U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 PM

268 posts, read 345,166 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily. Phila/SJ stays on average warmer than 20 and late Dec is typically 40s depending on warm/cold snaps. It's snowed in Dec but also had warmer weather.

Phila is good a good city and offers many of the things you want. In the city, people can be a little rude, but the burbs are nice to live. Phila offers wonderful cultural amenities and the location can't be beat. Close to NYC, Boston and DC plus easy access to both mountains and the shore.

Check out Haddonfield, NJ. It's a great, classic town with a great downtown. Plus, the high speed line stops there giving you easy access to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 12:51 AM

339 posts, read 2,048,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
To the OP: If you grew up in Los Angeles, Orange County, or the San Francisco Bay Area (namely the city, Marin, and parts of the peninsula), there is definitely plenty of status-whoring, prestige-seeking, rude, and obnoxious jerks populating these areas. And then the wannabes otherwise in and around these cities, plus San Diego and Sacramento. At the very least, I wouldn't call L.A., O.C., or the Bay Area "slow." But then, I am a native Southerner whose family has been in the South for (at least) nine generations, so effectively and perspectively my world view is different. With that said, I actually do like living in California, one just has to navigate the social scene for the less "loud" and "active" people, who tend to be more normal and less narcissistic.

Now, as for the East Coast...no, thanks. I understand why you want to leave. "Real" = just plain rude in my book, in many cases. Although rural Northeasterners I've met from inner Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, or upstate New York, for examples, tend to be much more down-to-Earth (a good "real") than their counterparts closer to the Atlantic. I don't know how these people would thus compare to coastal Californians since I haven't spent a great deal of time in the rural NE.

But why not look into some of the cities of the rural NE, since you're already close to there? I'm thinking Pittsburgh (not really rural, but still more isolated), Morgantown, Rochester, some place like that. More diverse cities than you might think, too, although Pittsburgh is the only veritable big city of the list. You could also look into Chicago, St. Louis, and the Twin Cities.
I think the west coast is about as friendly as it gets. It'll be less friendly than the southeast because it's bigger, but I get annoyed sometimes at how carefree people can be because this sometimes leads to flakiness or a general lack of ambition/accountability. The south is a really nice place though, so I can see what you mean. The climate is more my speed too aside from the summers (although I dealt OK with them after a month or so). I'm thinking Boston/Philly mights be more down to earth because they are tamales, but I could be wrong

Maybe other cities are different but Raleigh felt way too overtly religious (note: I actually like religious people despise being noon-religious, but people were a bit top outspoken about their love for god... Maybe it's another thing to get used to bedding raised out west?). People arent rude to you for notify being Christian, but I definitely felt a touch out of place. The fact that it was so overwhelmingly black and white probably didn't help much either. Are there more cosmopolitan cities down south? I hate using that word because it makes its sound like anyone who believes in god is a backwards Looney, but I can't think of any other word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Going all the way back to the OP, I don't understand how someone would ideally like the temperature to range from 20 to 80ish across the year but thinks that 50 degrees at Christmastime is unacceptable. The reality is that places that only get down to 20 degrees in the Winter are highly likely to be around 50 degrees at Christmastime since that is the very beginning of season.
Wanting colder weather at Christmas but a winter no colder than 20 degrees seems incongruent to me.
That said, if I were to think of a city that meets most of your requirements other than the subjective ones that only you can really determine for yourself, I imagine that you could consider Denver or Pittsburgh.
The weather part was hyperbole. I just don't want a yellow Christmas is what I was getting at

Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 AM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
To the OP: If you grew up in Los Angeles, Orange County, or the San Francisco Bay Area (namely the city, Marin, and parts of the peninsula), there is definitely plenty of status-whoring, prestige-seeking, rude, and obnoxious jerks populating these areas. And then the wannabes otherwise in and around these cities, plus San Diego and Sacramento. At the very least, I wouldn't call L.A., O.C., or the Bay Area "slow." But then, I am a native Southerner whose family has been in the South for (at least) nine generations, so effectively and perspectively my world view is different. With that said, I actually do like living in California, one just has to navigate the social scene for the less "loud" and "active" people, who tend to be more normal and less narcissistic.

Now, as for the East Coast...no, thanks. I understand why you want to leave. "Real" = just plain rude in my book, in many cases. Although rural Northeasterners I've met from inner Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, or upstate New York, for examples, tend to be much more down-to-Earth (a good "real") than their counterparts closer to the Atlantic. I don't know how these people would thus compare to coastal Californians since I haven't spent a great deal of time in the rural NE.

But why not look into some of the cities of the rural NE, since you're already close to there? I'm thinking Pittsburgh (not really rural, but still more isolated), Morgantown, Rochester, some place like that. More diverse cities than you might think, too, although Pittsburgh is the only veritable big city of the list. You could also look into Chicago, St. Louis, and the Twin Cities.
I was thinking about Buffalo and the Amherst area near the University of Buffalo campuses/Williamsville in particular due to being a suburban area with some diversity. You will find more Asians in that area due to the university. Toronto isn't too far away and could be good for occasional trips in terms of more to do(Raptors and/or Blue Jays games, etc). 14261 Zip Code Population and Races
Official Website for the Town of Amherst, NY

City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

If the OP went with the Rochester area, Brighton is a suburb that is about 13% Asian and it is next to the SE Quarter of the city, which has some nightlife and shopping. South Clinton Ave in that area of town has a concentration of Asian restaurants/markets: https://rocwiki.org/South_Clinton_Avenue

https://rocwiki.org/Southeast_Quadrant

https://rocwiki.org/Brighton

https://rocwiki.org/Neighborhoods

Both of these metros are less than an hour away. So, if say you like Rochester, you can still make it to a Bills game within a reasonable time. Many fans come from surrounding areas in the US and Canada anyway.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-20-2014 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Is there a reason why people are mostly recommending midwest cities? Also, I know nothing about the region having never lived/visited there, how bad are the winters? The numbers I posted were averages (and even then there is some wiggle room), so I don't want to eliminate those cities just because they may be a little colder/warmer depending on the year.

Because the Upper Midwest cities fit every category on your list. The Midwest gets a bum rap. If you stay out of the snowbelt areas, then the winters aren't that bad. EVERYONE wants a moderate winter. The cities with true moderate winters are NEVER warm, the sun rarely shines, and there are not four seasons.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:57 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Because the Upper Midwest cities fit every category on your list. The Midwest gets a bum rap. If you stay out of the snowbelt areas, then the winters aren't that bad. EVERYONE wants a moderate winter. The cities with true moderate winters are NEVER warm, the sun rarely shines, and there are not four seasons.
Huh? What are you trying to say in the last sentence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.