Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:47 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
This list made my head explode. Seattle & Vegas ahead of Boston, Houston, or Dallas? Philadelphia 25th?!?!
They wee ranking by industries and how important that is the the national economy. And yes you could make a strong argument Seattle has more general national importance the Dallas or Houston. Just because they are larger cities don't make then more important. I mean besides oil what else does Dallas have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
Philly is definitely more than just cable
Yeah, is very large in

Pharma, Healthcare, Life Sciences
Law
Education
Oil/Chemicals

Pretty significant in
Tech
Shipping
Finance
Insurance

Definitely a top 10 no matter how you slice it

Old 07-12-2014, 11:49 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I mean besides oil what else does Dallas have?
It's pretty strong in retail/stores, restaurants/food, airlines/aviation, and telecom/technology:

Retail/Stores - Neiman Marcus, JC Penney, Pier One, Tuesday Morning, Michaels, Gamestop, Radioshack, 7-Eleven
Restaurants - Chili's, Dave and Buster's
Food - Frito-Lay, Dr. Pepper/Snapple
Aviation - American Airlines, Southwest Airlines
Telecom/Technology - AT&T, Texas Instruments

Those are just off the top of my head, they may have more headquarters for companies in each of these fields.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:07 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
They wee ranking by industries and how important that is the the national economy. And yes you could make a strong argument Seattle has more general national importance the Dallas or Houston. Just because they are larger cities don't make then more important. I mean besides oil what else does Dallas have?
Well Dallas and Houston are energy centers. Not just oil and natural gas. But solar, wind, water, and electricity. These are very important to the nation.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
The same could be said about Seattle...outside of tech, mainly Microsoft, what does Seattle have?

Since Spade already covered Dallas & Houston, I'll cover Boston. Boston is as big of a tech center as Seattle, the #1 life sciences city in the country, #2 financial services center in the Americas, and is a major innovation center.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:33 PM

135 posts, read 179,589 times
Quote:
The same could be said about Seattle...outside of tech, mainly Microsoft, what does Seattle have?

Since Spade already covered Dallas & Houston, I'll cover Boston. Boston is as big of a tech center as Seattle, the #1 life sciences city in the country, #2 financial services center in the Americas, and is a major innovation center.
I think also that this silly list dramatically understates the influence that Boston has through its institutions of higher education - no metro area comes close to having a similar concentration of stellar universities across so many disciplines. To put it mildly, a sizable portion of the world's great thinkers and elite were very much reared intellectually in Boston - a somewhat smaller amount go to Seattle to eat fried fish in the rain and potentially see whales. I will grant you that millions more visit Las Vegas, but they generally return to middle America minus thousands of dollars and in dire need of antibiotics. Probably a bit less of an "influential" experience.

And putting Rochester in front of Philadelphia was cute. Out of curiosity, was Branson, Missouri #26 on your list?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:26 PM

730 posts, read 815,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
I think also that this silly list dramatically understates the influence that Boston has through its institutions of higher education - no metro area comes close to having a similar concentration of stellar universities across so many disciplines. To put it mildly, a sizable portion of the world's great thinkers and elite were very much reared intellectually in Boston - a somewhat smaller amount go to Seattle to eat fried fish in the rain and potentially see whales. I will grant you that millions more visit Las Vegas, but they generally return to middle America minus thousands of dollars and in dire need of antibiotics. Probably a bit less of an "influential" experience.

And putting Rochester in front of Philadelphia was cute. Out of curiosity, was Branson, Missouri #26 on your list?
Yeah I totally forgot about Philadelphia's role in the pharmaceutical world. I should've placed Philly higher on my list. But Rochester's influence in American society can't be overlooked. While it has tarnished quite a bit lately, Rochester is where Kodak, Xerox, and Bausch & Lomb were started and developed. Try to imagine American life without those, each of which revolutionalized how Americans live their day-to-day lives. Even if using a Ricoh machine, for example, many people still make "Xerox" into a verb anytime they're photocopying a document. And while Kodak has pretty much zero influence on our society today, for decades that wasn't the case.

And no, Branson has zero influence on American society. It's a popular entertainment destination, almost like a live entertainment museum, but that's about it. Decisions on American entertainment are still made in places like Los Angeles, New York, Las Vegas, and Nashville, not Branson.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
We all know which are the 25 most populous cities, or the 25 most populous metropolitan areas. But which ones would you say loom the largest on the national stage? Some smaller cities have BIG cultural influence (like Las Vegas or New Orleans) and some BIG cities keep a fairly low profile for their size (like Phoenix).

How would you rank the top 25 Most Influential Cities? Of course it's purely subjective. Here's my list:
  1. New York
  2. Washington, D.C.
  3. Los Angeles
  4. Chicago
  5. San Francisco
  6. Boston
  7. Houston
  8. Atlanta
  9. Dallas
  10. Las Vegas
  11. Philadelphia
  12. Seattle
  13. Denver
  14. Miami
  15. Minneapolis
  16. Phoenix
  17. Portland
  18. Detroit
  19. Austin
  20. New Orleans
  21. Nashville
  22. St. Louis
  23. Cleveland
  24. Orlando
  25. Baltimore
By way of commentary:

(1-5) have Significant Global Influence
(6-15) have Significant National Influence
(16-25) have Moderate National Influence
I don't think I'd put Austin in the Top 25. It's a great city, but I would argue that in addition to all of your choices listed, that San Diego, Tampa (maybe), Indianapolis, Kansas City, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Columbus (maybe), Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, and Milwaukee would be more influential.

I'm having a tough time choose 25 out of a top 34.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:36 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
And don't forget the footwear companies!

Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Just do a list of the top cities in GDP. That's ultimately what makes a city influential -- money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.