U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:06 PM

55,663 posts, read 74,604,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Today is always a fun day for our family. I'm really looking forward to a back yard full of kids and dogs running through the sprinkler and blowing bubbles, while the adults grill and sit around and chat and drink ice cold tea and beer. After our meal of BBQ, hot dogs, and all that other good stuff, we'll have a red white and blue dessert of strawberry and blueberry shortcake. Tonight the kids will catch fireflies and play with sparklers and if we're lucky we'll be able to see the fireworks display that's close by, from our backyard.

Some of my favorite things about living in the US, and in Texas, are (in no particular order!):

1) Life in the suburbs. I know some people hate on it, but personally I love most of our neighborhoods, with their green lawns and wide streets, neighbors walking in the evening, and private backyards and patios. In ours, we even have an ice cream truck that comes around each evening!

2) Our big, bustling cities. We have some of the most impressive metro areas in the world. If urban life is what you want, with public transportation, high rise apartments, arts and sporting events and everything in between right at your fingertips, you've got a really wide range of top notch cities to choose from. Just pick your weather pattern - from subtropical New Orleans to the four seasons of New York City.

3) I love our standard of customer service. Sure, there are some bad apples out there but world wide we are known for high customer service standards. Not only that, but between our "real life" shopping options and the internet, we can get just about anything we want or need within three days. Overnight if we want to pay the shipping costs!

4) Diversity - I personally love it. I love the blend of cultures that make up the United States. What an impact on our lifestyles - from music to clothing to food, literature, movies, history, you name it. Sometimes we're not even aware of the influences of many cultures, but this country truly is a melting pot.

5) I love our traditions and I love that they are unique and vary from region to region. Here in Texas, people pull over and stop their cars when a funeral procession goes by - for any funeral procession, from the former mayor to the guy who mowed lawns for a living. Some people get out of their cars and stand solemnly and men remove their hats. The other day, as we were following the hearse carrying my husband's uncle's body, we saw a grandfather and his little grandson get out and stand beside their pickup truck, and if it had been possible, I would have stopped and told that gentleman "Thank you for setting such a good example for your grandson."

6) I love the different cuisines that this country has to offer - from Tex Mex to California's creative fusions, to New England clam chowder to the spicy mix of Cajun cooking - French, African, British, Spanish, German, Italian, and Native American. Go to Houston or Chicago or any other number of cities across this country, and you can find just about any sort of cuisine you want, from all corners of the globe. You can find pure examples, and you can find cuisines that are impacted by and adapted to American styles. Our creativity is exemplified in our restaurants and kitchens.

7) The arts - from the stage to the studio, the American imagination bursts onto the world scene with an exuberance that cannot be ignored. Our stadiums and theaters and museums and clubs and venues are filled to bursting with artists and those who admire their work. Every corner of our globe has been impacted by American creativity and the ideas and self expression keep coming.

8) Natural beauty - This country is amazing. The coastlines, the mountain ranges, the vast lakes and mighty rivers, the rolling prairies and the haunting hollows of the Appalachians, the desolation of our deserts and the patchwork of fertile farms across the midwest...whether you want "wow factor" or a quiet, peaceful view you can get it all here.

There's a lot more I love about this country but that will do for now. Your turn!
Overall higher sense of ethics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:06 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,818,501 times
I love how our country is so massive, we have 50+ major cities to discuss and discuss about!

Old 07-04-2014, 03:23 PM

89 posts, read 108,098 times
I only visited this magnificent country last summer when I turned 16 and it was the most beautiful experience of my life. I've always loved the USA, I love the neighborhoods with all the houses, some people are chillin', others are working, kids having fun, it's all good. I visited California because one of my relatives owns a truck company there, and I really loved it. He took me on a trip with him around California, from Los Angeles to San Jose exactly, I don't know, there's a special vibe, I liked the cars, the highways, the palm trees, the hills, the language, everything that surrounded me. I also visited Hollywood and Venice Beach, they were both amazing, it just felt right, I live in Italy but I was born in Romania and I have some things on my mind everyday but those days were just pure happiness. I moved more than once in my life but I've never found a place that I could call "home". Instead, I would love to move to the USA and call that place "home", I just hope it will be possible in the future, it is my only goal for reaching happiness in this world. Happy Independence Day America!

Old 07-04-2014, 07:35 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Today is always a fun day for our family. I'm really looking forward to a back yard full of kids and dogs running through the sprinkler and blowing bubbles, while the adults grill and sit around and chat and drink ice cold tea and beer. After our meal of BBQ, hot dogs, and all that other good stuff, we'll have a red white and blue dessert of strawberry and blueberry shortcake. Tonight the kids will catch fireflies and play with sparklers and if we're lucky we'll be able to see the fireworks display that's close by, from our backyard.

