U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:42 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Maine beaches are cold even in the summer, both water and air especially at night. Days are warm, don't get me wrong, you can lay out on the sand like you could in Florida but compared to beaches south, like NY down, New England beaches tend to be a bit more chilly. I've worn sweatshirts on the beach during the day on occasion in Maine. My family has been going to York Beach for decades, it is very nice up there. Almost no humidity, ever.
I spent many summer days as a kid up at York Beach. The beach has really eroded away a lot over the years. I have vivid memories with my mother going up there on an 80 degree Mothers Day at age 13 and I jumped into the ocean. I stayed in the water for a quite a while but I'm pretty sure it's because I had young blood. I was just back in New England around the 4th for a visit and went to Cranes Beach in Ipswich, MA. I made it up to my waste in the water and jumped out about a minute after that. It feels somewhat invigorating on a hot summer day, if only for a brief moment.

Quote:
One thing though, it tends to not snow a lot at the immediate coast.
Unless it's one of those Nor'easter blizzards, then it can dump a few feet of snow. I've seen it happen a number of times but not every year.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 07-10-2014 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 PM

12,640 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I spent many summer days as a kid up at York Beach. The beach has really eroded away a lot over the years. I have vivid memories with my mother going up there an 80 degree Mothers Day as 13 year old an jumping in the ocean. I stayed in the water for a quite a while but I guess it's because I had young blood. I was just back in New England around the 4th for a visit and went to Cranes Beach in Ipswich, MA. I made it up to my waste in the water and jumped out. It feels somewhat invigorating on a hot summer day, if only for a brief moment.
As for staying longer in the cold water as a kid, same here. The last 2 times I've gone were in late August so the water wasn't that bad, but still so cold it hurts at first. You get used to it though, usually.

We once rented a house right across from Long Sands beach, but prefer Short Sands and last time rented at Short Sands, right at the beginning of the road that leads to the Nubble. I much prefer the dry, sandy beach to the rocky one at Long Sands, with the wet cold and hard sand. The tide comes so high there, the sand never dries. High tide is beautiful, with the waves crashing against the large rocks, but the beach is inaccessible, and non existent, at high tide. Beautiful area, though.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:56 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
As for staying longer in the cold water as a kid, same here. The last 2 times I've gone were in late August so the water wasn't that bad, but still so cold it hurts at first. You get used to it though, usually.

We once rented a house right across from Long Sands beach, but prefer Short Sands and last time rented at Short Sands, right at the beginning of the road that leads to the Nubble. I much prefer the dry, sandy beach to the rocky one at Long Sands, with the wet cold and hard sand. The tide comes so high there, the sand never dries. High tide is beautiful, with the waves crashing against the large rocks, but the beach is inaccessible, and non existent, at high tide. Beautiful area, though.
I like Wells and Ogunquit Beach further up the road with much broader and sandier beaches. I'm not sure if you would remember but Long Sands actually use to be a wide sandy beach some 20 years ago, but it's eroded out now with the tide coming in right up on the edge of the road. I do agree that York is beautiful though, only 15 minutes into Maine and Nubble Light gives you that quintessential Maine postcard shot. And don't get me started on the seafood, oh how I miss that!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 PM

12,640 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I like Wells and Ogunquit Beach further up the road with much broader and sandier beaches. I'm not sure if you would remember but Long Sands actually use to be a wide sandy beach some 20 years ago, but it's eroded out now with the tide coming in right up on the edge of the road. I do agree that York is beautiful though, only 15 minutes into Maine and Nubble Light gives you that quintessential Maine postcard shot. And don't get me started on the seafood, oh how I miss that!
I'm quite young, actually, so no I don't remember But I am sure others in my family do, they have been going for at least 50 years. I wish I could have seen it, and that it is still like that, because it would make me enjoy Long Sands much more. I have been to Ogunquit but not Wells.

Yes, the food is great! Something about that cold water, I think.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
The whole mountains and high hills touching the ocean, is more of a westcoast phenomenon. On the eastcoast it's either mountains on one side of the state, and beaches on the other. You can't really have both out here due to the coastal plains. Now, there's plenty of cold beach towns up and down the eastcoast. But coastal areas near killer mountain scenary just won't be found out here(maybe only in Maine). You're better off moving to the westcoast.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:05 AM

34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
Plattsburgh, NY
Somehow i never viewed Plattsburg as a beach town, although its been about 50 years since i last visited Plattsburg Beach..
I'd go for something like Old Orchard Beach or something else in the vicinity, problem with cool beaches is summers dont last long and those places are rather dreary outside of the summer season, better option would be the Outer Banks,its a bit warmer but summer season is much longer.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The whole mountains and high hills touching the ocean, is more of a westcoast phenomenon. On the eastcoast it's either mountains on one side of the state, and beaches on the other. You can't really have both out here due to the coastal plains. Now, there's plenty of cold beach towns up and down the eastcoast. But coastal areas near killer mountain scenary just won't be found out here(maybe only in Maine). You're better off moving to the westcoast.
I have thought about Oregon or N. Cal but I might get bored there.

I wouldn't mind being based in an ocean front town with an hour drive to the mountains on the East Coast. There are a lot of posters, like myself, that don't want the stifling heat of the South.

New Jersey, SE NY, or Conn?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:55 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Two hours is going to be the minimum for anything substantial in altitude with reasonable proximity to the beach. Check out the Pittsfield, Massachusetts area which is at 1100+ feet in the Berkshire Mountains, and two hours from the beaches in Fairfield, Connecticut.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:21 AM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
This is why I suggest lakefront beaches near mountains like this: Lake George Beaches - Million Dollar Beach, Shepards Park & Ushers Park Beaches In Lake George NY

Lake George New York Beaches & Pools and Swimming Holes

GoAdirondack.com-Plattsburgh City Beach

Campgrounds | Port Henry - Moriah

Cumberland Bay State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

GoAdirondack.com-Parks & Beaches

Swimming | Lake Champlain NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-11-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 09:18 AM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Glens Falls, Plattsburgh and some industries in some of the smaller communities(i.e.-Ticonderoga) will be the employment centers in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or