U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:55 PM

145 posts, read 308,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Central Jersey is close to the Poconos in PA, mountains in Northern NJ and even the Catskills in NY. So, you can take in quite a few activities within a pretty short distance.
What are the big cities/suburbs near Philadelphia/NYC (within 45 minutes of them)? I actually really like Jersey as a state when I visited, but I just get the sense that life there is really hard. If you want a house in my price range, you'll have a 90 minute commute one way, which would be exhausting to do every day IMO. If you want to cut the commute, then you have to pay outrageous prices for homes closer to the city that won't be very big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,757,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
I never realized OC is within range. I thought that was the high priced area of LA?
Ive lived here for 7 years. OC was just named the 2nd most expensive area to live in the entire country, right behind SF. The cost of living is very high and $250k-$300k will only get you a small condo in a not so great area. You can get a nice house in most any other state. Carry on...

Last edited by JMT; 07-08-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 AM

29 posts, read 53,590 times
Quote:
Just curious, what are the major industries in Atlanta? I'm very familiar with the Charlotte/Triangle Area and know they are big in finance and biotech/tech respectively, but what is Atlanta known for? I never hear much about companies relocating there (mostly Texas), although I'm admittedly not super well-versed in it. Additionally, is it really known for having a lot of Asian people? My impression is that it's a very white/black city, but this is largely based on stereotypical anecdotes that I've seen on this site.

Also, given that I've spent time in Durham, if I generally liked it but wanted to live in a larger, more happening city, is Atlanta a good fit in that aspect?

Is Jersey/Pennsylvania a scenic part of the country? I'm very ignorant about "scenic" states out east, so can anyone touch on nice areas for the aforementioned activities (rafting/kayaking, camping, skiing, etc.)?

Thanks all for the responses so far!
New Jersey is TERRIBLE, do NOT move here! I've lived my entire life in central NJ, and i am moving to the west coast in two weeks. I can't WAIT to get out of New Jersey! The taxes are absurd, the climate is brutal, the scenery is nonexistent...it's a giant HELLHOLE. Sure, I could save some money on taxes by moving to the next town over, but then my kid's schools go from a 10 to a 4. And my taxes are still 10k on a 2400 sq ft house built 30 years ago. are you kiddin' me? NJ must think they're pretty special, but guess what? They're not. And people are FLEEING New Jersey in DROVES...more than ANY other state!

Old 07-08-2014, 06:48 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,042,401 times
Quote:
I never realized OC is within range. I thought that was the high priced area of LA?
There are 2 bedroom condos/apartments for rent in my neighborhood (less than one mile from the beach) available for $1300-$1800 /month. You won't need AC. Utilities run about $60 month for gas/water/electric.

This is in a nice part of the city known as the "Harbour Area". Prices will be less the further you get away from the beach.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Ive lived here for 7 years. OC was just named the 2nd most expensive area to live in the entire country, right behind SF. The cost of living is very high and $250k-$300k will only get you a small condo in a not so great area. You can get a nice house in most any other state. Carry on...
I live here. There are for rent signs all over the place.
You can still get a decent Condo in the OPs price range.

I lived in the midwest for two years. On a lake. In a 2500 sf home. On 1/2 acre of land. While I love the home, I hated living in Missouri.

I am much happier owning a 1400sf condo in Huntington Beach. it costs more here because its worth it.

Last edited by JMT; 07-08-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM

56,865 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Quote:
What are the big cities/suburbs near Philadelphia/NYC (within 45 minutes of them)? I actually really like Jersey as a state when I visited, but I just get the sense that life there is really hard. If you want a house in my price range, you'll have a 90 minute commute one way, which would be exhausting to do every day IMO. If you want to cut the commute, then you have to pay outrageous prices for homes closer to the city that won't be very big.
You may find something closer to Philadelphia in suburbs near Trenton. That way you could still be close to companies in Philadephia and those in Central Jersey.

I will say that there does seem to be more homes available in suburbs of Philadelphia that may fit too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-08-2014 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I live here. There are for rent signs all over the place.
You can still get a decent Condo in the OPs price range.

I lived in the midwest for two years. On a lake. In a 2500 sf home. On 1/2 acre of land. While I love the home, I hated living in Missouri.

