U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2014, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,018,676 times
Reputation: 3829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
What zip code are you in? I gotta see where I could buy a condo in HB for $250k.
Huntington Beach CA Homes For Sale & Huntington Beach Real Estate - Zillow

They are available. Some are on leased land, some are small (as I said) but if you have an active lifestyle they are perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2014, 03:39 PM
 
145 posts, read 307,485 times
Reputation: 95
Thanks for the help so far everyone. I've noticed that nobody has mentioned midwest cities. Let's put aside the weather criteria for a moment. Are there any in that region that work? Is the midwest really that unappealing from both a scenery and living POV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
3,025 posts, read 2,462,538 times
Reputation: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Thanks for the help so far everyone. I've noticed that nobody has mentioned midwest cities. Let's put aside the weather criteria for a moment. Are there any in that region that work? Is the midwest really that unappealing from both a scenery and living POV?
I actually think that either metro Pittsburgh or metro Cleveland might work really well for you. They're close enough to water or mountains to get the tornadoes or severe hail very often. The Appalachian Mountains, well-known white-water rafting in West Virginia, and amazing lakes in Michigan and Upstate New York are within 4-5 hours of driving. Great Lakes beaches are very close, and even the Jersey Shore could be driven to in 7-9 hours. They've got symphonies and such cultural activities, and I think relatively low cost of living.

The one downside might be economic growth. I know Pittsburgh is rebounding quite nicely. Cleveland is a little bit behind, and I'm not sure about their unemployment rate. But either place might work out.

Note: People always recommend Austin, Denver, Seattle, Portland, and Minneapolis. So take it with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 PM
 
268 posts, read 345,047 times
Reputation: 485
Great NJ Philly suburbs include Moorestown, Cherry Hill, Haddonfield and Marlton. I don't recommend moving there based on your needs. Although close to the shore and mountains after driving several hours, So. Jersey's sell is its proximity to these amenities and the city. There's no nature to speak of in these towns except for small parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,481 posts, read 10,397,568 times
Reputation: 2794
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Thanks for the help so far everyone. I've noticed that nobody has mentioned midwest cities. Let's put aside the weather criteria for a moment. Are there any in that region that work? Is the midwest really that unappealing from both a scenery and living POV?
No, there are some appealing locations that meet most of your criteria except for the temps above 40 degrees and low humidity requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 05:30 PM
 
145 posts, read 307,485 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I actually think that either metro Pittsburgh or metro Cleveland might work really well for you. They're close enough to water or mountains to get the tornadoes or severe hail very often. The Appalachian Mountains, well-known white-water rafting in West Virginia, and amazing lakes in Michigan and Upstate New York are within 4-5 hours of driving. Great Lakes beaches are very close, and even the Jersey Shore could be driven to in 7-9 hours. They've got symphonies and such cultural activities, and I think relatively low cost of living.

The one downside might be economic growth. I know Pittsburgh is rebounding quite nicely. Cleveland is a little bit behind, and I'm not sure about their unemployment rate. But either place might work out.

Note: People always recommend Austin, Denver, Seattle, Portland, and Minneapolis. So take it with a grain of salt.
Wait, are you saying that Cleve/Pitt DO get tornadoes or they don't? I want to avoid tornadoes if possible. I know some people like lightening storms but I can't imagine anyone would want to be in an area with twisters. Could be misreading what you're saying, however.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
No, there are some appealing locations that meet most of your criteria except for the temps above 40 degrees and low humidity requirement.
Well, I can't imagine any place will meet all my criteria. I'm open to suggestions, especially if it's only a matter of weather. Weather is something I'm willing to trade for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
3,025 posts, read 2,462,538 times
Reputation: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Wait, are you saying that Cleve/Pitt DO get tornadoes or they don't? I want to avoid tornadoes if possible. I know some people like lightening storms but I can't imagine anyone would want to be in an area with twisters. Could be misreading what you're saying, however.
I forgot a "not." Generally, Cleve/Pitt are at a low risk for tornadoes. They're possible just about anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains in the U.S., but not very common in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 PM
 
5,691 posts, read 8,756,281 times
Reputation: 4911
It helps to remember that much of the midwest isn't close to skiing or whitewater. Pittsburgh would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,559 posts, read 3,659,218 times
Reputation: 12328
I would add Albuquerque to your short list. It meets or exceeds most of your list of "must haves" and is an hour away from Santa Fe (there is a commuter train). There are four seasons but it's generally sunny and mild...summers are warm but not hot or humid. There's plenty to do and home prices are low. Diversity is related to the three cultures here but it is a univrsity town (UNM) with an international district. The economy is struggling but that's largely due to government cutbacks -- it is highly dependent on government contracts and research (Sandia Labs, for example). The film/TV industry is growing. There is an Air Force base. There is a huge trail system and skiing is maybe an hour away. It isn't a huge place. The Bizjournal for Albuquerque can give you some business info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top