U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 AM
FBF FBF started this thread

572 posts, read 691,442 times

Advertisements

I renewed my non-biometric passport a year before the expiration in order to receive a biometric passport and to omit the Jr. Suffix because it has caused problems for me when checking in self-check in kiosks since the computer cannot comprehend suffix unless it is exactly in the place where it is at (in my last name section).

Whenever I make my airline reservations and includes a suffix box....it puts it on after my first and middle name.......and says passport does not match airline reservation since it has it after my last name and must go see airline agent. This is even worse in international flights where I am sometimes questioned why my passport does not match the airline ticket (suffix was either omitted or put after middle name on Europe and Asian systems), add to the fact that it was not biometric and they thought it was fake....embarrassing situation.

Now I am worried since when I did the renewal form at the post office today, one lady said you do not have the put jr on the passport since my father (whom I am named after) has a different middle name but the other lady who packaged my passport to be sent was a bit more picky saying she does not think it is possible since my new application passport request does not have jr.

She asked for another ID and I show her my state id without the suffix and she photocopied it to present it with my renewal form to make a note that it does not match passport name.

She says that as far as she can do to help me and it is up to the US passport agency at Philadelphia to decide within a few weeks.

My birth certificate has jr and they put it near my last name since it did not have a suffix box on the form....yet my bank accounts and IDs do not have the suffixes.

Does anyone had this problem and how you dealed with it?

I can only hope they accept the very minor change....it is not like I changing my full legal name, merely omitting an suffix.

And I do not want to pay for another $110 renewal fee !

Last edited by FBF; 07-07-2014 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 01:19 PM
FBF FBF started this thread

572 posts, read 691,442 times
The fee is for a new passport since it will be expired next year and because I want a biometric version (only family member who does not have biometric with additional two letters on last name which should have been under suffix or given names).

In addition to that, I asked if if it possible to omit the jr since my bank accounts and id do not have jr on them (my birth certificate has it, though) but I presented my id card for them to consider it since jr was not required. Jr is not very common internationally, so i do not want to run into annoyances when returning home into the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.