U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:10 AM

9,433 posts, read 18,339,314 times

Advertisements

"Where could I have a whole town full of robots where nobody else would notice? Connecticut!"

The Stepford Wives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times
What comes across on the news: A couple estates for the rich to escape NY, a sprawling suburb similar to New Jersey, and full of illegals and immigrants thanks to sanctuary status.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,911,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What about known about Connecticut ? What the first thing pop in your heard when hear about CT ? Did you forget we were a state ?

How CT cities compare to smaller cities around the nation
I tend to associate Connecticut cities with New Jersey cities in the sense that both states have dense populations (especially New Jersey) but did not allow their cities to annex and take over large areas of the state. I actually like the scale of these cites, a couple of hundred thousand people each, more then the giant NYC that is hard to relate too.

Two things stand out to me about Connecticut cities. One is the large churches with their tall steeples being part of the city skyline. Another is the cities are often hilly in parts, even New Haven down by the water has hills.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yup, I agree. In fact, the only Fairfield County feeling towns I would say would be Greenwich, Stamford, New Canaan, Darien, Norwalk, Westport, Wilton and Ridgefield.
Wouldn't all of Fairfield County count as Fairfield County? Bridgeport counts, too even if the locals wish it were elsewhere. AS for Connecticut cities, many could have been a smaller and rather pleasant version of Boston. Instead, they're mostly in a sad state, poverty and high crime zones. At least they don't have the decay of some Midwestern rust belt cities or a couple of New Jersey ones, but they're all a disappointing bunch.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:15 AM

17,253 posts, read 19,555,335 times
I consider Connecticut to be a wealthy state - especially in the suburbs of New York City.

It is one of the few states I would consider relocating to if I left Maryland.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:26 PM

10,675 posts, read 8,199,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I consider Connecticut to be a wealthy state - especially in the suburbs of New York City.

It is one of the few states I would consider relocating to if I left Maryland.

Not all of CT is NYC suburbs Hartford metro area has over 1 million residents which has most people in the state in that area has more people than Fairfield County and Lower New Haven County(Milford,Orange,New Haven areas. It is bit cheaper to live in Hartford metro area towns like West Hartford, Middletown, Farmington they have walkable downtowns areas too etc

Old 07-12-2014, 12:31 PM

10,675 posts, read 8,199,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wouldn't all of Fairfield County count as Fairfield County? Bridgeport counts, too even if the locals wish it were elsewhere. AS for Connecticut cities, many could have been a smaller and rather pleasant version of Boston. Instead, they're mostly in a sad state, poverty and high crime zones. At least they don't have the decay of some Midwestern rust belt cities or a couple of New Jersey ones, but they're all a disappointing bunch.

Bridgeport is like Springfield MA close to some richest areas in the country there some decent parts in bport same goes for Hartford, New Britain, Waterbury, New Haven, New London, The Valley

I see you from MA you guys got Brockton, New Bedford, Worchester, Holyoke , Cheslea, Fall River, Lowell, Lynn, Lawrence etc.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Bridgeport is like Springfield MA close to some richest areas in the country there some decent parts in bport same goes for Hartford, New Britain, Waterbury, New Haven, New London, The Valley

I see you from MA you guys got Brockton, New Bedford, Worchester, Holyoke , Cheslea, Fall River, Lowell, Lynn, Lawrence etc.
Yep, I'm not saying Massachusetts is great, either. Worcester and Lowell is ok shape, though. Springfield isn't close to any truly rich areas like Bridgeport, it's either middle class or poor.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:47 PM

12,426 posts, read 11,933,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think Connecticut's cities are kinda underwhelming, but I think this is an overstatement.

Downtown New Haven keeps getting better and better. There are two grocery stores in downtown now, and tons of different restaurant options. Plus East Rock and Wooster Square are both safe, stable neighborhoods within walking distance of downtown. Add to this the bevy of activity going on in the downtown fringes, and you have a pretty good walkable core established. New Haven does of course have the highest crime now in Connecticut, but in my experience there as long as you have street smarts and keep out of the really bad neighborhoods it doesn't affect you.

Stamford has done wonders reinventing itself as well, although for my own tastes everything's too new, as the city largely destroyed its old urban infrastructure during the urban renewal period. Norwalk has done fairly well creating a walkable area in South Norwalk which is appealing to young professionals as well, and has more of the historic, New England coastal vibe going on which Stamford and New Haven missed out on.

Hartford is a pit of course. You have a downtown no one lives in, cut off by urban renewal from a north side which is almost exclusively black, and a south side which is almost exclusively Latino. Sections of the West End have remained desirable, but that's about it.

Bridgeport is better in some ways, worse in others. The crime there is these days significantly lower than Hartford or even New Haven. But as a city goes, it just fails miserably. The downtown was horrendously urban renewed, full of parking lots, and doesn't really have any significant employers any longer like Hartford and New Haven. The population will never decline if only because there's tons of lower-income service workers in the region who have to live somewhere, but I don't see any realistic way it can become an economic engine for the region once again.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 12 days ago)

2,043 posts, read 1,994,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I can't stand when people think CT is just a "suburb of NYC." Most of it isn't like that.......except for the area near NYC. Ever since I moved down to Fairfield County from Hartford County, I am appalled that New Yorkers think that Connecticut ends after Fairfield County. To them, it's like Hartford doesn't even exist, yet it's the largest metro area in the state.
And yet (according to the New York Times) the majority of people in Hartford are Yankees fans.

*the walrus shudders*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or