U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2014, 07:43 PM
 
145 posts, read 308,314 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone can help me figure out what cities (states maybe?) meet the following criteria. My job can take me to just about any city that is a decent sized metro since I'm in the professional services industry, so I'm not just limited to the megacities like NYC, Boston, LA, DC, etc. either.

Weather: I don't like it when it's very hot or very cold. My ideal climate is somewhere that's relatively mild. I've spent some time in the PNW before and the weather there isn't bad, although I'd prefer it to be a little more dry if possible and am willing to sacrifice a fair number of degrees on the thermometer (I prefer quite cold and dry to warmer but damp). I know that few places in the US are like the west coast, so I'm willing to compromise a fair amount on climate, but the theme is not extremely hot or extremely cold. I'd prefer 90 degrees and humid, however, to 15 and snowy. This isn't a huge deal overall, and I can deal with most conditions anyhow. Just thought I'd state some preference as a potential tiebreaker. One thing I'd like to avoid are tornadoes/severe thunderstorms that bring hail, etc. Those are a nuisance. I'll take my chances on an earthquake out west over risking getting my house blown away by a twister or property destroyed by gigantic hail.

Diversity: Diversity is kind of whatever to me. I usually hang out with East Asian/Indian/Jewish (happens naturally, I don't seek them out per se...seriously) people regardless so any city that has a good number of them is fine in my book based on the history of my interactions.

Health Conscious/Outdoor Recreation Access: I'm a very health-conscious person (I try to eat organic, cook my own food, etc.) and would like to ideally be in a city that has health-minded people as well. Additionally, I want to be somewhere that has nice outdoor recreation opportunities for whitewater rafting/canoeing, lakes for various activities, mountains for skiing, and also beautiful forests/parks for hiking and enjoying the scenery. The beach would be very, very nice, but I could compromise on this if all the others are met. This is very important to me.

Lots of Businesses: I work in a consulting sort of role for companies, so the more companies there are the more clients there are. The more clients there are, the more potential $$$ for me . Therefore, it is very important that the place I live in have a strong economy/startup scene. The startup scene can be compromised if it has a lot of other industry in general, but this is even more important than the previous factor.

Cost of Living: This is also huge. I really want to live in a place that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live in. My ideal average house price range is 250-350k, maybe 400k absolute max. Any more than that is a huge deal-breaker. Also, just to give an example, let's say that there is a city whose average house price is in range and a suburb of NYC, but would require an hour and a half commute daily one way. That is also a deal breaker and not feasible for my ideal lifestyle. I'd like my commute to be no longer than 40-45 mins one way and ideally no more than 30 mins.

Culture: I really enjoy going to things like the symphony, etc. A city that has decent options for that is a plus. If it also is a city that has a culture of appreciating these kinds of things or is well-read/into intellectual conversations, that is ideal as well. Not a deal breaker, however, if the health conscious/outdoor rec criteria is met.

Car-Friendly: I like having a car and don't particularly care for the uber urban, car free lifestyle people rave about here. I would hate to live in a city that isn't car friendly and too public transit heavy.

Any ideas? This is the main criteria that comes to mind but I can provide other stuff if necessary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2014, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,168,829 times
Reputation: 4890
Check out Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,340 posts, read 7,014,497 times
Reputation: 3511
I'm thinking Denver sounds perfect but this is based on simple impressions/research. My personal experience of Denver is limited to one day en route to Boulder (which, incidentally, has a legendary startup scene despite being a small city)

Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte also seem like strong possibilities and not far from multiple skiing and rafting options.

Atlanta is a dark horse. The mountains aren't for skiing (so you'd have to travel to NC for that and whitewater rafting) but they do serve well for hiking. Also, Atlanta is a heavyweight in terms of corporate presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 AM
 
21,267 posts, read 30,535,410 times
Reputation: 19767
^^^ Atlanta was my first thought. It would really suit your criteria quite well. The north side in particular around the Sandy Springs-Roswell-Alpharetta corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,053,549 times
Reputation: 3830
Orange County, CA hits all your marks, including your home price if you want to live in a Condo. And replace whitewater rafting with Surf Kayaking (although the Kern River is about a 3 hour drive)


We have own a condo, 1/4 mile from a harbor and less than one mile to 10 miles of unbroken Shoreline.
There are still smaller condos available in your price range and near the beach (just watch out for property on leased land)

Very diverse.
Lots of Major Corporations are based locally

Sailing and Rowing are among my favorite activities
Skiable Mountains are about 1.5 hours away.
Local mountains for Hiking and Mountain Biking are within the county's borders
Scuba and Snorkling in Laguna Beach and Catalina Island.

