U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,035,938 times

Advertisements

I think in certain states, especially in the South, people in the bigger cities look down on anyone in smaller cities, regardless of the city's size. People in Atlanta tend to look down on anything outside of metro Atlanta. I don't think getting called "country" means that you live in the literal country (farm or backwoods), but it's just people from bigger cities assuming that you're less sophisticated than them because you're from a smaller city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:24 PM

10,660 posts, read 14,448,315 times
I don't know about y'all but IMO 'country' mostly refers to speech, manner of dress, and to some extent, behavior. I think the perceived level of sophistication does probably have a lot to do with it, as mentioned above.
Not really so much to do with where you actually live, or hail from.
My daughter grew up in a city of roughly 600k, she sounds about as 'country' as they come!

Old 07-12-2014, 06:24 AM

13,379 posts, read 7,090,513 times
I would tend to agree that your living situation does not really merit a "country" label. But there's more to it than just strictly country living. Especially as it pertains to North American culture, the term country also has a lot to do with values, mannerisms, hobbies, and such. You are essentially correct to ask two different questions. But who you are is always changeable, even if--as with learning a new language or culture or anything of the sort, really--it becomes harder to do with advancing age as the brain becomes less malleable. A person who, say, grew up on a farm, and was country in every other way, but disavows that lifestyle, goes to live in the city to become a hipster/yuppie/corporate person starts to lose that designation. But the opposite can true: someone who grew up in the city can disavow that lifestyle, move to the country, and start to become a country person, but it's a gradual transition; it sure doesn't happen overnight.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:06 AM

3,089 posts, read 5,477,827 times
I think we are talking about two different things here. Some of us are defining the phrase "living in the country" and others are defining was it means to be described as "country" in adjective form. I agree that being described as "country" as an adjective isn't really based on where a person lives. But if a person IS describing where he/she lives, anything within city/town/village boundaries does not qualify as living "in the country."

Old 07-12-2014, 07:28 AM

320 posts, read 476,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
They would not be considered "country towns" by me. I am sticking to my guns. Anything that is incorporated (town, village, hamlet, city, burg) is not "country."
LOL. What? You should see my Nana's old house and neighborhood in Natchez. When I was a kid some of them still had dirt roads. And don't even get me started on the country towns in the Delta.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:22 AM

10,660 posts, read 14,448,315 times
Yes, there are shades of city vs country. Living in an incorporated area doesn't exactly make you citified either.
I think if the place you live doesn't have at least a bus system, 4 lane streets, turn lanes, fast food joints and strip malls you pretty much live in the country, even if it's a country town or village.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:22 PM

32,289 posts, read 33,190,021 times
I would say someone who lives in rural area.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,481,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
What exactly does it mean to be a "country" person and what exactly is "living in the country" to you?

Example? I'm from Macon, Georgia. Of course, it's not close to being like a major city, but it is a small metropolitan area of 200,000+, CSA of 400,000+

I know nothing about living on a farm or in an extremely rural town. I grew used to seeing city buses everywhere, corner stores, traffic (somewhat), public housing, strip malls, etc.

I'm still called "country" or said to "live in the country" by people from larger cities.

Is it just about having a "southern accent?"
Is being "country" relative to where people are from? (i.e. I've been called a "city boy" by someone from Waycross, GA but "country" by people from Atlanta)

I'm just wondering because it's a little confusing to me. In my opinion, if you live in any metropolitan city (even smaller ones with 100,000-300,000 people), I can't really think of you as being a "country" person.

As large as Atlanta is, I've heard people from places like NYC call Atlanta natives "country."
If you're from Macon, Georgia, you definitely don't live in the country.

I think it means that you don't live in a built-up urbanized area or some other small to moderately sized town. A town of 25 might still be in the country; a town of 5000 is probably not.

It's a tricky term because many metropolitan areas include "country" populations, even though the people that live in the country often have "city" jobs.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:47 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,307,344 times
A "country" person to me, when I use it, means "Country bumpkin."

Someone who is unsophisticated, a little rough around the edges, a little nave, perhaps a little redneck and sticks out like a sore thumb walking in the middle of a big city. Perhaps not coordinated in clothing tastes...a little off when it comes to hair style, physical appearance....Harmless though.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 AM

565 posts, read 547,941 times
It may not be so severe. As a term of endearment "country" seems to be more of a "cultural" moniker than one based on where a person actually comes from. For example, even though southwest VA has cities, those cities and the people in them will still be called country by those in coastal, northern, or even central VA. This has to do purely with the perception of the culture of those regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or