U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 1,483 times

Advertisements

Hi there

I am living in southern IN at the moment and I am absolutely sick of it here so would like to move. My biggest problems with living here are the conservatism in the area and the social side of things... but I have no idea where to move. Need some advise asap

What am I looking for?

COST OF LIVING
I earn a slightly above average salary, not much more than average. I would be able to afford any city as long as it isn't as expensive as NYC and San Francisco etc.

CRIME
Relatively low. I know everywhere has crime but I don't want to live in somewhere like East St Louis.

VIBE
I am a private person (main reason I hate the intrusiveness of my current location) and value alone time. I do like to keep a small group of friends but I am not very social, so I would like a city that isn't teeming with socialiates and my idea of good night out is either going to a nice bar (not a night club; hate them) or spending time at the coffee shop.

WEATHER
Not a fan of the heat or the insects and general bugs that come with humidity. I like a mild climate that doesn't get too hot or too cold. No snow please. No humidity either. I don't mind overcast or rain.

SOCIAL
See vibe, but I need to emphasise I hate the party culture of night clubbing and people constantly drinking. I want to be in a city that I could enjoy socially.

ACTIVITIES
Mad baseball fan here. I would like a MLB team nearby and a NFL team. Dislike the NBA but an NHL team within a 2 hr drive is cool

POLITICAL SCENE
I am VERY liberal and would like a city that has is not conservative and has no blatant racism or discrimination. Hard to ask for I suppose but anywhere that you would class as liberal is the place for me.

RELIGION
Agnostic. More atheist than theist.

OTHER
I am 24yo heterosexual male, single, degree in liberal arts looking for marketing/publishing/journalism/teaching jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 PM

7,282 posts, read 13,523,592 times
I know these cities get recommended on this site a lot, but you really do sound like you're cut out for Seattle or, if you could bend on the MLB and NFL franchises, Portland.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I know these cities get recommended on this site a lot, but you really do sound like you're cut out for Seattle or, if you could bend on the MLB and NFL franchises, Portland.
I would love to move to Seattle and Portland and these were 2 already shortlisted but I would like a few more suggestions Only an extra 2 to research, etc. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2014, 01:15 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iworth View Post
I would love to move to Seattle and Portland and these were 2 already shortlisted but I would like a few more suggestions Only an extra 2 to research, etc. Thanks!
Your extremely definitive climate criteria has pigeon-holed you into those two cities. If you can deal with some form of four-season climate your options would expand enormously.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:17 PM

273 posts, read 348,849 times
Couldn't cut it in Pawnee? :P

Old 07-07-2014, 02:15 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,047,389 times
Quote:
Hi there

I am living in southern IN at the moment and I am absolutely sick of it here so would like to move. My biggest problems with living here are the conservatism in the area and the social side of things... but I have no idea where to move. Need some advise asap

What am I looking for?

COST OF LIVING
I earn a slightly above average salary, not much more than average. I would be able to afford any city as long as it isn't as expensive as NYC and San Francisco etc.

CRIME
Relatively low. I know everywhere has crime but I don't want to live in somewhere like East St Louis.

VIBE
I am a private person (main reason I hate the intrusiveness of my current location) and value alone time. I do like to keep a small group of friends but I am not very social, so I would like a city that isn't teeming with socialiates and my idea of good night out is either going to a nice bar (not a night club; hate them) or spending time at the coffee shop.

WEATHER
Not a fan of the heat or the insects and general bugs that come with humidity. I like a mild climate that doesn't get too hot or too cold. No snow please. No humidity either. I don't mind overcast or rain.

SOCIAL
See vibe, but I need to emphasise I hate the party culture of night clubbing and people constantly drinking. I want to be in a city that I could enjoy socially.

ACTIVITIES
Mad baseball fan here. I would like a MLB team nearby and a NFL team. Dislike the NBA but an NHL team within a 2 hr drive is cool

POLITICAL SCENE
I am VERY liberal and would like a city that has is not conservative and has no blatant racism or discrimination. Hard to ask for I suppose but anywhere that you would class as liberal is the place for me.

