U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,069,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Austin is surely influential when it comes to politics but being much more in the national consciousness, San Antonio, is pretty popular these days, too. I was referring to the best city lists, which, S.A, manages also to make those lists just not ranked as high all the time, as Austin seems too. Sometimes S.A ranks higher in different regards.
I hope nobody on this thread things we're talking about which cities are better than others. San Antonio may be TWICE the city that Austin is, when it comes to living there, or doing business, or having fun. I don't actually know. But whether it is or not, it's hard to argue right now that it's more influential than Austin. Austin just has too much of a cultural and political advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,269,435 times
politically yes but I'm not sure about, culturally. People flock to San Antonio for its history and culture. People flock to Austin for sxsw and music scene. Its just a different type of draw.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 07-15-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,269,435 times
You must be referring to the lifestyle culture?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:23 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,069,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
You must be referring to the lifestyle culture?
Perhaps I am. Culture is a difficult word; usually when comparing cities it refers to the symphony, ballet, theatre, museums, etc. However, in this instance I meant it to refer more to "youth culture" and/or "pop culture". And yes, SXSW plays into this in a huge way.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,350,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The same could be said about Seattle...outside of tech, mainly Microsoft, what does Seattle have?

Since Spade already covered Dallas & Houston, I'll cover Boston. Boston is as big of a tech center as Seattle, the #1 life sciences city in the country, #2 financial services center in the Americas, and is a major innovation center.
Besides Microsoft, AMAZON, Nordstrom , Starbucks, R.E.I, Boeing Comercial Airlines divension is still headquatered in Seattle also.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,504,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Besides Microsoft, AMAZON, Nordstrom , Starbucks, R.E.I, Boeing Comercial Airlines divension is still headquatered in Seattle also.
Right but you gotta take out Microsoft and Amazon since they're tech. I was criticizing someone for doing the "outside of industry X, what does City Y have?". So taking out tech, you have a coffee company, a department store, a hiking store and a division of an aviation company.

I think it's fair to say Seattle is pretty reliant on tech.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Right but you gotta take out Microsoft and Amazon since they're tech. I was criticizing someone for doing the "outside of industry X, what does City Y have?". So taking out tech, you have a coffee company, a department store, a hiking store and a division of an aviation company.

I think it's fair to say Seattle is pretty reliant on tech.
Not really Seattle is the largest cruise port on the west coast . It has a large tourism industry some of the largest museums in the world in there fields. Seattle also has one of the top bio tech industry's in nation . Also Amazon is tech and retail worlds largest online retailer. It also has one of the largest ports in the nation a large maritime industry.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Not really Seattle is the largest cruise port on the west coast . It has a large tourism industry some of the largest museums in the world in there fields. Seattle also has one of the top bio tech industry's in nation . Also Amazon is tech and retail worlds largest online retailer. It also has one of the largest ports in the nation a large maritime industry.
Forgot to mention Costco also.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:14 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,504,196 times
Quote:
It's not one of the ten most visited cities in the country, so it's hard to say there's a booming tourism industry there.

If you combined the volume of the ports of Seattle & Tacoma, they'd be about the 15th largest port in the country. It's certainly a sizeable port, but not of any huge national significance.

Seattle is certainly a good biotech cluster, you're right about that. It's definitely a very well educated area with lots of contributions to high-skilled industries. I would think it's in the top 10 (prob 7-10th) when it comes to biotech. My point wasn't to say Seattle doesn't have anything other than tech...

...in fact, we're getting a little too far away from my original point which was: I really dislike it when people do the "outside of industry X, what does City Y have?" argument. The original argument set forth by a Seattleite was "what does Dallas have other than oil?". The fact of the matter is, Dallas is a major player in energy/oil just as Seattle is a major player in tech. Neither are premier players in any other industries, though they do have plenty of other economic strengths. However we can't ignore the power that comes from either city's primary industry.

This was my point.

Sure, if you're from an economy that's quite diverse, it's fair to point out that well-roundedness and the ability to thrive in multiple areas, but I'm not sure Seattle has that advantage over Dallas at this point.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:28 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Quote:
I was going to say.... aviation, fishing industry, the port, and tourism. For starters. There's much more to Seattle than just the tech industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or