U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:13 AM

56,601 posts, read 80,890,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
Doesn't every city have a crime problem in an area of town near its downtown, where there is a lot of inexpensive housing that poor people can afford? I can't think of one that doesn't. Maybe a "resort" kind of town like Southern Pines / Pinehurst in NC.

To me it isn't valid to say Florence SC has a crime problem because the suburban areas are as safe as you can get. There is an small area of town that has a crime problem but no need to associate that with the entire metro.
It may skew the city stats, which is what the OP was looking for.

Muskegon Heights, MI is another place that comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Quote:
Doesn't every city have a crime problem in an area of town near its downtown, where there is a lot of inexpensive housing that poor people can afford? I can't think of one that doesn't. Maybe a "resort" kind of town like Southern Pines / Pinehurst in NC.
Not necessarily. Sometimes near downtown has the priciest housing. My city might be too small to count (30,000 total maybe 12,000 lives in walking distance to the center of town), and there are some poor people right in the center (there's both cheap rentals and more expensive housing) crime issues are minimal. Plenty of similarly sized towns without crime issues.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:33 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,600,930 times
Populations around 30,000 or less and excluding large metro areas.
Benton Harbor, MI
Muskegon Heights, MI
Danville, IL

Old 07-12-2014, 11:00 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Appalachia.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,033,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Pine Bluff Arkansas. Ironically it's also home to a HBCU that attracts a good amount of blacks from out of state. Too bad some of the students get involved with that crime life.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...70810081,d.b2U
Yeah, I saw that story awhile back. It's crazy. I used to attend a SWAC school, so I know about PB. A big problem I've noticed in HBCU towns (especially the ones in smaller cities) is a lot of guys come down from big cities up north and think they can "bully" the "country folks." Others (like the girl in the story you posted) think they are "escaping" crime ridden areas in their big urban cities to "go to school in the country" except you can find the same types of characters in many of these small cities.

Two years ago, a female AAMU student from St. Louis was shot in killed outside a bar in Huntsville.
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/07/...ictim_was.html

Isn't that something? Leaving one of the most dangerous cities only to be shot and killed in Alabama while going to college.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-15-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 AM

9,427 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Española, NM
Las Vegas, NM
Gallup, NM
Navajo Reservation

Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM

320 posts, read 473,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Yeah, I saw that story awhile back. It's crazy. I used to attend a SWAC school, so I know about PB. A big problem I've noticed in HBCU towns (especially the ones in smaller cities) is a lot of guys come down from big cities up north and think they can "bully" the "country folks." Others (like the girl in the story you posted) think they are "escaping" crime ridden areas in their big urban cities to "go to school in the country" except you can find the same types of characters in many of these small cities.

Two years ago, a female AAMU student from St. Louis was shot in killed outside a bar in Huntsville.
Night club shooting victim was Alabama A&M student | al.com

Isn't that something? Leaving one of the most dangerous cities only to be shot and killed in Alabama while going to college.
I guess there's still too much hood in some of them when they get to school and they can't stay focused long enough to graduate and go on with life.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,958,843 times
The agricultural, San Joaquin Valley of central California, has possibly the highest CAR-THEFT rate in the nation.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,749,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Pine Bluff Arkansas. Ironically it's also home to a HBCU that attracts a good amount of blacks from out of state. Too bad some of the students get involved with that crime life.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...70810081,d.b2U

I've seen places in rural Arkansas, way out in the country, with bars on the windows. That's just freaky.
Helena, Arkansas always had quite the reputation. Well, pretty much anywhere in the Delta region is like that with few exceptions.

Ozarks:The movie Winter's Bone doesn't represent everyone in the Ozarks, but that sub-culture exists and is best left alone.

Quote:

To me it isn't valid to say Florence SC has a crime problem because the suburban areas are as safe as you can get. There is an small area of town that has a crime problem but no need to associate that with the entire metro.
There are places in the country where smaller towns have been able to avoid high crime rates. Yes, most places that aren't squeaky-clean suburbs and haven't priced out the poor people, do have a section of town that is more impoverished with at least some of the crime that goes along with that.
I think this thread is about places that might rival the more extreme criminal elements of inner cities. There are smaller towns far away from any large city that really are that bad. These places are on another level compared to the typical "wrong side of the tracks".

Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,429,398 times
Killeen Texas has a population of one hundred thirty thousand that city averages fifteen murders a year and has the highest burglary rate in Texas and one of the highest in america killeen is ranked the fifth most dangerous city in texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or