U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 PM
 
341 posts, read 420,684 times
Reputation: 221

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place (preferably somewhere in the southeast or possibly Indiana, texas, West Virginia, western pa, etc... that has the following attributes:
FRIENDLY...EASY TO TALK TO/MAKE FRIENDS...especially with GIRLS...i'm not that approachable and don't start conversations a lot so I need other people that are not reserved to open up
JOBS...good economy...not too much competition..easy to get something decent if you want it
kinda COUNTRY but close to a beach...not a need but I find that it'd be easier in a place like that with less competition...a myrtle beach type place is as big as I'd want but I can go bigger if it fits the other criteria...I like the idea of living near the beach cus it always gives you a "free entertainment" option every day
CHEAP HOUSING/RENT...this is very important
CONSERVATIVE...NOT A NECESSITY IF THE REST IS GOOD
A LACK OF CRAZY PEOPLE and random violent crime
good weather...I can overlook a few months of bad weather but not 7-8 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Both coasts
1,582 posts, read 4,291,769 times
Reputation: 1447
Where are you coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 PM
 
341 posts, read 420,684 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Where are you coming from?
Toronto...want something different than the weather, cost of living, and boring people that you get around here. And the job market is pretty bad and there's 2 much competitiveness in the work force for so few jobs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
273 posts, read 349,253 times
Reputation: 379
I was actually about to recommend Columbus, Ohio until you mentioned beaches.

Have you looked into Charleston, South Carolina? I've only been there once so I can't comment too much, but I had a good experience there.

Maybe Richmond, Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 05:56 AM
 
21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Reputation: 19627
I too would recommend Charleston and would also add Jacksonville which unlike most of Florida has a fairly diverse economy and has rebounded best (in terms of Florida) from the recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Florida
144 posts, read 144,518 times
Reputation: 160
I was about to suggest Irving, Texas until I read you wanted the beach. In that case [if you don't mind the winter] Bristol, CT is incredibly beautiful and safe. Lovely houses. I'm moving to Key WEst, FL in a few weeks so I could say it's quite safe and friendly down there. Lots of blue water.Charleston, NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 PM
 
341 posts, read 420,684 times
Reputation: 221
Lots of people are saying Charleston, SC. I've been there twice but once when I was a little kid and once last year for only a couple of hours on a friday night so I don't know that much about it but I am pretty intrigued by it. Is it a pretty easy place to talk to people? Just asking cus I don't want to move to one of these places and find out most people just stick to their little group, aren't reserved, and don't talk to anyone they don't know. Sure I understand why anyone would be like that but as a newcomer it wouldn't help me at all lol I need some people to do stuff with and girls.

And how's the rent there in non-dangerous areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
 
341 posts, read 420,684 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I too would recommend Charleston and would also add Jacksonville which unlike most of Florida has a fairly diverse economy and has rebounded best (in terms of Florida) from the recession.
My problem with Jacksonville is it seems like it's hard to find a crime free area unless it's rich as hell? And most of Florida has a lot of crazy random crime but I think it's a little better the further north you go. I'd like to live in the surrounding area...maybe nassau county...what kind of jobs should I look for there? And again how's the rent in area? I don't need a great area just one where I don't have to worry about violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 PM
 
341 posts, read 420,684 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
I was about to suggest Irving, Texas until I read you wanted the beach. In that case [if you don't mind the winter] Bristol, CT is incredibly beautiful and safe. Lovely houses. I'm moving to Key WEst, FL in a few weeks so I could say it's quite safe and friendly down there. Lots of blue water.Charleston, NC?
A beach isn't a necessity if the other things are all the way I want them. I just like the idea of a beach cus to me if u have a beach then at least if everything else goes wrong at least you have a free form of entertainment every day if u need it. I've always considered Texas...you think Irving fit what I want the most? I've never done key west but I was thinking about Naples but it would probably be too expensive. I was also thinking something around the Panama city to Pensacola area but I've never been to that part of Florida. I'm not sure about Connecticut cus I assume it's pretty expensive and I've heard the people are really reserved and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM
 
Location: North Philadelphia
14 posts, read 23,286 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I'm looking for a place (preferably somewhere in the southeast or possibly Indiana, texas, West Virginia, western pa, etc... that has the following attributes:
FRIENDLY...EASY TO TALK TO/MAKE FRIENDS...especially with GIRLS...i'm not that approachable and don't start conversations a lot so I need other people that are not reserved to open up
JOBS...good economy...not too much competition..easy to get something decent if you want it
kinda COUNTRY but close to a beach...not a need but I find that it'd be easier in a place like that with less competition...a myrtle beach type place is as big as I'd want but I can go bigger if it fits the other criteria...I like the idea of living near the beach cus it always gives you a "free entertainment" option every day
CHEAP HOUSING/RENT...this is very important
CONSERVATIVE...NOT A NECESSITY IF THE REST IS GOOD
A LACK OF CRAZY PEOPLE and random violent crime
good weather...I can overlook a few months of bad weather but not 7-8 months
texas... austin or dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top