RELIGION
Agnostic. More atheist than theist.

OTHER
I am 24yo heterosexual male, single, degree in liberal arts looking for marketing/publishing/journalism/teaching jobs.
I recommend Pasadena, CA with Burbank and Glendale, CA receiving honorable mentions.

People in the San Gabriel Valley are almost invariably progressive, tolerant, and open-minded with a live-and-let-live attitude--no one cares what religion you are, where you're from, or who you sleep with.

All of the Pacific states are very welcoming to transplants and immigrants and, needless to say, very diverse, especially compared to the Ohio River Valley. Southern California in particular is home to every sort of person you could imagine, and most groups of people live harmoniously among each other--something you don't really find in the older, highly segregated industrialized cities of the Northeast and Midwest.

The climate of the SGV is warmer than that of coastal Southern California, as it's located farther inland; however, it's also sunnier and drier, due to generally less cloud cover and morning fog than the coast. Compared to Southern Indiana, you'll find the area to have much less humidity overall, which is part of the reason why there are so few bugs in the SGV and Southern California in general. Mosquitoes in particular are virtually a non-issue.

Snow and ice are virtually unheard of in the valleys and basins of Southern California. You will never again have to wake up an extra hour early in the morning to clean off your car and shovel your driveway. However, if you find yourself missing snow or you even want to take up skiing/snowboarding, Big Bear is only a 2-hr. drive away and Tahoe a 1.5-hr. flight, so you can easily get your snow/winter sports fix. In Southern California, people go to the snow; the snow doesn't come to the them.

The reason why I recommend the SGV and the eastern SFV is that most of the people living in these areas tend to be seeking a calmer, quieter, less hectic existence than those on the Westside of LA (i.e., WeHo, West LA, BH, SM, Culver City, etc.). Both the SGV and the Westside are home to serious working professionals, but those on the Westside definitely tend to be much more into the party/club scene than those living further east. Needless to say, those living further away from the beach tend to be slightly older (i.e., 30's or so) and more settled, too. In places like Pasadena, there's less emphasis overall on partying and clubbing, and more on bars, cafes, and the like.

Further away from the beach, rental prices become more affordable, too, mostly due to the "hotter" weather and fewer attractions/goings-on. For example, in terms of the LA social scene, places like Pasadena or Altadena are a lot less centrally-located than, say, WeHo or even Santa Monica.

Given your line of work, you can pretty much live anywhere in the region, as marketing and especially PR/journalism jobs can be found pretty much all over the metro area--this is LA after all! FWIW, AOL-Huffington Post has a pretty big office in BH...

I lived in SoCal for four years (2007-2011), travel to the area multiple time a year, and may be moving back come the end of this year, so if there's anything else you'd like to know, please DM me. Best of luck in your decision and relocation!

Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM

23,560 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Given the weather and sport requirements, Seattle is the only thing that fits the bill.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Excluding the weather criterion where to go?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:33 PM

7,282 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Quote:
Excluding the weather criterion where to go?
That opens things up a lot. A few thoughts:

As an Indiana native, you've probably been scared off by talk of Chicago, but there are plenty of neighborhoods on the cities north side that might suit you very well.

Others: Denver? Austin (or Nashville, which surprisingly has a similar vibe in a lot of areas)? Pittsburgh? Or if you REALLY want to disregard your anti-cold bias, Minneapolis?

Old 07-08-2014, 04:12 PM

233 posts, read 281,177 times
What comes to mind for you is the Columbus, OH area. I chose Columbus because it seems to have sort of the chill, non-superficial "overly-social" vibe that you seem to be looking for, however there are still a lot of nice casual adult bars and restaurants. I would originally tell you to look more towards the upper Midwest but you would not enjoy the climate. Columbus is probably similar to Southern Indiana in that they have much more mild winters than the rest of the Midwest tends to see. Although the area tends to be closer to the "Appalachian" part of the state, it is still pretty progressive. And finally, there is a healthy growing economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or