U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:25 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,185,426 times

Advertisements

Try Boston, MA

Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, Boston Bruins etc

Boston have ton of nightlife, bars, good food spots, young people, college girls

Boston is kinda like college city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 PM

339 posts, read 2,048,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Try Boston, MA

Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, Boston Bruins etc

Boston have ton of nightlife, bars, good food spots, young people, college girls

Boston is kinda like college city.
How expensive is Boston and how diverse is it? Maybe it's just this forum, but it seems as though people say it's way overpriced for what you get. It otherwise seems like a good fit for me. I assume it gets 4 seasons or is it mostly cold year-round?

Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 PM

3,958 posts, read 3,489,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
I'm fine with wherever. The physical location is fine as long as it's continental US (sorry Alaska/Hawaii). I'm not too concerned about being too isolated and all that as others may be.

Ok that makes more sense. Not that I think you're a liar, but can anyone else confirm that this the general demeanor/culture of midwest cities? I'm definitely all about the friendly/modest but hardworking/enterprising mentality in the city I want to relocate to. As I said, west coast/southeast was too friendly/modest (and thus slow) and the northeast is too hardworking/enterprising for my taste. Somewhere in the middle (maybe more toward the friendly/modest side but only slightly) is my ideal fit.
Based on your criteria I'd also say you're sounding like a good fit for parts of the midwest. Suburban Detroit has all of your criteria along with your weather. Michigan tends to have milder winter temps than the surrounding midwestern areas because of the lakes. The summers tend to stay in the 80s. When I moved to the midwest I found people to be neutral in demeaner, not too friendly not too rough. You can move at your own pace be it fast or slow. Also I'd look into Indy, It has a couple major sports teams so perhaps that isn't enough for you. But it's centrally located, with decent weather and metro pop big enough to make it cosmopolitan.

The biggest thing for a lot of these cities is cost of living. You'll often find the same amenities as some of the more noteable markets but for much more reasonable rates. Metro Detroit has the more elite shopping that you find in peer markets, along with cultural amenities and sports franchises.

Look into Nashville, Cinci, Columbus, Cleveland. Long shot might be Louisville. Louisville suprised the heck out of me when I moved there, trade off would be slightly hotter summers.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:07 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,185,426 times
Quote:
How expensive is Boston and how diverse is it? Maybe it's just this forum, but it seems as though people say it's way overpriced for what you get. It otherwise seems like a good fit for me. I assume it gets 4 seasons or is it mostly cold year-round?

Boston is expensive but not as expensive as Manhattan

If u want live near the excitement

Rent in Manhattan $2,700
Rent in Boston $1,900

you live can in Medford, MA just 5-10 mins outside Boston rent is like cheaper than Boston but very very close to Boston there train and bus line near it.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:24 PM

56,553 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Boston is expensive but not as expensive as Manhattan

If u want live near the excitement

Rent in Manhattan $2,700
Rent in Boston $1,900

you live can in Medford, MA just 5-10 mins outside Boston rent is like cheaper than Boston but very very close to Boston there train and bus line near it.
What about Quincy, which also fulfills the diversity with a good sized Asian population? Quincy, MA Population and Races

Parts of Cambridge may work too: Cambridge, MA Population and Races

Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 PM

Boston seems solid, but its a touch expensive. Are there places there where you can buy an average home for no more than $450,000? My ideal average home price would be 400-450 and hopefully no more than 500 at absolute worst, while still having good schools and all.

Otherwise how are Philadelphia/NJ in terms of living? I'm not sure if they have a ton of jobs but I do know the pharmaceutical sector is solid there. Are they experiencing any boom in terms of economy or are they declining?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Boston seems solid, but its a touch expensive. Are there places there where you can buy an average home for no more than $450,000? My ideal average home price would be 400-450 and hopefully no more than 500 at absolute worst, while still having good schools and all.

Otherwise how are Philadelphia/NJ in terms of living? I'm not sure if they have a ton of jobs but I do know the pharmaceutical sector is solid there. Are they experiencing any boom in terms of economy or are they declining?
Bump

Old 07-19-2014, 10:43 AM

4,452 posts, read 7,518,998 times
Quote:
That's still doable in the Boston area, but you'd definitely be living farther from the city (incidentally, I'm looking for the same thing myself. You're basically pushed to being outside of Route 128, if you're familiar with the area), but I'm not necessarily sure if city proximity is important to you.

Quote:
The Philadelphia area (including Southeastern PA and Southern NJ) is certainly not declining economically, but it is more of a slow growth region. You're correct that the pharmaceutical/life sciences sector is a major contributor to the region, as well as higher ed. and medicine. Overall, looking at recent job growth data, it does really seem like things are definitely picking up there as the national economy recovers.

In terms of cost-of-living, you can absolutely find many areas with solid school districts and homes below 450K around Philly. If you'd still like to live in a major East Coast metro and are looking for more affordable housing, I'd definitely recommend the Philly metro as an option.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:35 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,226,499 times
To the OP: If you grew up in Los Angeles, Orange County, or the San Francisco Bay Area (namely the city, Marin, and parts of the peninsula), there is definitely plenty of status-whoring, prestige-seeking, rude, and obnoxious jerks populating these areas. And then the wannabes otherwise in and around these cities, plus San Diego and Sacramento. At the very least, I wouldn't call L.A., O.C., or the Bay Area "slow." But then, I am a native Southerner whose family has been in the South for (at least) nine generations, so effectively and perspectively my world view is different. With that said, I actually do like living in California, one just has to navigate the social scene for the less "loud" and "active" people, who tend to be more normal and less narcissistic.

Now, as for the East Coast...no, thanks. I understand why you want to leave. "Real" = just plain rude in my book, in many cases. Although rural Northeasterners I've met from inner Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, or upstate New York, for examples, tend to be much more down-to-Earth (a good "real") than their counterparts closer to the Atlantic. I don't know how these people would thus compare to coastal Californians since I haven't spent a great deal of time in the rural NE.

But why not look into some of the cities of the rural NE, since you're already close to there? I'm thinking Pittsburgh (not really rural, but still more isolated), Morgantown, Rochester, some place like that. More diverse cities than you might think, too, although Pittsburgh is the only veritable big city of the list. You could also look into Chicago, St. Louis, and the Twin Cities.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:48 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Going all the way back to the OP, I don't understand how someone would ideally like the temperature to range from 20 to 80ish across the year but thinks that 50 degrees at Christmastime is unacceptable. The reality is that places that only get down to 20 degrees in the Winter are highly likely to be around 50 degrees at Christmastime since that is the very beginning of season.
Wanting colder weather at Christmas but a winter no colder than 20 degrees seems incongruent to me.
That said, if I were to think of a city that meets most of your requirements other than the subjective ones that only you can really determine for yourself, I imagine that you could consider Denver or Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.