U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:28 PM

339 posts, read 2,048,719 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Let me first speak a bit about me before asking for your help. I'm from California, went to school in the NW and then got my graduate degree in the Southeast. Currently, I'm living in a major NE city (think Philly, DC, NYC) and don't hate it per se, but am looking for something new.

Having lived west and spent significant times in most major regions in the US (basically everywhere except the midwest/southwest/rocky mountain west), I've gotten a feel for my likes/dislikes in cities. I'm still young (25), but having done the urban, expensive city thing for a couple of years, I'm ready to move on and settle down a bit. I'm very career-focused and not looking to marry soon, but I'm an old man at heart and am striving for a quieter, more routine life. My work can take me to just about any major metro, so I don't need to be in a certain area for my job either. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. In terms of size, I'd ideally want to be somewhere that is big/important enough to attract the attention of major sports franchises. I know, that's a very poor way to describe a city, but I've found it's a good proxy and cities that don't have at least an MLB, NBA, and NFL teams are too small for my taste. Exceptions are there, but that has been my general experience. At the same time, I think LA/NYC are too much for me. I'm not a huge fan of car-less, super urban living and would prefer to live in the suburbs then commute into a major city's downtown.

2. I love 4 season weather. To me, the idea of it being 50 and sunny (or even overcast) during Christmastime is absurd. Similarly, having 30 degree weather during June/July would be depressing too. If possible, the west coaster in me hates extremes. My tolerance for cold weather is around 20 degrees while my tolerance for heat is up to 80ish degree weather. If it can be within those ranges on average, that'd be ideal, but I wouldn't sacrifice an otherwise perfect match on the basis of weather.

3. In terms of activities, I like either cultural or outdoor activities. One thing I like about the east coast is that lots of people are intellectual and appreciate higher forms of entertainment. I love going to museums, going to a symphony, discussing philosophy/politics, or otherwise learning for pleasure. I'm not a fan of bars/clubbing and have never enjoyed cities where that is the main form of recreation (i.e. college towns) nor do I enjoy the company of people who struggle to find amusement in life outside of getting drunk and going home with the opposite sex. Additionally, I enjoy being active and spending time outdoors. Being in a city that has good access to camping/hiking, the mountains, lakes, or natural beauty in general for weekend excursions is vital.

4. I really like diversity, particularly when it comes to Asian culture. The west coast, particularly the Northwest, is quite vanilla and I would like to interact with more immigrants and different ethnic groups. It doesn't have to be quite like NYC in terms of diversity, but having 70%+ Caucasian, as I believe the PNW is, isn't ideal either. At the very least, a large Asian populace would be nice.

5. Cost of living is huge for me and a large reason why I want out of the Northeast. While I need to be in a place with a lot of jobs/career opportunities, I don't want to have to pay a lot to live in a place with good schools and a reasonable commute (to me, reasonable is 25-30 mins from the downtown of a city since I plan on living in the burbs).

6. Finally, and I'm about to generalize a fair amount, in terms of lifestyle, the west coast was too slow and the east coast was way too fast/abrasive for my taste. If there is a place that's a happy medium, that is where I fit. I am a generally more laid back person, but I find west coast people to be too flaky and unambitious. On the other hand, although I'm ambitious, east coast people strike me as overly ambitious and can be extremely rude. I appreciate the realness (i.e. not wasting my time by pretending to be nice), but at the same time, I don't like the constant prestige/status whoring that goes around or how unapproachable people can be. My ideal city is a place that has a culture of being down-to-earth (i.e. not self-aggrandizing ivy snobs), but hardworking people that are friendly and willing to meet new people/help others out. I've heard the midwest kind of fits this, but have never been there and thus can't comment.

This might be a lot to ask for and I apologize for making such a long post, but if anyone has ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:00 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,829,566 times
Cleveland or Chicago

Old 07-13-2014, 08:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,447,601 times
Chicago, but it gets colder than 20 degrees, and sometimes warmer than 80. But it checks all the other boxes on your list.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 PM

56,645 posts, read 80,952,685 times
I dare add suburbs of Detroit like Farmington Hills/Farmington, Troy, Novi, Plymouth, Rochester Hills/Rochester, parts of Southfield around Lathrop Village, etc. Novi, the Rochesters, Troy and the Farmingtons have good sized Asian populations too.

Outside of the weather, the Twin Cities would work too.

