Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Newport Beach, CA. World class restaurants, hotels, shopping, nightlife, some of the best beaches and best weather in the country and it even has its own island (Balboa). Laguna Beach. Everything Newport has plus some of the best art galleries in the US and a lovely little village downtown.
I wouldn't really call that an independent city, it is part of greater L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Bloomington, IL is the best small city under 200k that I've probably ever been to. Its like something out of a TV sitcom.

Its what I grew up thinking small towns should be like, with a grid, no real ghettos, very safe, no traffic, great schools, civic pride, cute little downtown, great bike trails, and super cheap houses.

Bloomington, IN is nice too but are not to be confused.
Funny that both get suggested within a couple posts, and they both fit the criteria. I like Bloomington, IL as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Might be a bit bigger total CSA than you are looking for, but definitely not suburbs. Close to Asheville, so topography and weather are quite similar, but not as hip, cool, (or well known) as Asheville either
Johnson City, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
How about Staunton, Va? City is ~24,000, metro ~118,000

https://www.google.com/search?q=stau...w=1024&bih=672

Nearby Harrisonburg has a population around 50,000 and a metro around 126,000. Not as beautiful a downtown as Staunton but maybe more of a cool factor due to a large university and younger population.

https://www.google.com/search?q=harr...w=1024&bih=672

Old 07-07-2014, 11:17 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I wouldn't really call that an independent city, it is part of greater L.A.
Huh? It became a city in 1906 and its in Orange County, not LA County

Old 07-07-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Huh? It became a city in 1906 and its in Orange County, not LA County
Ugh, just gotta get snotty, huh?

It doesn't fit the criteria, and Greater L.A. includes Orange County:

Quote:
The US Census Bureau defines the Greater Los Angeles area to include the entire Los Angeles county, Ventura County, Orange County and the two counties of the Inland Empire, making up the "Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA" Combined Statistical Area.
Greater Los Angeles Area
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I said earlier, the more isolated, the more influence the city has over it's region, the better. Newport Beach does NOT anchor Orange County.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Might be a bit bigger total CSA than you are looking for, but definitely not suburbs. Close to Asheville, so topography and weather are quite similar, but not as hip, cool, (or well known) as Asheville either
Johnson City, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I would count it inside the criteria, good suggestion! I actually considered moving there once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
How about Staunton, Va? City is ~24,000, metro ~118,000

https://www.google.com/search?q=stau...w=1024&bih=672

Nearby Harrisonburg has a population around 50,000 and a metro around 126,000. Not as beautiful a downtown as Staunton but maybe more of a cool factor due to a large university and younger population.

https://www.google.com/search?q=harr...w=1024&bih=672
Wow, I GOTTA visit Staunton.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 PM

275 posts, read 455,143 times
Johnson City appears to be way under the radar. Anyone here ever live there, or stay there for an extended period of time? It's on my list of "to-visit" cities.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
A lot of cities in states like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas would fit in terms of size and isolation.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'd definitely add Traverse City to that list. Technically it only has 14k people in it. But that has more to do with Michigan's impossible annexation laws. It has an urban area that exceeds 60k people, a metro area like mentioned 150k, and amenities of a city six times its size or more.
True, but it's a very seasonal area. During the summer months it has a very different feel than during winter. I know what that's like, having grown up across the water in Door County WI (Sturgeon Bay is under 10,000 and has a nice downtown and oversized amenities for its size as well, but the city and especially surrounding areas boom and then shrink considerably).

Not a bad call on the Yooper city (Marquette), though I personally prefer the smaller Houghton/Hancock area, as Marquette seems to think it's something it is not. I like Marquette just fine, but it's a small town in the middle of nowhere and it isn't punching much above its weight in terms of amenities (which are vastly overrated by locals). Still probably the only UP choice that makes sense for this discussion.

For Wisconsin, Xander mentioned La Crosse, and a lot of the UW system cities would probably qualify - Stevens Point, La Crosse, Oshkosh, and so on. Sheboygan has seen somewhat of a renaissance lately, and while a lot of the citizens are stuck in timewarp 1985, the amenities have risen quickly and being one of the country's top golfing destination doesn't hurt. I can't quite put Eau Claire or Wausau in this group, but they are nice small cities for the most part that are a bit away from inclusion. Kenosha isn't bad, and has had "big city" amenities such as their trolleys (Streetcars in Kenosha, Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for some time now. Being directly between Chicago & Milwaukee and NOT being Racine doesn't hurt, though maybe it isn't "stand-alone" enough for inclusion.

WI cities well-outside inclusion: Superior, Beloit, Fond Du Lac, Racine, Manitowoc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.