U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:39 PM

275 posts, read 235,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I second Chattanooga It's quite impressive for its size if you've never been there. It's lower on the radar but it's definitely getting trendy quickly.
Thanks. I'll add that Chattanooga is also serious about public transportation. Not only does it have one of the largest fleets of electric buses in the country including buses with solar panels, it's seriously considering using abandoned railroads in the city to create a light rail network.

All aboard? Chattanooga eyes $35 million light rail system | Times Free Press

If they succeed (and I'm sure they will) I believe Chattanooga will be one of the smallest, if not the smallest MSA in the country (just over 500k) to have its own light rail network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 PM

233 posts, read 281,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Columbus Ohio
2,000,000 people but no one really knows about it.
I will definitely agree here. My last company was based there - and I had a lot of coworkers take jobs in that area and were very very impressed with it. I have some sort of affinity for any city in Ohio for some reason - and would like to see the cities in the north someday follow suit.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:43 PM

371 posts, read 284,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Florence is kind of out in the boonies and there just isn't much going on there, at least the last time I was there about two years ago. I know nothing about LA.

I've been partial to SC for awhile now. Columbia, Greenville, and Charleston are all what I'd call mid-size cities, and both have made wonderful improvements to their downtowns, economy, and just livability over the past few years. I am consistently amazed at Greenville in particular - it has a wider variety of shopping, restaurants, and bars than you'll see in about any city of this size.

Yes, I like Charleston, and to a lesser extent, Columbia as well. Problem is, so does everyone else. The cost of living in those cities is not much cheaper than here in central PA. I'm kind of looking for that diamond in the rough, and get in while it's still cheap.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Columbus Ohio
2,000,000 people but no one really knows about it.
Thanks but brrrrr. I'm trying to escape these brutal Pennsylvania winters, I doubt it's any milder in Ohio.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Roanoke VA, Lexington KY and Augusta GA may be a few more to consider.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
What are some small to medium sized cities that are up and coming. Looking for a city that is still cheap to live in, but is revitalizing their downtown and growing in popularity. I'd like to move there before it becomes trendy(and expensive). I have been hearing great things about Florence, SC, and Lafayette, LA. What cities(with a warmish climate), would you recommend?
Winston Salem NC or Greensboro NC fit the bill. They're neighboring cities that have been very actively revitalizing their downtown areas, have real estate/rental rates well below the national average and are in close proximity to two metro areas that have seen massive growth and rising costs (Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham). The Greensboro-Winston Salem area is very centrally located with sufficient infrastructure (highways, nice sized airport), room to grow, a fairly well-skilled/well-educated population to attract employers and in my opinion a no-brainer as one of the next to see significant growth given those factors.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
Quote:
Thanks but brrrrr. I'm trying to escape these brutal Pennsylvania winters, I doubt it's any milder in Ohio.
If you think winter in PA or Columbus is "brutal" than you can nix anywhere north of the 36th parallel while you're at it. I personally wouldn't consider 35-40 degrees on average as "brutal", so I can't help you with advice.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:49 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,113,139 times
Quote:
What are some small to medium sized cities that are up and coming. Looking for a city that is still cheap to live in, but is revitalizing their downtown and growing in popularity. I'd like to move there before it becomes trendy(and expensive). I have been hearing great things about Florence, SC, and Lafayette, LA.
What cities(with a warmish climate), would you recommend?
Quote:

Warm winters would have been a good thing to put in the original post. Any other things we should know?

Old 07-16-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Warm winters would have been a good thing to put in the original post. Any other things we should know?

I believe I did mention "warmish climate" in the original post. Meaning it doesn't have to be tropical, but not a place like PA or OH, where you get 5 months of winter each year.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 PM

62 posts, read 86,343 times
Spring Hill and Chattanooga Tennessee, Northwest Arkansas, West Little Rock, Augusta Georgia, Greenville South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or