Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

According to the statistics in "Places Rated" more crime occurs in cities that have mild weather. In particular, crime spikes on very hot days (interestingly, this happens most in cities that normally have moderate temps--not cities that usually have very hot temps).

Interpret this as you will. My take on it is that even criminals want to stay inside on a frigid icy day.

Crime is one thing, safety is another. The statistics also show that personal safety is at the highest risk in cities with severe weather conditions.

I would also like to point out that all cities have "safe" neighborhoods and "dangerous" neighborhoods and that it is silly to judge an entire urban area in this wy (and moronic to judge an entire region of the country).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Here in DC, for example, crime is generally restricted in the ghetto (Southeast), where no white people venture into.
Hmmmm, sounds like the OP is just trying to start something...
Hey, if you get bored with trying to ruffle feathers, I hear there's a job opening over at the National Enquirer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:53 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
It's hard to say because the northeast, midwest, and southeast have a lot of dangerous cities. It's easier to compare Eastern and Western cities, because most of the dangerous cities in the U.S. are on the Eastern side (Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Philly, Baltimore, D.C., Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis, Miami). Look at the cities out west and you have Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego, SLC, Denver - all cities that are known to have low crime rates. The only dangerous cities out west are Oakland and parts of L.A. like Compton.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 PM

151 posts, read 739,636 times
There are.....

Safe Northern cities
Safe Southern cities
Safe Western cities

as well as...

Dangerous Northern cities
Dangerous Southern cities
Dangerous Western cities

End of disscussion

Old 12-18-2007, 01:50 PM

333 posts, read 467,489 times
As a whole, the per capita crime rate ranks the South as the most dangerous, the West at number 2, Midwest at 3 and Northeast being safest. Yes the Northeast has more people, but that has nothing to do with probability and statistics.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:15 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
I say the northern cities simply because there are more people. The chances of you not being bothered are decreased. IMO urban ghettos are the worst. Some of the ABSOLUTE worset cities in terms of crime are up North.

Baltimore
Camden
Newark
DC
Philadelphia
Detroit

cmon, thats an all star squad.

then you have parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn which are up there with anyone.

But I wont lose sleep if somebody says more crime in the south. To each his own.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:22 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Northern cities tend to have the crime contained in isolated pockets in the ghettoes. Places like New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, D.C., Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities, Columbus, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Kansas City pretty much mirror this pattern. Southern cities, by contrast, I've found tend to have a crime problem throughout the entire metropolitan area. I remember by looking up the most dangerous areas in the nation, places like New Orleans, Nashville, and Miami were big on the list of most dangerous metropolitan areas. Northern cities tend to be safer in the metropolitan areas overall. With the exception of Detroit, I didn't see any of the other "Northern" cities on the most dangerous metro area list.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
But I wont lose sleep if somebody says more crime in the south. To each his own.
Many studies have been done on the issue (you can google them) and of them, the vast majority have found that southern cities and towns are more dangerous - in fact, the most dangerous region in the nation.

There are many dangerous neighborhoods up north, but the surrounding suburbs are usually ranked among the safest places in the country. That differs from the south, where studies find a smaller gap in crime when comparing suburbs to cities. Even in many suburbs down south, crime is rampant.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Northern cities tend to have the crime contained in isolated pockets in the ghettoes. Places like New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, D.C., Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities, Columbus, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Kansas City pretty much mirror this pattern. Southern cities, by contrast, I've found tend to have a crime problem throughout the entire metropolitan area. I remember by looking up the most dangerous areas in the nation, places like New Orleans, Nashville, and Miami were big on the list of most dangerous metropolitan areas. Northern cities tend to be safer in the metropolitan areas overall. With the exception of Detroit, I didn't see any of the other "Northern" cities on the most dangerous metro area list.
Positive rep point to ya. We typed very similar responses at the same time.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:44 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
Positive rep point to ya. We typed very similar responses at the same time.
hehe yea...I suppose I'll return the favor to you now.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:54 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Hit the nail on the head. In fact, Detroit and St. Louis (which have reputations of being "dangerous") have some of the most affluent suburbs anywhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.