U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,493,210 times

Advertisements

I thought Command and control centers are just a measurement of concentration for specific industries brainpower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,302,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Whatever it is GaWC meant by "command and control centers" it's obviously a very different concept than "most influential cities". Especially if it puts Fayetteville (AR? NC?) and Bridgeport higher than Los Angeles and Boston.

I hate to play Captain Obvious. Try thinking for yourself.
Haha. This is great. If someone ranks cities according to what they think, they are told they have no idea what they are talking about. If someone uses a ranking put together by an organization that specializes in putting these rankings together, she/he is told to try thinking for themselves.

Again, what I posted was only a starting point based on corporate headquarters. Other factors obviously need to be considered (i.e. political power, educational facilities, exports, transportation, media, quality of life, crime, etc...). Whatever the case, when all of these variables are factored in, the list would probably look similar.

I hate to play Captain Obvious, but try not to get so bent out of shape over this as very few care what either of us think.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,070,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Haha. This is great. If someone ranks cities according to what they think, they are told they have no idea what they are talking about. If someone uses a ranking put together by an organization that specializes in putting these rankings together, she/he is told to try thinking for themselves.

Again, what I posted was only a starting point based on corporate headquarters. Other factors obviously need to be considered (i.e. political power, educational facilities, exports, transportation, media, quality of life, crime, etc...). Whatever the case, when all of these variables are factored in, the list would probably look similar.

I hate to play Captain Obvious, but try not to get so bent out of shape over this as very few care what either of us think.
Sure, the Starting Point thing is fine. Let me know when you're finished, and maybe we'll have something worth looking at.

P.S. You'll be happy to know that I have retained my original shape throughout this discussion.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Pot, met kettle. When you find any posts about St. Louis you clearly throw your bias around like crazy. I could easily find numbers that support Columbus over St. Louis from population and job growth to diversity. You act like Columbus is devoid of great neighborhoods and big companies. You will have a hard time finding neighborhoods in St. Louis with the vitality and streetlife like the Short North. Crazy too, Cincinnati has more fortune 500 companies than St. Louis. FWIW, I would take Cincinnati over St. Louis and Columbus.

STLgasm =bias
Columbus is a great city. The Short North is a great neighborhood. Both of these things, in my opinion, are "best kept secrets" of the Midwest. The problem with that is... secrets don't wield influence. If you wanted to debate which was the better city, then sure, let's go. But it's pretty hard to convince anybody, outside Ohio anyway, that Columbus is a more influential city than St. Louis.

Last edited by rwiksell; 07-22-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,108,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
They wee ranking by industries and how important that is the the national economy. And yes you could make a strong argument Seattle has more general national importance the Dallas or Houston. Just because they are larger cities don't make then more important. I mean besides oil what else does Dallas have?
Dallas' economy hasn't been based on oil since the 1980's. Get with the times.

Here is a partial list of major US companies based in Dallas:

(no particular order)

1. AT&T
2. Kimberly-Clark
3. JC Penny
4. Texas Instruments
5. Dean Foods
6. Southwest Airlines
7. Mary Kay Cosmetics
8. Match.com
9. MetroPCS
10. RIM - BlackBerry
11. Samsung - North American Headquarters
12. Rolex - North American Headquarters
13. Six Flags Headquarters
14. Tuesday Morning home decor
15. ZTE Mobile Phones
16. Michael's home decor & crafts
17. La Madeline
18. Interstate Batteries
19. Fossil
20. Frito-Lay
21. Dr. Pepper/Snapple Bottling Company
22. FedEx
23. Haggar Clothing
24. Half Price Books
25. Neiman Marcus
26. Ericsson
27. Dave & Busters
28. Brinker International (Chilli's & Maggiano's)
29. Borden Milk & Dairy
30. Black Eyed Pea Corp.
31. Corner Bakery Cafe
32. Cheddar's
33. Spring Creek Bar B Que
34. Pizza Hut
35. American Airlines
36. Radio Shack
37. Pier One Imports
38. GameStop
39. GE Capital
40. Toyota Motor Corp. North American Headquarters
41. Tenet Healthcare
42. Commercial Metals
43. Zales Jewelers
44. Hotels.com
45. 7-11

The list goes on & on.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,302,982 times
Quote:
Sure, the Starting Point thing is fine. Let me know when you're finished, and maybe we'll have something worth looking at.

P.S. You'll be happy to know that I have retained my original shape throughout this discussion.
Something worth looking at? You mean like your list which includes the likes of Austin, Nashville, Orlando, Portland, and Baltimore?

Old 07-22-2014, 02:01 PM

892 posts, read 1,080,433 times
Columbus doesn't have rail transit. Columbus doesn't have major league sports. And if you want to talk about historical influence, well, Columbus doesn't even show up on the radar. So go ahead and think Columbus is more influential than St. Louis, but it doesn't make it true. You say you have "evidence" that supports your claim that Columbus is currently more influential than St. Louis, so this would be an appropriate thread in which to post it. Gracias.

TV Market Size:

St. Louis: 21
Columbus: 32

Checkmate.

Last edited by STLgasm; 07-22-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Something worth looking at? You mean like your list which includes the likes of Austin, Nashville, Orlando, Portland, and Baltimore?
Yep, that's the one.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,290,084 times
Quote:
We all know which are the 25 most populous cities, or the 25 most populous metropolitan areas. But which ones would you say loom the largest on the national stage? Some smaller cities have BIG cultural influence (like Las Vegas or New Orleans) and some BIG cities keep a fairly low profile for their size (like Phoenix).

How would you rank the top 25 Most Influential Cities? Of course it's purely subjective. Here's my list:
  1. New York
  2. Washington, D.C.
  3. Los Angeles
  4. Chicago
  5. San Francisco
  6. Boston
  7. Houston
  8. Atlanta
  9. Dallas
  10. Las Vegas
  11. Philadelphia
  12. Seattle
  13. Denver
  14. Miami
  15. Minneapolis
  16. Phoenix
  17. Portland
  18. Detroit
  19. Austin
  20. New Orleans
  21. Nashville
  22. St. Louis
  23. Cleveland
  24. Orlando
  25. Baltimore
By way of commentary:

(1-5) have Significant Global Influence
(6-15) have Significant National Influence
(16-25) have Moderate National Influence
Your list was ok until after Dallas.
No way Denver ismore influential than Miami and Detroit should not be lower than Portland of all places.
Las Vegas more important than Philly?LOL

New Orleans has a major port yu know?So no way it should be ranked lower than Austin.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,290,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
They wee ranking by industries and how important that is the the national economy. And yes you could make a strong argument Seattle has more general national importance the Dallas or Houston. Just because they are larger cities don't make then more important. I mean besides oil what else does Dallas have?
Are you serious?Seattle has nothing oveer Dallas or Houston in national importance.
What does Seattle have over them?It has Microsoft and Starbucks.

Houston-NASA,Texas Medical Center,Port of Houston and the 3 largest amount of corporations of any city
Dallas-4th largest amount of corporations.Exxon-Mobil,At&t etc.

Being larger is just ne more thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or