U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:46 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,436 posts, read 2,129,421 times
Reputation: 2262

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh I knew that. I see them cutting them up in the drive through window all the time.

McDonald's fries are some of the tastiest you can get & they are frozen. I prefer McDonald's & Whataburger's fries to In N Outs any day.
That's because McDonald's cooks their fries in beef tallow. In-N-Out doesn't. They cook their potstoes in regular oil, canola, I believe.

Honestly, McDonald's and In-N-Out can't and shouldn't be compared. Ingredients alone, they are set far apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2014, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,142,083 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
That's because McDonald's cooks their fries in beef tallow. In-N-Out doesn't. They cook their potstoes in regular oil, canola, I believe.

Honestly, McDonald's and In-N-Out can't and shouldn't be compared. Ingredients alone, they are set far apart.
We comparing French Fries here not a cut of meat or how it was raised & processed.

You can store frozen fries for years & they'll still be good after you cook them.

I still stand behind my statement that In N Out's fries SUCK. Doesn't matter if they're freshly cut they taste like cardboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,242,928 times
Reputation: 3352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
By the way, there's an In-N-Out a six-minute walk from my apartment and I have been there about four times in three years. I went to Whataburger about the same number of times in 20 years. Yeah, Whataburger sucks. In-N-Out is at least fresh. Whatever. I don't seek validation in fast food wrappers.

Ask for the fries at In-N-Out "well-done". You'll thank me.
I had to ask for the fries well done when I lived in the Bay Area. In SoCal, I hardly ever have to do that.

However, the quality of the meat seemed slightly better, as I remember it, on the Peninsula just south of SF (there is one location each in Millbrae, Redwood City, San Carlos, and two in Mountain View that immediately come to mind). Don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
We comparing French Fries here not a cut of meat or how it was raised & processed.

You can store frozen fries for years & they'll still be good after you cook them.

I still stand behind my statement that In N Out's fries SUCK. Doesn't matter if they're freshly cut they taste like cardboard.
They don't suck. However, this is contingent on how each restaurant cooks their fries. Like I said, in some locations, the fries are better cooked when you say "well done," b/c otherwise they'll undercook or inadequately cook them. In other locations, they do a pretty good job, enough that if you say "well done," they would actually then overcook them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,273,191 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
We comparing French Fries here not a cut of meat or how it was raised & processed.

You can store frozen fries for years & they'll still be good after you cook them.

I still stand behind my statement that In N Out's fries SUCK. Doesn't matter if they're freshly cut they taste like cardboard.
I stand by my assessment that you are basing your opinion on what you've read from Whataburger boosters. If you had actually tried In-N-Out's fries, you'd know that what they taste like is potatoes. Freshly cooked in transfat-free oil ones, at that. They are lightly fried to retain their firmness and flavor. They are also freshly prepared, so anyone who knows anything about In-N-Out, knows that if you like fries that are more in the realm of other fast food joints, you can simply ask for them "well done" and they will fry them crisper for you.

The advantages of using fresh-cut potatoes--the flavor of potatoes, not fryer grease is what you taste in the fries and cook time is reduced, so fries can be made to order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,039,316 times
Reputation: 3829
Seriously , In N Out fries are not soggy or stale.
Freshly cut sure tastes a lot better than the chemical *****$torm you find from most other fast food restuarants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,142,083 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I had to ask for the fries well done when I lived in the Bay Area. In SoCal, I hardly ever have to do that.

However, the quality of the meat seemed slightly better, as I remember it, on the Peninsula just south of SF (there is one location each in Millbrae, Redwood City, San Carlos, and two in Mountain View that immediately come to mind). Don't know why.



They don't suck. However, this is contingent on how each restaurant cooks their fries. Like I said, in some locations, the fries are better cooked when you say "well done," b/c otherwise they'll undercook or inadequately cook them. In other locations, they do a pretty good job, enough that if you say "well done," they would actually then overcook them.
So much for In N Out's claim of consistency throughout its non-franchised restaurants. That just flew out the window with your own statement of telling them how to cook the fries.

Now tell me how a non-franchise works better than a franchise, I'd love to hear it.

This is gonna be good...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,142,083 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I stand by my assessment that you are basing your opinion on what you've read from Whataburger boosters. If you had actually tried In-N-Out's fries, you'd know that what they taste like is potatoes. Freshly cooked in transfat-free oil ones, at that. They are lightly fried to retain their firmness and flavor. They are also freshly prepared, so anyone who knows anything about In-N-Out, knows that if you like fries that are more in the realm of other fast food joints, you can simply ask for them "well done" and they will fry them crisper for you.

The advantages of using fresh-cut potatoes--the flavor of potatoes, not fryer grease is what you taste in the fries and cook time is reduced, so fries can be made to order.
Being a good old East Texas boy yourself I'm sure you have tried Jucy's, which blows In N Out away. It is consistently rated one of the top 10 burger joints in Texas year after year by Texas Highways Magazine.

They also freshly cut their fries, yet their fries are somehow 1,000 times better than In N Out's. Speaking of which, their famous hot beans & chilli you get complimentary with every meal are to die for. As for their fried pickles & onion rings dear God you'll think you've died & gone to heaven.

Explain that.

http://peepmeat.com/images/uploads/4...27SDC10059.JPG

http://www.jucyshamburgers.com/about-us

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-07-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,273,191 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Being a good old East Texas boy yourself I'm sure you have tried Jucy's, which blows In N Out away. It is consistently rated one of the top 15 burger joints in Texas year after year.

They also freshly cut their fries, yet their fries are somehow 1,000 times better than In N Out's. Speaking of which, their famous hot beans & chilli you get free with every mean are to die for.

Explain that.
I don't know anything about "Jucy's" I haven't lived in East Texas for about 25 years. I'd assume, though, that you'd like their fries for the same reason you already stated, that they fry them in some kind of fatty grease. Just an assumption, though. Unlike you, I don't talk about things I don't know about. And I don't divert the conversation when challenged, as you are attempting to do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,142,083 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I don't know anything about "Jucy's" I haven't lived in East Texas for about 25 years. I'd assume, though, that you'd like their fries for the same reason you already stated, that they fry them in some kind of fatty grease. Just an assumption, though. Unlike you, I don't talk about things I don't know about. And I don't divert the conversation when challenged, as you are attempting to do now.
They've only been a staple here for the past 34 years & running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,273,191 times
Reputation: 3145
Okay. So what?

How is that relevant to the fact that you have never tried In-N-Out, yet continue to offer your opinions on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top