U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:53 AM

135 posts, read 146,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Yeah I totally forgot about Philadelphia's role in the pharmaceutical world. I should've placed Philly higher on my list. But Rochester's influence in American society can't be overlooked. While it has tarnished quite a bit lately, Rochester is where Kodak, Xerox, and Bausch & Lomb were started and developed. Try to imagine American life without those, each of which revolutionalized how Americans live their day-to-day lives. Even if using a Ricoh machine, for example, many people still make "Xerox" into a verb anytime they're photocopying a document. And while Kodak has pretty much zero influence on our society today, for decades that wasn't the case.

And no, Branson has zero influence on American society. It's a popular entertainment destination, almost like a live entertainment museum, but that's about it. Decisions on American entertainment are still made in places like Los Angeles, New York, Las Vegas, and Nashville, not Branson.
Fair enough - influence is a "soft" thing, and any attempt to quantify it is going to be imperfect at best. It is all about opinion, at the end of the day. I just really do not think that Las Vegas has influence over anything other than the creative direction of hotel pool-parties or the accepted layout pattern of slot machines.

You could certainly make a case for Rochester up to the early 80s - today, it is the near equivalent of a forgotten New England mill town, just a bit more recently forgotten. In it's day, it was kind of the "Seattle" of its time, a secondary but significant hub of industry and specific innovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:17 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,071,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post

19. Bentonville AR (retail)
There's a lot I could scratch my head over in this post, but Number 19 is what cracks me up.

Bentonville? Don't you just mean "Walmart"? As if the actual city of Bentonville has any influence over the nation, or even the region. Even the metropolitan area it belongs to (Fayetteville, Rogers, Springdale, all known simply as NW Arkansas) wouldn't come close to TOP 25 status for influence.

This is reflected in several other places where you seem to credit entire cities for the influence wielded by a single corporation or organization. You're more than welcome to start a thread of your own for that purpose, but it's a little baffling when you try to apply it here.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I don't think I'd put Austin in the Top 25. It's a great city, but I would argue that in addition to all of your choices listed, that San Diego, Tampa (maybe), Indianapolis, Kansas City, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Columbus (maybe), Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, and Milwaukee would be more influential.

I'm having a tough time choose 25 out of a top 34.
I'm from Kansas City, so it hurts me to leave it off the list. But I do think Austin is more influential right now, because it's such a trending city. People are really looking to Austin as a bellwether for culture, particularly that of millenials.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Just do a list of the top cities in GDP. That's ultimately what makes a city influential -- money!
That approach will get you close. But some cities wield influence way out of proportion for the profits they produce, based on the nature of their industries. For instance, any city that specializes in entertainment is going to wield outsized influence, because that is the nature of the entertainment industry. Whereas a city whose money comes from heavy industry is more likely to keep a relatively low profile.

The only thing more likely to boost influence than the entertainment industry is the political industry. That's why Washington DC belongs in the top 5, if not the top 2, despite being much further down the list in terms of population or GDP.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,272,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
We all know which are the 25 most populous cities, or the 25 most populous metropolitan areas. But which ones would you say loom the largest on the national stage? Some smaller cities have BIG cultural influence (like Las Vegas or New Orleans) and some BIG cities keep a fairly low profile for their size (like Phoenix).

How would you rank the top 25 Most Influential Cities? Of course it's purely subjective. Here's my list:
  1. New York
  2. Washington, D.C.
  3. Los Angeles
  4. Chicago
  5. San Francisco
  6. Boston
  7. Houston
  8. Atlanta
  9. Dallas
  10. Las Vegas
  11. Philadelphia
  12. Seattle
  13. Denver
  14. Miami
  15. Minneapolis
  16. Phoenix
  17. Portland
  18. Detroit
  19. Austin
  20. New Orleans
  21. Nashville
  22. St. Louis
  23. Cleveland
  24. Orlando
  25. Baltimore
By way of commentary:

(1-5) have Significant Global Influence
(6-15) have Significant National Influence
(16-25) have Moderate National Influence

I agree with a majority of the list but why no San Antonio? San Antonio should be on the list it is one of the fastest growing of the top largest 25 metros. It is also a vital military and energy hub for this nation.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I'm from Kansas City, so it hurts me to leave it off the list. But I do think Austin is more influential right now, because it's such a trending city. People are really looking to Austin as a bellwether for culture, particularly that of millenials.
Tech stuff too.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:20 AM

Austin is a premier city in the second biggest state. It is a bit over hyped and it gets on my nerves sometimes. I see it as the little brat that wants all the attention and cries, me, me, me, me, me and some more, me, and no, no,not you, if at all possible. Lol. That doesn't mean its not a great city with a lot to offer. I need to go visit, again, soon.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 07-15-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,498,160 times
Yeah I think we've all had a little bit of Austin fatigue, but it has more to do with a few over zealous homers on here than much else. Let's not lose perspective over it because it's definitely become a model. But no It's nowhere near that influential of a city. I just hope I dont have to change my address for saying that haha!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I agree with a majority of the list but why no San Antonio? San Antonio should be on the list it is one of the fastest growing of the top largest 25 metros. It is also a vital military and energy hub for this nation.
San Antonio does BARELY make the top 25 in metropolitan population, you're right. But in terms of the national consciousness, it basically equates to the Alamo, and the Riverwalk. Those are both really cool things, and I'm not discounting the impact SA has on the nation, but most of the country isn't aware of it. It's ok to be low profile, but that's really the opposite of being influential, which is what this list is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Austin is a premier city in the second biggest state. It is a bit over hyped and it gets on my nerves sometimes. I see it as the little brat that wants all the attention and cries, me, me, me, me, me and some more, me, and no, no,not you, if at all possible. Lol. That doesn't mean its not a great city with a lot to offer. I need to go visit, again, soon.
I agree in a way, and this kind of makes Austin the opposite of San Antonio. Austin is ten spots lower on the Metro Population rankings (#35 to SA's #25), but it's hard to argue that it occupies a larger place in the national consciousness. Maybe it's deserved and maybe it's not. Maybe it's sustainable and maybe it's not. But since we're talking only about the present (Sorry, Rochester) then I believe it belongs on the list.

P.S. It doesn't hurt, either, that Austin is the capital of Texas. And say what you will about that state, but its huge size and growing economy has made a tremendous impact on the country at large. Thus, its capital city is bound to have an outsized influence.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM

Austin is surely influential when it comes to politics but being much more in the national consciousness, San Antonio, is pretty popular these days, too. I was mainly referring to the best city lists, which, S.A., manages also to make those lists just not ranked as high all the time, as Austin seems too. Sometimes S.A ranks higher in different regards.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 07-15-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or