U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:22 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,264,682 times

Advertisements

PS--there are many better burger joints than In-N-Out across Texas, California and beyond. In-N-Out gets its following based on fresh ingredients, price, and customer experience for a quick-serve restaurant. It is not a specialty burger joint. Their menu has 3-4 items on it. You would know this if you had been there.

By the way, back on topic regarding Jucy's: I looked at the pic you provided--greasy, gross, limp fries--transparent with grease! The bagged, processed lettuce on the burger says a lot about the quality of their ingredients, too. The meat did look good, though. I'd bet it's fresh and not frozen, based on appearance.

Last edited by dalparadise; 07-07-2014 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 01:42 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,020,104 times
In N Out Competes with fast food joints. An as far as I'm concerned they are the best in that niche.

On the other hand there are tons of places that do burgers better, but you are paying the price.

Umami Burger has shops in NY, CA, Nevada and Illinois. Fast casual (not fast food)
Somebody else managed The Habit, another SoCal Burger Joint. If you are going to pay a five guys price for a burger, you may as well get something good.

Pacific Whey (another growing Orange County operation) is more like a Corner Bakery, but make a very, very good burger.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:48 PM

2,881 posts, read 4,616,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
In N Out Competes with fast food joints. An as far as I'm concerned they are the best in that niche.

On the other hand there are tons of places that do burgers better, but you are paying the price.

Umami Burger has shops in NY, CA, Nevada and Illinois. Fast casual (not fast food)
Somebody else managed The Habit, another SoCal Burger Joint. If you are going to pay a five guys price for a burger, you may as well get something good.

Pacific Whey (another growing Orange County operation) is more like a Corner Bakery, but make a very, very good burger.
Yeah, it's fast food. There are tons of better burger joints in California too, but not better fast food burger chains. And they treat their employees well, which counts for a lot.

BTW I believe the Habit is opening in NJ soon.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:

That was my point, too. The industry term for "fast food" is QSR-Quick Serve Restaurant. Yes, Umami is awesome. Super Duper Burger and Roam are great too. None of these is a competitor for any fast food joint, though.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,228,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So much for In N Out's claim of consistency throughout its non-franchised restaurants. That just flew out the window with your own statement of telling them how to cook the fries.

Now tell me how a non-franchise works better than a franchise, I'd love to hear it.

This is gonna be good...
The quality of the ingredients, service, atmosphere, and architecture, as well as what the company pays its restaurant staff and management, are consistent across the board. They haven't needed to go public and be accountable to shareholders; they are still family-owned with a few hundred employees working at their corporate offices in Baldwin Park and Irvine.

It still functions like a small company at heart. Sure, some restaurants have better or worse management, training and cooks than others. But it generally doesn't matter if you're in San Diego or Sacramento, you can expect the quality to be pretty consistent.

Now I've heard that INO's burgers at their Texas locations are fine, but the quality of the produce (which is Texas/southern Plains-grown produce) isn't as great. But maybe that's because...if you just think about, maybe it's because California's Central Valley has some similarities to Texas, but a major difference is that the CV has some of the world's most valuable agricultural land. I mean, just sayin', just sayin'...

On a totally different note for anyone who reads this, I agree that INO is top notch for fast food. I don't think we're necessarily comparing INO to the likes of Umami and The Habit, but rather to the likes of Sonic, Whataburger, Five Guys, etc. And, for the record, Habit has a ridiculously awesome teriyaki burger with pineapple; I first tried them in San Mateo with sweet potato fries and the lunch is worth the money you pay! Slater's 50/50 in Orange County draws people from as far away as the Inland Empire, and their bacon/hamburger patty (1/2 and 1/2 each) is excellent.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,106,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
The quality of the ingredients, service, atmosphere, and architecture, as well as what the company pays its restaurant staff and management, are consistent across the board. They haven't needed to go public and be accountable to shareholders; they are still family-owned with a few hundred employees working at their corporate offices in Baldwin Park and Irvine.

It still functions like a small company at heart. Sure, some restaurants have better or worse management, training and cooks than others. But it generally doesn't matter if you're in San Diego or Sacramento, you can expect the quality to be pretty consistent.

Now I've heard that INO's burgers at their Texas locations are fine, but the quality of the produce (which is Texas/southern Plains-grown produce) isn't as great. But maybe that's because...if you just think about, maybe it's because California's Central Valley has some similarities to Texas, but a major difference is that the CV has some of the world's most valuable agricultural land. I mean, just sayin', just sayin'...

