U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:05 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times

Advertisements

I broke your list into three categories, and only selected the options that I would have been willing to accept when I was in college (I have a pretty low threshold/standard). Then I ranked them in order.

Bonafide Cities
San Francisco, CA
Philadelphia, PA
Washington, DC
Los Angeles, CA
New Orelans, LA
Portland, OR
Honolulu, HI
San Diego, CA
Minneapolis, MN
St. Louis, MO
Richmond, VA
Miami, FL
Salt Lake City, UT
Milwaukee, WI

Suburbs of Major Cities
Berkeley, CA
Fairfax, VA
Irvine, CA
DeLand, FL
Redlands, CA
Riverside, CA

College Towns (these places might be defined by their University but are definitely more than just the university)
Boulder, CO
Chapel Hill, NC
Eugene, OR

Keep in mind that a college town thats nothing more than the university might still be able to offer you what you want, but I just wouldn't be interested myself if I was doing it all again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 01:05 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times
Seriously? That's WAY too many cities to even think about. WTH?!

Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,644,306 times
Back before I went to school in Tucson I thought it was a rundown place with nothing to do. I only went there for the school, which I love very much. Now I actually like Tucson better than Phoenix (which Phoenix has a lot more going for it, honestly) because of the school itself. Despite Tucson actually being boring in a lot of ways in the eyes of most people, I'm never bored, because of the friends I made at college and the great social scene there.

While the location of the school is important, it's more important to like where you go. As in the school itself. You should have a good vibe, like the campus, and see great potential in it for YOU. It should also be reputable or close to a major city if not in it, but that's about it as for as location.

If I were to rank colleges based on the cities or towns they were in, U of A would probably be down at the bottom, but really you will find fun anywhere you go.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:43 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,349,676 times
I can't imagine anywhere on that list more boring than Allentown, Pa. I spent a year there one night. Worcester Mass. is a close second

Old 07-12-2014, 02:09 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,058,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewwin View Post
Albuquerque, NM
Allentown, PA
Amherst, MA
Anchorage, AK
Baton Rouge, LA
Berkeley, CA
Blacksburg, VA
Bloomington, IN
Boulder, CO
Chapel Hill, NC
Columbia, MO
DeLand, FL
Eugene, OR
Fairfax, VA
Framingham, MA
Fulton, MO
Geneva, NY
Honolulu, HI
Irvine, CA
Kingston, RI
Lawrence, KS
Los Angeles, CA
Miami, FL
Middlebury, VT
Milwaukee, WI
Minneapolis, MN
New Brunswick, NJ
New Orelans, LA
Norman, OK
Northfield, MN
Orono, ME
Oxford, MS
Philadelphia, PA
Plattsburgh, NY
Portland, OR
Redlands, CA
Richmond, VA
Riverside, CA
Roanoke, VA
Salt Lake City, UT
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
South Bend, IN
St. Louis, MO
Tucson, AZ
Urbana-Champaign, IL
Vestal, NY
Washington, DC
Worcester, MA

I know the list is long but it would help me with college research I know the factors of the school but little about each location!
1. Honolulu
2. Miami
3. San Diego
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco
6. Santa Barbara
7. New Orleans
8. Portland
9. Washington DC
10.Anchorage
11.Minneapolis
12.St. Louis
13.Philadelphia
14.Milwaukee
15.Tucson
16.Berkeley
17.Santa Cruz
18.Irvine
19.Riverside
20.Boulder
21.Chapel Hill
22.South Bend
23.Eugene
24.Salt Lake City
25.Fairfax
26.Redlands
27.DeLand
28.Richmond
29.Roanoke
30.Amherst
31.Baton Rouge
32.Blacksburg
33.Bloomington
34.Columbia
35.Kingston
36.Lawrence
37.Urbana-Champaign
38.Norman
39.New Brunswick
40.Orono
41.Plattsburgh
42.Middlebury
43.Framingham
44.Fulton
45.Geneva
46.Northfield
47.Vestal
48.Oxford
49.Worcester
50.Allentown

Old 07-12-2014, 02:12 PM

5,954 posts, read 7,324,357 times
Why so many places?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:55 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I can't imagine anywhere on that list more boring than Allentown, Pa. I spent a year there one night. Worcester Mass. is a close second
IDK, Piano Man made a song about it.....and it's a beautiful song!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:59 AM

4,812 posts, read 4,998,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I broke your list into three categories, and only selected the options that I would have been willing to accept when I was in college (I have a pretty low threshold/standard). Then I ranked them in order.

Suburbs of Major Cities
Berkeley, CA
Berkeley is a BONAFIDE City in more ways than one, not a suburb of SF, but you could make it your suburb of SF if you choose to, or the other way around. SF could be one's suburb while Berkeley is there primary city.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:19 AM

1,639 posts, read 1,566,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Berkeley is a BONAFIDE City in more ways than one, not a suburb of SF, but you could make it your suburb of SF if you choose to, or the other way around. SF could be one's suburb while Berkeley is there primary city.
When I lived in the Bay Area, I always viewed Berkeley as a suburb of Oakland. Oakland being the core of the East Bay.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yeah, you're not the first person in a suburb to take offense to being called that. I realize that term has negative connotations so I totally understand your response, and from my experience Berkeley certainly seemed like a great, independent community. Doesn't change the fact that it's still outside the main city and therefore a suburb. Your response sounds like you're implying that a suburb is where you live and the primary city is where you work/play, so given that perspective, again, I totally understand your response. But that's not what I meant by suburb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
I can't see what more Chapel Hill is than the university of North Carolina. The downtown is basically owned by the college kids.

I don't see Chapel HIll as a true college town which is off by itself somewhere, not within a large metro like Raleigh.
Yeah, you described in detail what I was saying vaguely. It's not a true college town off by itself somewhere, which is why I say it's more than just the University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or