U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:47 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,152,325 times

Advertisements

For those who don't know me, I am a corporate tax accountant at staff level. I am NOT in public/CPA accounting, so I have no clients. I work within the tax department of a corporation and want to stay that way (only do taxes for my corporation) because I like working only 40 hours a week. I currently make $75K plus 20% bonus for a total of $90K here in Fairfield County, CT, which isn't that great for the area. I am 30 years old and have a master's degree in accounting.

***ANYWAY***

How come all of the places that I would like to consider living in, have virtually NO good paying jobs in my specific field? Here is a list of the places that I think are beautiful and would like to live in:

• Shenandoah Valley (i.e. Roanoke, VA)
  • The panhandle of Florida, other than Jacksonville
  • Coastal Maine
  • Upstate NY
  • The Gulf Coast
  • Nevada, other than Las Vegas
  • Boise, ID
  • Washington, along I-90 just east of Seattle, but NOT Seattle itself
  • Oregon, other than the Portland area
It seems like most of the jobs in my field are primarily located in larger metropolitan areas, whenever I search online. But the places that I listed above are the only places in the country that interest me, to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM

56,775 posts, read 81,126,018 times
https://www.sujobopps.com/postings/54533

Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,322,957 times
Nep, have you not figured this out yet ? You once wanted to move to eastern CT where the cost of homes values is lower. However,you couldn't find a job that paid equal to what you were leaving.

Simple- lower cost of living usually goes hand in hand with comparatively lower salary. Have you gone through any salary comparison calculators on the internet ? Average basic accountant salary in Salt Lake City/ Seattle is about in the $45,000- $50,000 range. Cost of living is better though.

What you're looking for is a $90,000 a year job in areas that do not support such a salary. What you want is a high salary with a much lower cost of living. Then I think you would feel you were getting ahead financially.

Instead, you're going to have to come to the realization that you can find better housing, less expensive places to live but you're going to have to take a drastic pay cut to do so. That's life.

Then you're going to have to tell your brother that you moved to a great place with great scenery and
bought a nice house but you're making 40- 50% less. Or maybe you tough it out in CT and do a longer commute to work to find an affordable home. You have some tough decisions to make as reality hits home.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM

15 posts, read 45,642 times
Isn't upstate NY a tad cold?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzledmississippian View Post
Isn't upstate NY a tad cold?
Not all year.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Nep, have you not figured this out yet ? You once wanted to move to eastern CT where the cost of homes values is lower. However,you couldn't find a job that paid equal to what you were leaving.

Simple- lower cost of living usually goes hand in hand with comparatively lower salary. Have you gone through any salary comparison calculators on the internet ? Average basic accountant salary in Salt Lake City/ Seattle is about in the $45,000- $50,000 range. Cost of living is better though.

What you're looking for is a $90,000 a year job in areas that do not support such a salary. What you want is a high salary with a much lower cost of living. Then I think you would feel you were getting ahead financially.

Instead, you're going to have to come to the realization that you can find better housing, less expensive places to live but you're going to have to take a drastic pay cut to do so. That's life.

Then you're going to have to tell your brother that you moved to a great place with great scenery and
bought a nice house but you're making 40- 50% less. Or maybe you tough it out in CT and do a longer commute to work to find an affordable home. You have some tough decisions to make as reality hits home.
^This, as what you just mentioned has been stated to him before.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not qualified for that. It requires a CPA, which I don't have or want. Besides, that's a VERY advanced position, far and above my level. I'm essentially at the bottom of the totem pole.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

I never said I was expecting to keep my high salary in a new lower cost area, ever. I know that I would have to take a 10-30% pay cut, depending on where it is.

You also mentioned basic accountant salaries. I am NOT a basic accountant, as stated in my initial post. I am a corporate tax accountant, which typically pays about 40% more than general accounting jobs. Not that I expected you to know all this.

Whenever I do my job searches online, I search for jobs that are paying at least over $50K, and it's still extremely hard to find.

If I have to take a DRASTIC pay cut to move to a low cost area, then what's the point? That doesn't help.

Anyway, back to my original post, it just seems in those specific areas I listed don't have corporate tax jobs that pay over $50K even. So how the heck do people even LIVE in those areas?! I mean, Oregon isn't cheap!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:59 PM

9,532 posts, read 13,480,440 times
There is a shortage of jobs in America in all fields right now. Just stay where you are until the economy improves is what I can say. You are lucky to just have a job.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There is a shortage of jobs in America in all fields right now. Just stay where you are until the economy improves is what I can say. You are lucky to just have a job.
Not so much for me though. I have a master's degree and I'm invincible. I've never had a problem finding a job. However, all of my jobs were located in NYC, Hartford and Stamford, CT. These three areas are strong for high paying accounting jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.