U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:00 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,250,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
So what makes Istanbul a world class cities besides being old.
I already gave you the reasons. It's bigger, busier, more cosmopolitan, faster growing, more iconic, more dynamic, more visitors, bigger cultural center, etc.
Quote:
Also tell me why it belongs on this list of cities
This list you posted has nothing whatsoever to do with the conversation. You might as well post an alphabetical list of cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Example: Pittsburgh. Most residents will say the city was better off five years ago before this recent boom.
Wow, if Pittsburgh is "booming" by your standards, I would hate to see a downturn.

Pittsburgh (both city and suburbs) have had nonstop population decline for a half-century. Even Detroit hasn't had population decline every Census. Pittsburgh is probably among the most declined metro areas on earth over the last 50 years.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,893,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I already gave you the reasons. It's bigger, busier, more cosmopolitan, faster growing, more iconic, more dynamic, more visitors, bigger cultural center, etc.

This list you posted has nothing whatsoever to do with the conversation. You might as well post an alphabetical list of cities.
bigger ok
busier how
more cosmopolitan how
faster growing that doesn't make it world class Lagos is fast growing also
more iconic how
more dynamic how
more visitors Proof
bigger cultural center how especially how does it beat LA

Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,635,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The problem with comparing any U.S. city with New York City is that the gap between them is simply too enormous to fill, at least any time soon.

New York City is magnitudes greater than other cities in media, fashion, food, architecture, theater, public transportation, walkability, structural scale, wealth, international diversity, and on and on...

Therefore, "world class" has to be defined as something inferior to that.
I think the gap is too large to fill in the short term as well, however I do think those cities should capitalize on the things you mentioned similar to how Milan or Madrid take advantage of what they have even though they aren't Paris, London, or NYC. All three of those cities have a ton of potential since they have those things already in place.

I also want to point out again that Chicago needs to fix some of it's structural issues when it comes to inequality and corruption. Right now the population of the city is declining which doesn't bode well for its future.

Quote:
There is no such thing as "global city metrics" so I don't know which rankings you're referring to. That GaWC nonsense that people always bring up has nothing to do with whether a city is global; it's talking about big business interconnectivity.

And I can't imagine that those first three cities would rank above your second three cities? On what basis except for median income would a Washington DC be ranked above an Istanbul as a city?

Agreed. I intentionally avoided using the terms "global" or "alpha" since I figured people would get stuck on third party rankings or measuring a city by its gdp.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:30 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,566,217 times
Quote:
What boom?
Quote:
Wow, if Pittsburgh is "booming" by your standards, I would hate to see a downturn.

Pittsburgh (both city and suburbs) have had nonstop population decline for a half-century. Even Detroit hasn't had population decline every Census. Pittsburgh is probably among the most declined metro areas on earth over the last 50 years.
You guys need to learn other metrics than just looking at The Census numbers which are in part laggards...

Quote:
"We were looking at growth rates, rather than cities with the highest rents, and Pittsburgh is in a rapid economic growth period now," said Divya Raghavan, a senior analyst for NerdWallet in San Francisco. "While New York and San Francisco are already well-established top cities in the U.S., Pittsburgh is considered an up and coming city."

Read more: Pittsburgh renting rates rising quickly - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-10-2014, 10:00 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Agreed. I intentionally avoided using the terms "global" or "alpha" since I figured people would get stuck on third party rankings or measuring a city by its gdp.
However, those rankings are based on a combination of factors, not just GDP.

I think they get fairly close to what most people would consider to be world class (or at least the best thing we have to go on).

Old 07-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
You guys need to learn other metrics than just looking at The Census numbers which are in part laggards...
I will go with official Census numbers, and not some random quote from some dude who works for a company called "NerdWallet"...

Old 08-23-2014, 04:58 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,464,640 times
If Chicago is ranked 4th IN THE WORLD In Economics. It has world class status. Culturally Chicago has ALL should agree Word-class Museums, Universities and Business. Chicago even has developed a vibrant Theater scene. Of course it isn't Broadway. But Chicago suffers from old stereotypes and its current well publicized gang violence. Even though its primarily gang on gang in their home turf. But as the business world influence and international visitors grows. It will rise in the official Word Class status. Its growth downtown in affluence and highly educated population grows. Gentrification is spreading. The city renewing itself from its downtown out.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:15 PM

I'd say Chicago has or is passing into world class status...
according to a recent article in Crain’s Chicago:
The Chicago Loop long has been one of the world’s greatest job centers. For much of its history, downtown emptied out after office hours. And as the city aged and its population declined, the suburbs rose to become the preferred home to generations of young families.
In recent years, those trends have reversed. After decades of watching the suburbs boom (often at the city’s expense), Chicago now is outperforming the surrounding area by almost any measure—jobs, income, retail sales and residential property values, to name a few—despite the loss of 200,000 people in the 2010 census.
THE CITY OF CHICAGO IS SO HOT<<<<<<<that this expanded downtown is adding residents faster than any other urban core in America, according to U.S. Census Bureau data.
“In the year 2020, no matter how many condos are built or sold, Chicago is likely to be a nest of center-city affluence unequaled in size—or even approached—by anyplace in America,” journalist Alan Ehrenhalt writes in “The Great Inversion and the Future of the American City.”

Old 08-31-2014, 07:41 PM

All our rust belt cities have had populations declines. Some is flight from high crime inner city areas. Not good neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or