Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,012 times

Advertisements

i am driving to las vegas with 2 other people to move a car for a friend... we plan on taking 5 days, 3 driving-2 not-driving... on the first day we are driving to chicago - stopping in cleveland for a meal half way - then spending the second day seeing chigago... the third day we will be driving from chicago to rocky mountain national park (staying in either boulder or estes park) - stopping in Omaha for a steak half way - then spending the fourth day seeing the park... the fifth day we will drive from colorado to vegas - stopping in Salt Lake City for a meal half way.

this will be my first time driving cross country like this but I am an experienced driver..

any advice on driving on those roads, seeing those cities, suggested routes, things to know, other places to stop for a short break, what to avoid.

anything would be helpful

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 04:19 PM

24,306 posts, read 25,815,368 times
^^ You just might need more days.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:12 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,128,096 times
If you're going to be staying in Boulder or Estes Park, seems out of your way to go to stop in SLC on the way to Vegas (I assume you'd be taking I-80). Seems easier to just take I-70 all the way down. I can tell you that it's a very, very scenic drive especially going through Zion National Park. Taking I-80 seems more time consuming. I've never gone that route but I'm sure it's scenic as well. The one thing about I-70 is that it cuts right into the mountains, and it definitely goes UP. Some people get anxious about the dramatic increase in elevation, but I sorta thought it was fun.

And I personally would switch out steak in Omaha for barbecue in Kansas City, but I'm a little biased :P

The only other thing I would add is that you are going to be doing a lot of driving.... split between a few people isn't bad, but keep in mind that stretch from Chicago to Colorado is about 16 hours. That's quite a lot of time to spend in a car. I'd also suggest you consider lengthening the trip if you can. Even one day would probably make a big difference.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,012 times
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.