U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times

Advertisements

[quote=joe_obody999;35504483]i am just drained, depressed about where to move to, any help greatly appreciated. Everywhere i discover for moving seems to have a major drawback-- dreary long rainy 9 months in Portland, snakes snakes snakes in SE USA, no lush green in arid AZ, boatloads of snow in Boulder CO. I can't take another winter in MN so I am desperately looking to move somewhere:

• with little to no snow to shovel, so tired of shoveling snow
  • without snakes creeping around in one's yard
  • affordable 3BR home ($300,000 max)
  • property taxes on such a home not excessive, preferably 1% of the home's value or less
  • crime index 400 or less
  • at least partly sunny much of the year
  • green (not desert); ideally trees lining neighborhood streets
  • 50% or higher white population demographics
  • academic community (college in the town)
  • commercial airport nearby for travel
  • requisite stores and such: barnes and nobel or similar bookstore, starbucks, fitness center
  • culture in the form of theatre/symphony/concerts
  • bicycle friendly so i can exercise by bicycling to a coffee shop most mornings

Carrboro, NC (population 19K) would be an excellent option. It gets very little snow, it's not "snake haven", has affordable homes under 300K, property taxes in line with your criteria, very low crime (crime index 250), 218 days a year where it's predominately sunny (considerably more where it's at least partly sunny), it's very green in terms of trees, consists of 71% White/10% Black/8% Asian/7.5% Middle Eastern and 13.5% Hispanic residents, seamlessly adjoins neighboring Chapel Hill (population 58K) which is the home of the University of North Carolina (a majority of Carrboro residents attend/work there), it's 30 minutes from Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU), has a couple of smaller independent bookstores as well as a Barnes and Noble less than 15 minutes away, plenty of coffee shop options including Starbucks (3 in neighboring Chapel Hill), a vast selection of cultural events in Carrboro alone, it's very bike-friendly, very walkable for the most part and has excellent public transit for a small town with free bus service for all residents (fixed-route) in Carrboro and Chapel HIll.

An overview of Carrboro, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 07:10 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
Knoxville fits the bill. In a neighborhood environment you rarely encounter snakes. This is true for most of the SE so you obviously have lots of cities to choose from. Does having pets help? Seems like you need to get educated on snakes. Buy gaiters for when you want to work in the yard???

Old 07-04-2014, 02:10 PM

385 posts, read 533,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Ventura, CA. There are some houses in that budget and there are townhouses, and there are more in nearby Oxnard. It has everything else except the airport---you'd need to go to LAX.
I am actually looking at that area today, general area, even thinking a few years perhaps something like Thousand Oaks CA (can't afford that just yet), but thinking north of LA, find the right town. I will take a closer look at Venture CA.

Thank you to everybody!

Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 PM

158 posts, read 269,518 times
Look at Branson, MO. I lived there for 2 years and it fits all of your requirements. The nearest big city is Springfield, MO about 45 min away for better shopping and a bigger airport. I am a city person, so it was too small town for me, but a lot of people love it.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,712,059 times
Atlanta

Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
Uh - oh my neighbor just told me he killed a snake in his back yard. It does back up to an overgrown area, though. Maybe a well manicured condo if you move to the SE.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,105,231 times
I'd say San Diego but I don't think you can get a house there for $300,000.
Las Vegas?

Old 07-07-2014, 07:00 AM

385 posts, read 533,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I'd say San Diego but I don't think you can get a house there for $300,000.
Las Vegas?
yeah, stinks, you need $ to escape the cold climates it seems, spot on for San Diego for anything decent. I l got all excited about cheap homes in vegas until i realized the home developments are like a giant ant colony with homes jammed next to each other and all looking the same (good luck when dementia starts kicking in as you will not be able to tell your home from the 1000 others in the neighborhood that all are identical).

Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,942,704 times
Kansas City meets most of your requirements... biggest discrepancy is the snow, but it isn't as bad as a lot of cities further north or on the Great Lakes.

Do you have size limitations?

Eugene or Salem in Oregon seem to fit the bill pretty well, even Portland (more expensive though.)

Omaha and Tulsa are *pretty* close as well, you can draw an almost straight line north to south through Omaha, KC, and Tulsa. Louisville is pretty close as well if you want to be further East... it may have a few more snakes, but it isn't LA, AR, MS, AL, etc....

Maybe Virginia Beach, VA?

If you are open to college cities just above 100k in population, you could go with Iowa City or Columbia, MO.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Atlanta
Atlanta meets like two of the requirements, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or