U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:36 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,296,146 times

Advertisements

It is impossible to make a list like this w/o defining what type of influence (pop culture, day to day life, etc), the time (currently influencing, or that has had the most influence), whether we mean cities proper or MSA's, etc. Still, I'll give it a shot:

1. NYC
2. Washington DC
3. LA

4. SF/SJ (if counted together they are above the next tier, if separate they would be in the next tier down)

5. Chicago
6. Houston
7. Boston
8. Philly
9. Dallas

10. ATL
11. Miami
12. Seattle

After those dozen, I think there are a lot of cities w/ arguments. I'm not sure exactly which ones/what order, but these would all be in my top 25:

Detroit
Denver
Minneapolis
Phoenix
Charlotte
Nashville
Las Vegas
Austin
NOLA
San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 PM

892 posts, read 1,085,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
I would put Columbus, Ohio ahead of any St. Louis or Cincinnati inclusion... but still lower top 25.
That's funny.

Columbus ranks significantly lower than St. Louis in market size, metro population, major league sports presence, Fortune 500 companies, GMP and a number of other metrics. It is also outranked by Cincinnati in most of these categories. And if historic influence/importance is a factor in this thread, there is absolutely no comparison. STL and Cincy are leagues ahead of Columbus. Buckeye = bias.

Last edited by STLgasm; 07-20-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-20-2014, 08:05 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,125,294 times
Washington DC, LA and NYC are most definitely top 3 and pretty much tied for first place IMO. DC because it is our nation's capital, most powerful city in the Free World, etc. NYC because of the media capitol, Wall Street, business. LA because of entertainment, exporting our culture (and the cultures of others) around the world through film, and a great deal of business and media from out there as well.

Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Seattle also come to mind in terms of very influential cities, but nowhere near the other three. Some might also include Dallas, due to a lot of business out there too, particularly with oil.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM

376 posts, read 347,914 times
Default Don't Forget About Charm City

I realize I'm biased due to being a native but I can't believe some are excluding Baltimore from being considered.

Baltimore City has influenced the nation via:

1. National Anthem was written during the Battle of Baltimore
2. Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
3. Great Baltimore Fire lead to the standardization of fire hydrants across the nation
4. Closest eastern seaport to mid-western markets
5. Home to Johns Hopkins - considered one of the best hospitals in the world
6. Inner Harbor's waterfront revitalization studied globally
7. Camden Yards - arguably one of the most influential sports structures in recent history
8. HBO's The Wire - considered one of the best television shows ever

One thing where I acknowledge Baltimore has fallen behind is being the home of major corporations. In recent years Constellation Energy was bought by Chicago based Exelon. Black & Decker was recently bought out by The Stanley Works of Connecticut. Despite this, the Baltimore Metro is still headquarters to nationally recognized companies such as McCormick & Company (Spices & Herbs), Under Armour (Sports Apparel), T. Rowe Price (Finance), Legg Mason (Finance), etc.

IMHO, Baltimore's national influence is rooted in its history, its struggles, and its perseverance. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,311,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Some of you are listing cities just because they're big. Big doesn't always mean influential, particularly on a national level. There are some small towns that are home to very influential organizations that affect the daily lives of Americans, such as Walmart in Bentonville AR.
[*]Minneapolis (retail, consumer products)
Minneapolis (retail, consumer products) - you forgot to include finance, med-tech, agriculture, and health care as well. Overall, your list is very suspect.

Anywho...

The Command and Control Centers of the United States - 2012
1 New York
2 San Jose
3 Washington DC
4 San Francisco
5 Dallas
6 Chicago
7 Houston
8 Minneapolis
9 Seattle
10 Charlotte
11 Atlanta
12 Bridgeport
13 Detroit
14 Fayetteville
15 Philadelphia
16 Los Angeles
17 Omaha
18 Cincinnati
19 Boston
20 Hartford
21 Pittsburgh
22 Denver
23 St Louis
24 Indianapolis
25 Richmond
Source: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/rb/rb430.html

Old 07-21-2014, 03:43 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,075,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Minneapolis (retail, consumer products) - you forgot to include finance, med-tech, agriculture, and health care as well. Overall, your list is very suspect.

Anywho...

The Command and Control Centers of the United States - 2012
1 New York
2 San Jose
3 Washington DC
4 San Francisco
5 Dallas
6 Chicago
7 Houston
8 Minneapolis
9 Seattle
10 Charlotte
11 Atlanta
12 Bridgeport
13 Detroit
14 Fayetteville
15 Philadelphia
16 Los Angeles
17 Omaha
18 Cincinnati
19 Boston
20 Hartford
21 Pittsburgh
22 Denver
23 St Louis
24 Indianapolis
25 Richmond
Source: GaWC Research Bulletin 430
As I stated originally, "influence" is a very subjective concept. However, it's pretty shocking to suggest that BRIDGEPORT and FAYETTEVILLE are more influential cities than LOS ANGELES and BOSTON.

Seriously??? Just because there is an influential corporation (or a few) in your city, doesn't make your city influential.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,311,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
As I stated originally, "influence" is a very subjective concept. However, it's pretty shocking to suggest that BRIDGEPORT and FAYETTEVILLE are more influential cities than LOS ANGELES and BOSTON.

Seriously??? Just because there is an influential corporation (or a few) in your city, doesn't make your city influential.
Yeah, Bridgeport and Fayetteville (and a couple others) stood out for me too. Whatever the case, I posted their list as a starting point and yes, I trust GaWC a bit more than the opinions on this site.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,351,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post

You mean Newcastle upon Tyne in Northern England isn't the most influential city in the world because of the invention of the steam turbine (which produces 80% of modern society's electrical output) in the 19th century? Well that just doesn't make any sense!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,075,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Yeah, Bridgeport and Fayetteville (and a couple others) stood out for me too. Whatever the case, I posted their list as a starting point and yes, I trust GaWC a bit more than the opinions on this site.
Whatever it is GaWC meant by "command and control centers" it's obviously a very different concept than "most influential cities". Especially if it puts Fayetteville (AR? NC?) and Bridgeport higher than Los Angeles and Boston.

I hate to play Captain Obvious. Try thinking for yourself.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM

416 posts, read 572,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
That's funny.

Columbus ranks significantly lower than St. Louis in market size, metro population, major league sports presence, Fortune 500 companies, GMP and a number of other metrics. It is also outranked by Cincinnati in most of these categories. And if historic influence/importance is a factor in this thread, there is absolutely no comparison. STL and Cincy are leagues ahead of Columbus. Buckeye = bias.
Pot, met kettle. When you find any posts about St. Louis you clearly throw your bias around like crazy. I could easily find numbers that support Columbus over St. Louis from population and job growth to diversity. You act like Columbus is devoid of great neighborhoods and big companies. You will have a hard time finding neighborhoods in St. Louis with the vitality and streetlife like the Short North. Crazy too, Cincinnati has more fortune 500 companies than St. Louis. FWIW, I would take Cincinnati over St. Louis and Columbus.

STLgasm =bias
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or