Some of my favorite things about living in the US, and in Texas, are (in no particular order!):

1) Life in the suburbs. I know some people hate on it, but personally I love most of our neighborhoods, with their green lawns and wide streets, neighbors walking in the evening, and private backyards and patios. In ours, we even have an ice cream truck that comes around each evening!

2) Our big, bustling cities. We have some of the most impressive metro areas in the world. If urban life is what you want, with public transportation, high rise apartments, arts and sporting events and everything in between right at your fingertips, you've got a really wide range of top notch cities to choose from. Just pick your weather pattern - from subtropical New Orleans to the four seasons of New York City.

3) I love our standard of customer service. Sure, there are some bad apples out there but world wide we are known for high customer service standards. Not only that, but between our "real life" shopping options and the internet, we can get just about anything we want or need within three days. Overnight if we want to pay the shipping costs!

4) Diversity - I personally love it. I love the blend of cultures that make up the United States. What an impact on our lifestyles - from music to clothing to food, literature, movies, history, you name it. Sometimes we're not even aware of the influences of many cultures, but this country truly is a melting pot.

5) I love our traditions and I love that they are unique and vary from region to region. Here in Texas, people pull over and stop their cars when a funeral procession goes by - for any funeral procession, from the former mayor to the guy who mowed lawns for a living. Some people get out of their cars and stand solemnly and men remove their hats. The other day, as we were following the hearse carrying my husband's uncle's body, we saw a grandfather and his little grandson get out and stand beside their pickup truck, and if it had been possible, I would have stopped and told that gentleman "Thank you for setting such a good example for your grandson."

6) I love the different cuisines that this country has to offer - from Tex Mex to California's creative fusions, to New England clam chowder to the spicy mix of Cajun cooking - French, African, British, Spanish, German, Italian, and Native American. Go to Houston or Chicago or any other number of cities across this country, and you can find just about any sort of cuisine you want, from all corners of the globe. You can find pure examples, and you can find cuisines that are impacted by and adapted to American styles. Our creativity is exemplified in our restaurants and kitchens.

7) The arts - from the stage to the studio, the American imagination bursts onto the world scene with an exuberance that cannot be ignored. Our stadiums and theaters and museums and clubs and venues are filled to bursting with artists and those who admire their work. Every corner of our globe has been impacted by American creativity and the ideas and self expression keep coming.

8) Natural beauty - This country is amazing. The coastlines, the mountain ranges, the vast lakes and mighty rivers, the rolling prairies and the haunting hollows of the Appalachians, the desolation of our deserts and the patchwork of fertile farms across the midwest...whether you want "wow factor" or a quiet, peaceful view you can get it all here.

There's a lot more I love about this country but that will do for now. Your turn!
The natural beauty. America has a lot of unspoiled beauty. As a hiker, I feel blessed to be an American. The most amazing place I have been to this point in my life is Great Sand Dunes National Park. There aren't many places on the face of the earth as diverse as that place.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:20 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,119,247 times
Tomorrow, I am going over to my aunt's beach house in Old Lyme, CT. It's a nice area.

I agree with KathyAragon (she's a nice lady) about pretty much everything she said. However, the funny thing is, is that values vary from region to region. For example, she said that in Texas, people stop over to help you, and southern hospitality, etc, etc. But here in New England, we value personal space and privacy and not being bothered by other people. The rest of the nation thinks this is a bad thing, but I think it's great. I almost never talk with my neighbors or anything. In fact, this older 60 year old lady just moved in next door a few months ago and we never even met each other (I hope we never do, because she's miserable and bangs on the walls for the stupidest little sounds I make).

Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 AM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Tomorrow, I am going over to my aunt's beach house in Old Lyme, CT. It's a nice area.

I agree with KathyAragon (she's a nice lady) about pretty much everything she said. However, the funny thing is, is that values vary from region to region. For example, she said that in Texas, people stop over to help you, and southern hospitality, etc, etc. But here in New England, we value personal space and privacy and not being bothered by other people. The rest of the nation thinks this is a bad thing, but I think it's great. I almost never talk with my neighbors or anything. In fact, this older 60 year old lady just moved in next door a few months ago and we never even met each other (I hope we never do, because she's miserable and bangs on the walls for the stupidest little sounds I make).

Har har, good post!

And thanks for the compliment.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:17 AM

565 posts, read 821,594 times
Lots of stuff is covered but I think my favorite aspect is the incredibly wide variety of natural features and extremely diverse climate; deserts, high plains, subtropical coasts, mountains, rainy hills and so on. So much to see and so many areas to live for a wide variety of weather or natural beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or