U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:49 PM

17,219 posts, read 19,525,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
Nobody cares what your religion is in the South. I personally think blue staters DO care what your religion is, that is, if you have one , especially Christianity, they don't like it.
Christmas is by far the biggest religious holiday in blue states just like it is everywhere else in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:49 PM

6,545 posts, read 3,653,233 times
No. But there are places where the opposite extreme is the norm which, once accepted as "mainstream", causes the false perception that rest of the country is "godless".

Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Every day I count my lucky stars that I live in one of those "godless" blue states. Hallelujah!

PS. there are plenty of churches and religious folk here. They just don't factor much into state politics or legislation. Amen!

Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
So why does it take liberal judges to make gay marriage legal. They factor in just as much there on the one issue that has a religious component to it, just get overturned by a judicial branch writing law

Blue states all over the country have had gay marriage shot down when it is on the ballot.
Well, where I live, that's down to votes. Religion plays no part in it. The issue of marriage, gay or nay, isn't solely a religious matter. Atheists and Agnostics get married too.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 07-13-2014 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
nah but the point is gay marriage is really the only issue that has a religious component to it and people in blue states vote it down when it is on the ballot. Religion is the big reason for many why they are against it, they think homosexuality is a sin.

If it is legal in those states it is because a judge decided to overrule the majority by himself.

You made it out like the South is much different in that religion plays big part of our legislation, I'm just pointing out that the only real big issue involving religion is gay marriage and we've seen it voted down in liberal states.

Atheists and agnostics are not persecuted in the South. That is way you make it sound, like they are mandated to go to church.
Gay marriage is legal where I live, because it was voted in by a majority. There was no overrule by any judge.

I never said anything about the South. I'm well aware that there's no persecution of atheists or agnostics. Not sure why you're responding to me about that.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
This sounds like commentary about the South to me. I'm simply challenging the part about religion plays into our state politics more than other places, given gay marriage has been shot down on the ballot in blue states.

What state do you live in, b/c I'm skeptical that it is legal without a judge deciding it.
I live in Washington state (not Seattle). Do the research for yourself. I'm sorry if you took what I said as "commentary about the South". It wasn't. Seems you're being a bit overly touchy about that. I'm originally from the South, and I understand that not all Southern states are the same. However, it would be ignorant to discount the notion that religion has a huge influence in most red state's politics and lawmaking. And there are many red states that aren't in the South.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
lol, ok. It is funny when people who are being defensive, as you are here, when challenged, accuse the person challenging them of being defensive and touchy. Your comment doesn't make any sense. Religion isn't imposed on people in the South, there is no religious based legislation that I can think of, unless we are tlaking about gay marriage being voted down, which is why I brought up and poitned out is voted down most places, not just the South or other red states. Your comment construed the south as some kind of theocracy where Christians come up with lawas that impact you. You haven't even named one law in the red states that have been devised by religious people and would impact you. You said you thank god that you live in a "godless state" vs a red state so it seems like you would have some examples of this Christian theocracy type of legislation.

I'm skeptical you ever lived in the south. lol
All I can say here is... Wow. Enjoy your evening.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:29 PM

17,219 posts, read 19,525,937 times
By the way, Maryland and Maine are 2 other states where legalizing same-sex marriage was approved by voters.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I live in Washington state (not Seattle). Do the research for yourself. I'm sorry if you took what I said as "commentary about the South". It wasn't. Seems you're being a bit overly touchy about that. I'm originally from the South, and I understand that not all Southern states are the same. However, it would be ignorant to discount the notion that religion has a huge influence in most red state's politics and lawmaking. And there are many red states that aren't in the South.
One of my best friends has lived in Seattle for 20 years and he says there's a pervasive anti-religion, anti-Christianity attitude in the region that he finds just as uncomfortable and distasteful as I assume you do about states that are in the "Bible Belt." He's a member of a large evangelical Christian church in the Seattle suburbs. So it goes both ways.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
One of my best friends has lived in Seattle for 20 years and he says there's a pervasive anti-religion, anti-Christianity attitude in the region that he finds just as uncomfortable and distasteful as I assume you do about states that are in the "Bible Belt." He's a member of a large evangelical Christian church in the Seattle suburbs. So it goes both ways.
Maybe in Seattle. I live on the other side of the state. The Catholic Church is very big here. I would say that it's pretty much 50-50 in the town I live in. It's also very generational. Almost everybody here over the age of 45 goes to church and is actively religious. The younger people for the most part, don't.

I'm not anti-religion. Some of my closest friends and family are Christians, and I fully support their right to religious freedom. I'm just pro-separation of church and state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.