If you didn't mind the more affordable Interior Northeast, certain suburbs or even city neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and Buffalo would work.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-13-2014 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 03:27 PM

Is there a reason why people are mostly recommending midwest cities? Also, I know nothing about the region having never lived/visited there, how bad are the winters? The numbers I posted were averages (and even then there is some wiggle room), so I don't want to eliminate those cities just because they may be a little colder/warmer depending on the year.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:42 PM

10,675 posts, read 8,199,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Is there a reason why people are mostly recommending midwest cities? Also, I know nothing about the region having never lived/visited there, how bad are the winters? The numbers I posted were averages (and even then there is some wiggle room), so I don't want to eliminate those cities just because they may be a little colder/warmer depending on the year.

What about CT, MA, RI

Old 07-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I think because you mentioned some regions you haven't lived in before and it seems like you wanted to try something different.

Winters can be pretty cold, but it will vary in terms of to what degree within the Midwest.

I also guess that Denver and maybe Salt Lake City could be worth a look as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-14-2014 at 07:18 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,675,691 times
The Midwest will probably fit you like a glove. I can especially see you in Minneapolis-they have a sizeable Asian population, have all 4 major sports, and have a good-mannered and classic, down to earth character about them. They don't have good weather, but it fits the rest of your criteria very well. Someone else suggested the Detroit suburbs, those would probably work really well too. Chicago would work well also, and would be the best option you've got for your diversity criteria. Basically all of the northern metropolises fit you pretty well outside of the weather requirement. Also, another good city may be St. Louis-diversity isn't spectacular, but it's there in the better neighborhoods (a lot of the central corridor neighborhoods and municipalities are ~10% Asian). It's another classic Midwestern city with a classic Midwestern attitude; it has a slow, but not lazy, pace of life while also providing the amenities that only a big city could provide (including 3 major league sports teams, and good cultural amenities). It also has a good network of parks, trails, and natural amenities. There aren't many lakes or mountains, but the StL area isn't a natural slouch.

Anyway, keep looking at Midwestern cities, as those cities all meet your criteria best.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What about CT, MA, RI
I'm fine with wherever. The physical location is fine as long as it's continental US (sorry Alaska/Hawaii). I'm not too concerned about being too isolated and all that as others may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
The Midwest will probably fit you like a glove. I can especially see you in Minneapolis-they have a sizeable Asian population, have all 4 major sports, and have a good-mannered and classic, down to earth character about them. They don't have good weather, but it fits the rest of your criteria very well. Someone else suggested the Detroit suburbs, those would probably work really well too. Chicago would work well also, and would be the best option you've got for your diversity criteria. Basically all of the northern metropolises fit you pretty well outside of the weather requirement. Also, another good city may be St. Louis-diversity isn't spectacular, but it's there in the better neighborhoods (a lot of the central corridor neighborhoods and municipalities are ~10% Asian). It's another classic Midwestern city with a classic Midwestern attitude; it has a slow, but not lazy, pace of life while also providing the amenities that only a big city could provide (including 3 major league sports teams, and good cultural amenities). It also has a good network of parks, trails, and natural amenities. There aren't many lakes or mountains, but the StL area isn't a natural slouch.

Anyway, keep looking at Midwestern cities, as those cities all meet your criteria best.
Ok that makes more sense. Not that I think you're a liar, but can anyone else confirm that this the general demeanor/culture of midwest cities? I'm definitely all about the friendly/modest but hardworking/enterprising mentality in the city I want to relocate to. As I said, west coast/southeast was too friendly/modest (and thus slow) and the northeast is too hardworking/enterprising for my taste. Somewhere in the middle (maybe more toward the friendly/modest side but only slightly) is my ideal fit.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I'm fine with wherever. The physical location is fine as long as it's continental US (sorry Alaska/Hawaii). I'm not too concerned about being too isolated and all that as others may be.

Ok that makes more sense. Not that I think you're a liar, but can anyone else confirm that this the general demeanor/culture of midwest cities? I'm definitely all about the friendly/modest but hardworking/enterprising mentality in the city I want to relocate to. As I said, west coast/southeast was too friendly/modest (and thus slow) and the northeast is too hardworking/enterprising for my taste. Somewhere in the middle (maybe more toward the friendly/modest side but only slightly) is my ideal fit.
I think so and I also think that is why some people refer to the Interior Northeast as having a Midwestern demeanor, because it is similar in that regard. So, it is legit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.