I am much happier owning a 1400sf condo in Huntington Beach. it costs more here because its worth it.
Who cares about RENTAL signs, the OP is clearly looking to BUY. If you are seeing homes for sale in Huntington Beach for $250k, please post them here as I am sure everyone would like to buy one...As I said in my previous post, that price range will only get you something in a not so great area, like Santa Ana or Anahiem and even then, it would be a tiny space. Average homes around me in Anaheim are up around $400k. Besides, the OP said "I want to be somewhere that has nice outdoor recreation opportunities for whitewater rafting/canoeing, lakes for various activities, mountains for skiing, and also beautiful forests/parks for hiking and enjoying the scenery." Ive lived here for 7 years and never once come across mountains, lakes or forests in Orange County for any of these activities.

Last edited by JMT; 07-08-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Who cares about RENTAL signs, the OP is clearly looking to BUY. If you are seeing homes for sale in Huntington Beach for $250k, please post them here as I am sure everyone would like to buy one...As I said in my previous post, that price range will only get you something in a not so great area, like Santa Ana or Anahiem and even then, it would be a tiny space. Average homes around me in Anaheim are up around $400k. Besides, the OP said "I want to be somewhere that has nice outdoor recreation opportunities for whitewater rafting/canoeing, lakes for various activities, mountains for skiing, and also beautiful forests/parks for hiking and enjoying the scenery." Ive lived here for 7 years and never once come across mountains, lakes or forests in Orange County for any of these activities.
There are condos available in my neighborhood in the OP's price range. They may be smallish, but if you are an outdoorsy person, you really don't spend a lot of time inside anyway. But Condo prices are rising.

I'm not rich by any means, ($65-$75k a year) but I can afford a pretty decent lifestyle.

As I said, we may not have whitewater rafting (although the Kern river is only 3 hours away) we do offer tons of recreational boating and marine activities. Most marine activities are walking distance to my home.

I row, I sail. I kayak. I used to Windsurf and water ski. I'm going for my scuba certification.

I bike 20 miles along the beach almost every evening.

The Bolsa Chica wetlands are excellent for running, hiking or just walking the dog.

Saddleback Mountain is higher than most (any) mountains east of the Mississippi, and is within the County Border. Its in the middle of the Cleveland National Forest. People still get lost on the trails if they are not prepared. There are small creeks and waterfalls (dry now because of the drought) through many trails. It's a real wilderness area.

There are tons of excellent and sometimes challenging trails for walking and hiking mountain biking in South County.

Skiing is available in Big Bear. Sure its not top notch like Mammoth, but for a two hour drive (i've made it in 1.5 hours) and a 50 dollar lift ticket its a nice weekend.

The area isn't anywhere near as green as what you would find on the east coast, but its a different kind of beauty. I enjoy going to the desert (Joshua Tree, Anza Borrega) I see it as nature's zen garden.

Last edited by JMT; 07-08-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 PM

6,325 posts, read 6,998,998 times
Quote:
Just curious, what are the major industries in Atlanta? I'm very familiar with the Charlotte/Triangle Area and know they are big in finance and biotech/tech respectively, but what is Atlanta known for? I never hear much about companies relocating there (mostly Texas), although I'm admittedly not super well-versed in it. Additionally, is it really known for having a lot of Asian people? My impression is that it's a very white/black city, but this is largely based on stereotypical anecdotes that I've seen on this site.

Also, given that I've spent time in Durham, if I generally liked it but wanted to live in a larger, more happening city, is Atlanta a good fit in that aspect?
Logistics, Media, IT, and Film and Television are major industries in Atlanta. It has the third most Fortune 500s in the country and over 75% of the Fortune 1000s operate there. It attracts lots of business because 47% of adults are college-educated, which is even higher than Boston! Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a lot of colleges/universities including acclaimed Georgia Tech and Emory, so I'd imagine the startup scene is at least decent although I can't speak to it personally.

It's the undisputed Asian Capital of the Southeast, unless you consider Houston to be in the SE Region. Koreans dominate the area, but there's plenty of all other Asian demographics as well. As a Chinese kid growing up in Jacksonville, we (along with many other Chinese families) would travel to Orlando regularly to get good food and stock up on other necessities. But every once in awhile, we'd make the 5.5 hour trek to Atlanta cause it's just that much better.

I personally don't see it resembling Durham. It's just so much larger that it's hard to compare.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
There are condos available in my neighborhood in the OP's price range. They may be smallish, but if you are an outdoorsy person, you really don't spend a lot of time inside anyway. But Condo prices are rising.
What zip code are you in? I gotta see where I could buy a condo in HB for $250k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or