U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:48 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,939,690 times

Advertisements

Very impressive for only 20k!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 03:50 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
I'm shocked nobody has yet mentioned Santa Fe, NM.

Asheville, NC and Portland, ME round out the top three for me.

ETA: Traverse City, MI as well - only 14k but it anchors a metro area ten times it size. And when you throw in the tourism, it definitely feels quite a bit more vibrant than its population would suggest.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:50 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Iowa City, Iowa

Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,931,622 times
Portland's MSA population is over 500k, but other than that it's a good pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I DO NOT want suburbs. I want independent cities.

Which ones have the most "cool" factor? Most urban build? Most vibrant? Best environment?
Burlington's (VT) MSA is a bit above your 200k cutoff but it otherwise fits your criteria -- cool, relatively urban, great environment with Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains close by.

Always loved Portsmouth, NH. Marietta, OH hasn't been mentioned, it has great architecture and nice surroundings. Williamsport, PA as well, although I'm not sure about 'vibrant'. Never cared much for State College or Morgantown, I like college towns but to me, they always seemed to combine big city traffic with small town isolation. Ithaca is much much better (though it still has traffic).

Old 07-07-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I'm shocked nobody has yet mentioned Santa Fe, NM.

Asheville, NC and Portland, ME round out the top three for me.
As I explained earlier in the thread, I am looking more for the lesser known gems. Not knocking your suggestions at all, just explaining why Santa Fe hadn't been mentioned yet.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
Quote:
As I explained earlier in the thread, I am looking more for the lesser known gems. Not knocking your suggestions at all, just explaining why Santa Fe hadn't been mentioned yet.
OK - then prob want to throw out Portland and Asheville as well. Traverse City I think is still more or less a "hidden gem". Maybe also Couer d'Alene, ID - city 44k metro 140k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Portland's MSA population is over 500k, but other than that it's a good pick.

Burlington's (VT) MSA is a bit above your 200k cutoff but it otherwise fits your criteria -- cool, relatively urban, great environment with Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains close by.

Always loved Portsmouth, NH. Marietta, OH hasn't been mentioned, it has great architecture and nice surroundings. Williamsport, PA as well, although I'm not sure about 'vibrant'. Never cared much for State College or Morgantown, I like college towns but to me, they always seemed to combine big city traffic with small town isolation. Ithaca is much much better (though it still has traffic).
I am not worried if cities barely miss the cut-off, Portland is a bit high for metro population but I aint gonna freak about a suggestion being slightly outside the criteria.

I LOVE Portsmouth, NH. A true gem. Burlington is awesome too.

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Very impressive for only 20k!
There are actually many cool towns like this Some closer to cities and some not

I know these are not your criteria but towns like West Chester PA, Doylestown PA, and Phoenixville PA to name a few are interesting in that they have a small town feel and close to cities. But these towsn dot the landscape around places like Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC etc.

Here is a personal favorite in Doylestown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RP6DJ46CAU

Great art and dinning scene

Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM

56,515 posts, read 80,824,285 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8988...bGioTcatfQ!2e0

Welcome to Downtown Adrian Michigan
Welcome to the City of Adrian, Michigan | City of Adrian

Adrian Michigan - YouTube

Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
OK - then prob want to throw out Portland and Asheville. Traverse City I think would still be a consideration though.
I am not "throwing out" anyone's suggestions, just trying to let people know what I am looking for personally. Traverse City is a little small, but it is still a cool place! Definitely a cool place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or