On a totally different note for anyone who reads this, I agree that INO is top notch for fast food. I don't think we're necessarily comparing INO to the likes of Umami and The Habit, but rather to the likes of Sonic, Whataburger, Five Guys, etc. And, for the record, Habit has a ridiculously awesome teriyaki burger with pineapple; I first tried them in San Mateo with sweet potato fries and the lunch is worth the money you pay! Slater's 50/50 in Orange County draws people from as far away as the Inland Empire, and their bacon/hamburger patty (1/2 and 1/2 each) is excellent.
Hows that 100 year mega drought treating y'all out there?

I heard it hasn't rained out there in almost a year.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...237740821.html

Its "drier than popcorn in the desert" one California man says.

On the flip side, thankful for Texas, all of our lakes East of the I-35 corridor (where the majority of Texans live) are right at 100% pool due to an unusually wet Spring & Summer. Some of Texas is dry, yes, but its nothing like what California is going through...not even close.

http://www.waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-07-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,228,890 times
Quote:

No Rain in Sight as Los Angeles Nears Its Record for Driest Year Ever | NBC Southern California

On the flip side, thankful for Texas, all of our lakes East of the I-35 corridor (where the majority of Texans live) are right at 100% pool due to an unusually wet Spring & Summer. Some of Texas is dry, yes, but its nothing like what California is going through...not even close.

Water Data For Texas

United States Drought Monitor > Home
My line's drawn: I am as civil and polite as anyone on this forum, but I also do not want to see this thread derailed, nor do I want to be responsible for contributing to its derailment.

Find one of the numerous Texas v. California threads/pissing matches on C-D and argue water matters there.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:31 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,484,141 times
Quote:
Seriously , In N Out fries are not soggy or stale.
Freshly cut sure tastes a lot better than the chemical *****$torm you find from most other fast food restuarants

Any place that doesn’t add a pinch of dimethylpolysiloxane to its fries just ‘aint cooking with love:

It turns out that there are 17 ingredients in MickeyD’s French fries! They contain:

-Potatoes (whew! I’m glad that was the first ingredient)
-Canola oil—Most canola oil is now genetically-modified.
-Hydrogenated soybean oil—Like canola oil, most soybean oil is now extracted from genetically-modified soybeans. Plus the hydrogenation process makes the oil more saturated than it would be in its natural form, and unhealthy.
-Safflower oil—Believed to be a healthier cooking oil, most safflower is unfortunately heated to high temperatures long before it is ever used for cooking, causing it to be chemically-altered from the heat, and a source of inflammation in the body when that is the case.
-”Natural flavor”—McDonald’s natural flavor is apparently obtained from a vegetable source, but the “natural” moniker means nothing since it can even potentially contain the nerve- and brain-toxin monosodium glutamate (MSG).
-Dextrose—a type of sugar.
-Sodium acid pyrophosphate—This ingredient is apparently used to maintain the color of the fries. On the chemical industry’s own safety data sheets it is listed as hazardous for ingestion, which is exactly what you’ll be doing if you eat those French fries.
-Citric acid—used as a preservative.
-Dimethylpolysiloxane—used as an anti-foaming agent, this industrial chemical is typically used in caulking and sealants and comes with a list of safety concerns.
-Vegetable oil for frying, which is a blend of 7 ingredients, including: canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with tert-butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), citric acid, and dimethylpolysiloxane. We discussed most of these ingredients above. Corn oil, like its canola and soybean counterparts is now primarily made of genetically-modified corn.
TBHQ is a petroleum-based, butane-like (yes, that’s lighter fluid!) ingredient used as a preservative. It has been linked to asthma, skin conditions, hormone disruption, and in long-term animal studies to cancer and damage to DNA.

Shocking Ingredients in McDonald

Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,750,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlong View Post
In-N-out is great, but backyard burgers, checkers, and bojangles all located in the southeast exclusively are all better.
LMAO!! Ive done several cross country trips and have eaten at all these, not even in the same league as In-N-Out. The only one that comes close is Five Guys.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:

No Rain in Sight as Los Angeles Nears Its Record for Driest Year Ever | NBC Southern California

Water Data For Texas

United States Drought Monitor > Home
Things are fine here, thanks for asking. Another attempt to derail the thread? Why don't you admit that you've never been to In-N-Out, then tell why you'd come on an Internet forum and state opinions about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.