U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:13 PM

75 posts, read 126,542 times

Advertisements

Thank you. I've done some research on the schools in NC and you're right. Not particularly teacher friendly at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 AM

4,812 posts, read 5,003,213 times
Zillow Median List Price:

Sacramento - $255,000
Denver - $370,000

Sacramento hits all your points.

Added bonus:

Sacramento has Perfect Humidity levels, neither Bone Dry, nor sticky humid. More Sunnier than Denver.

Sacramento has lots of fresh water recreation: bigger lakes than Denver and Two Rivers, and Delta Waterway

Sacramento is 2hrs from Ocean beaches, and rugged coastline, and Redwood Forests

Sacramento has 3,000-5,000 feet elevation mountains - 30mins to 1 hour away

Sacramento has 5,000-10,000 feet elevation mountains (Lots of Snow) - 2hrs away

Sacramento has a very mild winter, but wet, Very Colorful Fall, Perfect Spring, No Snow,

Summer: cooler and more comfortable than the Southwest, Texas, Florida, the South, Midwest, and East. Key is our cool evenings, nights, mornings and lower Heat Index temps, and perfect humidity levels throughout most of the Summer.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-16-2014 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,529,757 times
Are you and your husband averse to living in the Northeast Corridor again? Even though the weather may not be super-desirable based on your wish list (e.g., little-to-no snow and low humidity) and housing can obviously be expensive (although affordable housing still exists in certain areas), it still covers the rest of your list extremely well.

Specifically, the Philadelphia area would be a place to look into, as it is still has the most reasonable cost-of-living, comparable to the Denver area.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM

75 posts, read 126,542 times
Hmmm....interesting suggestions for sure. I guess my feeling on the NE corridor, all the way down to DC, is we'd really be ditching the more laid-back, friendly vibe we have grown to love out here.

As for Sacramento - my husband was offered a job there about a year ago, and turned it down because he didn't want to move! Oh, life.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,831,191 times
There is a long list of cities to recommend but your "low cost of living" disqualifies all of them. Those days are gone. I have been looking for a similar place between mountains and beach. You will have to pay up to live the lifestyle.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 AM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Athens, Georgia would be a good option for you. The SW side has excellent public schools, the cost of living/home prices are well below your current situation, has close proximity to mountains/beaches, not much winter to speak but about two months of summer that's not the most pleasant (four seasons), it's a progressive/left of center town with plenty of unique local businesses and is a very desirable place to live in my opinion.

Accolades | Athens-Clarke County, GA - Official Website

Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,943,201 times
Cheaper than Denver, with beaches and mountains within a short distance.... if you want a city of a similar size to Denver as well, I would suggest Milwaukee.

It is about an hour from the "Western Wisconsin Uplands" and the "Driftless Area"...

Also has a close proximity to Chicago, Madison, the Northwoods, another great lake, etc....

A highly underrated, and therefore under-priced, city in comparison to cities of the same size range.

*All pics are labeled for reuse*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or