared to what I see coming into Florida. This can be attributed to decades of foundational work in both areas of NC on key industries like Tech, Biotech & Finance.
The point is that North Carolina is not remotely similar to Florida.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
The point is that North Carolina is not remotely similar to Florida.
I think that the intention of the OP is to compare the flood of migration to NC as similar to that of Florida.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:44 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,452,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think that the intention of the OP is to compare the flood of migration to NC as similar to that of Florida.
I agree with this interpretation. And, without looking at actual numbers, I'm guessing that both the numbers and makeup of the influx to the two states is significantly different. When I think of migrants to Florida, I focus on retirees. When I do the same for NC, I think of retirees (Asheville and other mountain towns, Southern Pines & vicinity, and the coast) AND I think of workers moving to Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle. And in both states, I'm pretty sure the native, multiple-generation population is saying "oh crap, they're still coming." This was true of my experience in the Triangle. I moved there in 1974, stayed there until 2008, at which time my wife and I had had enough of the non-stop growth and loss of the charm that drew us there in the first place. While not a native Tar Heel, I was there long enough to watch the area boom (and I felt good about that, for a while) and then realized housing prices were being driven up (a coworker moving from Boston actually complained he couldn't spend as much as he wanted for a house!) and that I was driving far more than I used to (the area's spread out so much that public transit, esp'ly light rail) isn't viable. We moved to Philly and couldn't be happier.
Like I said, this is purely anecdotal. I'd like to see actual numbers - # of migrants, demographic breakdown, etc.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,971,772 times
NC is becoming the leftie capital of the south.

The people who transplant from the NE and other liberal bastions are electing the very same type of tax and spend leftist politicians that caused them to leave the high tax states to begin with.

No thank you.

I'll be headed to Texas thank you!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,537,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
NC is becoming the leftie capital of the south.

The people who transplant from the NE and other liberal bastions are electing the very same type of tax and spend leftist politicians that caused them to leave the high tax states to begin with.

No thank you.

I'll be headed to Texas thank you!
What a crock.

While I do agree that many transplants to NC, especially those from the northeast, are fairly naive when thinking that they aren't changing the state drastically...they certainly aren't turning it into the CA Bay Area.

NC just elected a conservative republican governor and republicans gained control of both the state house AND senate in 2010 for the first time in over 100 years.

As far as the original question goes;

Yes. NC has become the new "it" destination for transplants; especially those from the Northeast and, ironically enough, Florida. However that is not turning it into a "leftist" state. The most liberal part of NC is Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro and that area is liberal because of the university presence.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:44 PM

27 posts, read 56,394 times
Is the 2013 consensus still the majority opinion? Or is NC becoming overly built-out, congested, crowed with tourists + cheap attractions and a never ending flood of transplants?
(no offense intended, describing FL here in an effort to discover if NC is having a similar experience)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.