The Beach Cities are very health conscious
Galleries, Concerts and Live theatre are readily available.

Two Professional Sports Teams (with another 6 [including two professional Soccer teams]in Los Angeles County)
Sorry no professional Football, but UCLA and USC file that niche fairly well/

LA is very nearby
Catalina Island is an hour away by ferry (or 4 hours by Sailboat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 08:05 AM
 
56,992 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Reputation: 12599
Maybe Central NJ could work(i.e.-New Brunswick, Piscataway, Edison, etc.). There is a big pharmaceutical industry there and you would be in between Philadelphia and NYC. So, it may give you options. Housing prices may be an issue, as could cost, but pay is likely to be higher too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM
 
990 posts, read 1,200,209 times
Reputation: 779
San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 03:46 PM
 
145 posts, read 308,314 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm thinking Denver sounds perfect but this is based on simple impressions/research. My personal experience of Denver is limited to one day en route to Boulder (which, incidentally, has a legendary startup scene despite being a small city)

Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte also seem like strong possibilities and not far from multiple skiing and rafting options.

Atlanta is a dark horse. The mountains aren't for skiing (so you'd have to travel to NC for that and whitewater rafting) but they do serve well for hiking. Also, Atlanta is a heavyweight in terms of corporate presence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
^^^ Atlanta was my first thought. It would really suit your criteria quite well. The north side in particular around the Sandy Springs-Roswell-Alpharetta corridor.
Just curious, what are the major industries in Atlanta? I'm very familiar with the Charlotte/Triangle Area and know they are big in finance and biotech/tech respectively, but what is Atlanta known for? I never hear much about companies relocating there (mostly Texas), although I'm admittedly not super well-versed in it. Additionally, is it really known for having a lot of Asian people? My impression is that it's a very white/black city, but this is largely based on stereotypical anecdotes that I've seen on this site.

Also, given that I've spent time in Durham, if I generally liked it but wanted to live in a larger, more happening city, is Atlanta a good fit in that aspect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe Central NJ could work(i.e.-New Brunswick, Piscataway, Edison, etc.). There is a big pharmaceutical industry there and you would be in between Philadelphia and NYC. So, it may give you options. Housing prices may be an issue, as could cost, but pay is likely to be higher too.
Is Jersey/Pennsylvania a scenic part of the country? I'm very ignorant about "scenic" states out east, so can anyone touch on nice areas for the aforementioned activities (rafting/kayaking, camping, skiing, etc.)?

Thanks all for the responses so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 PM
 
56,992 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Reputation: 12599
Central Jersey is close to the Poconos in PA, mountains in Northern NJ and even the Catskills in NY. So, you can take in quite a few activities within a pretty short distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 PM
 
145 posts, read 308,314 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Orange County, CA hits all your marks, including your home price if you want to live in a Condo. And replace whitewater rafting with Surf Kayaking (although the Kern River is about a 3 hour drive)


We have own a condo, 1/4 mile from a harbor and less than one mile to 10 miles of unbroken Shoreline.
There are still smaller condos available in your price range and near the beach (just watch out for property on leased land)

Very diverse.
Lots of Major Corporations are based locally

Sailing and Rowing are among my favorite activities
Skiable Mountains are about 1.5 hours away.
Local mountains for Hiking and Mountain Biking are within the county's borders
Scuba and Snorkling in Laguna Beach and Catalina Island.

The Beach Cities are very health conscious
Galleries, Concerts and Live theatre are readily available.

Two Professional Sports Teams (with another 6 [including two professional Soccer teams]in Los Angeles County)
Sorry no professional Football, but UCLA and USC file that niche fairly well/

LA is very nearby
Catalina Island is an hour away by ferry (or 4 hours by Sailboat)
I never realized OC is within range. I thought that was the high priced area of LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top