U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 AM

580 posts, read 678,320 times

Advertisements

I thought this might interest a few people.

BBC News - Independence day: What do Americans think of the US? [video 1:30secs]
Quote:
Across America the Independence Day holiday is a time for grilling, fireworks, and parades. But how much is that an excuse to party - and how much is it a genuine display of patriotism?
It turns out most people in the US would say they are often proud of being Americans, according to data collected by the Pew Research Center.
But this pride often falls along generational lines, and many Americans still wonder if the country's best years are in the past.
The BBC's David Botti takes a look at patriotic landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM

44,858 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Most holidays, around the world (not just in the US) are as much an "excuse to party" and/or enjoy a big meal or feast with friends and family, as they are a sincere display of devotion or thankfulness for whatever occasion is being marked.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:32 AM

21,197 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most holidays, around the world (not just in the US) are as much an "excuse to party" and/or enjoy a big meal or feast with friends and family, as they are a sincere display of devotion or thankfulness for whatever occasion is being marked.
Yes, Memorial Day and Labor Day are great examples.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes, Memorial Day and Labor Day are great examples.
As well as Guy Fawkes Day, St Patricks Day, Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras, Yom Kippur, St Andrews Day, Ramadan, Ascension Day, Tiradentes Day, Childrens Day, Cinco de Mayo, etc etc. You get my drift!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,454,214 times
I think all the super religious tightwads are ruining things for everyone. STOP IT AND BE TOLERANT OTHERS!!! It would also be great if we could stop shooting eachother too.

I hate this place.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:15 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,036,932 times
I think America being the land of opportunity and freedom is a great idea. Hope it happens some day.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
It's an amazing country being destroyed by Republicans and conservatives who are preventing reasonable progress from being made with regard to matters on climate change, healthcare, education and economic growth, in order to cater to the ultra wealthy who want even less taxes, and abolishing the concept of the minimum wage.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:56 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,468,006 times
This page is about to turn into an example of what has gone wrong with our founding fathers vision. Several post in here have stated a pro liberal view for America, then blame those evil conservatives for attempting to stop them from re-making America into their view of Utopia. Half of the country, including myself are opposed to their actions, and despise what they are trying to do. The story here is the fact that the nation is not united at all, and that everything our founding fathers worked for is being destroyed. Every year we sink further into debt, become more divided, and move further from our constitution. When studies show Americans have a pessimistic view of our future, or sentiments that the best years are behind us come from the fact that we know we are in trouble as a country. I think we all love America, that we agree on, but what we want America to be is what tears us apart. Red state America values tradition, values God, values small government and states rights. Blue state America values diversity, values progressive values, values a large federal government to care for its citizens. There are two competing visions of what this nation is. Those visions get further apart every year, and the possibility of this nation coming apart gets closer every year. The solution was left to us by the founding fathers, that solution is in the constitution as the 10th amendment. Let the liberal states have a liberal government and liberal laws, let the conservative ones have a conservative government and conservative laws, and limit the federal government to its constitutionally prescribed duties. If Tennessee outlaws gay marriage, has the 10 commandments on the courthouse lawn, and outlaws abortion then that is our right in our state. If Massachusetts has legal gay marriage, legal drugs, socialized medicine for its citizens than that is their right, as it is their state. Our founding fathers intended the nation to be this way, diverse states with diverse laws. This would allow a diverse nation like ours to peacefully coexist in a union without division or violence. We have had one civil war over those rights of states being ignored, I hope we don't have another over the same issue. The more divided we get, the more we risk another crises like the one in 1860. On this 4th of July we should examine how we have begun to give our government to much power, and how they have abused this power. Taking over major corporations, spying on its citizens and using the IRS as a political tool are just a few examples of the major threats to freedom coming from our own government. The fourth of July is about our independence from a tyrant King in London, but today we accept tyranny coming from Washington. I have mixed feelings about Edward Snowden because he is in Russia, but I do agree with him exposing our government abuses for all to see. What they were doing was not in the spirit of this nations history of freedom. On this fourth of July I can say I love America, and I love what my founding fathers stand for. I do fear my government however, and I believe they are losing the "consent of the governed" with every abuse of power.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,804,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As well as Guy Fawkes Day, St Patricks Day, Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras, Yom Kippur, St Andrews Day, Ramadan, Ascension Day, Tiradentes Day, Childrens Day, Cinco de Mayo, etc etc. You get my drift!
Muslims party and feast during Ramadan??

Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Muslims party and feast during Ramadan??
The ones I know do - but it has to be done before sunrise and after sunset - not during daylight hours.

In fact, I used to work with a girl who was Muslim and during Ramadan she used to bring all sorts of fabulous dishes in to work from the get togethers the night before.

I didn't say they drink alcohol or do drugs. You can have a party without either of those involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or