Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:18 AM

417 posts, read 444,712 times

Advertisements

What are some small to medium sized cities that are up and coming. Looking for a city that is still cheap to live in, but is revitalizing their downtown and growing in popularity. I'd like to move there before it becomes trendy(and expensive). I have been hearing great things about Florence, SC, and Lafayette, LA.
What cities(with a warmish climate), would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 12:49 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
I was going to say Austin, but I think it's already considered "trendy." How about Nashville?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:45 AM

603 posts, read 930,864 times
OP, how would you define small to medium size? I want to make sure you are getting suggestions that fit along with your ideal sized places.

You mention Florence SC, city pop about 40,000 and area pop of 200,000 and Lafayette, LA with about 120,000 in the city and 600k in the area. Going by those sizes, I'd also suggest checking out Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville, aka Northwest Arkansas. It is a beautiful area and growing. Solid economy too. Cost of living is very reasonable and has four seasons with a mild winter. You might like it.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Murfreesboro TN may work. Perhaps Huntsville AL and Bowling Green KY too.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Florence is kind of out in the boonies and there just isn't much going on there, at least the last time I was there about two years ago. I know nothing about LA.

I've been partial to SC for awhile now. Columbia, Greenville, and Charleston are all what I'd call mid-size cities, and both have made wonderful improvements to their downtowns, economy, and just livability over the past few years. I am consistently amazed at Greenville in particular - it has a wider variety of shopping, restaurants, and bars than you'll see in about any city of this size.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:51 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Florence is kind of out in the boonies and there just isn't much going on there, at least the last time I was there about two years ago. I know nothing about LA.

I've been partial to SC for awhile now. Columbia, Greenville, and Charleston are all what I'd call mid-size cities, and both have made wonderful improvements to their downtowns, economy, and just livability over the past few years. I am consistently amazed at Greenville in particular - it has a wider variety of shopping, restaurants, and bars than you'll see in about any city of this size.
I think the reason why Greenville is like that, is due to serving a good sized metro in relation to the city population. So, the metro area is bigger than what the city population would indicate.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
What are some small to medium sized cities that are up and coming. Looking for a city that is still cheap to live in, but is revitalizing their downtown and growing in popularity. I'd like to move there before it becomes trendy(and expensive). I have been hearing great things about Florence, SC, and Lafayette, LA.
What cities(with a warmish climate), would you recommend?
Florence is an interesting choice. It's downtown has really only recently started undergoing revitalization, but it seems to have taken ahold. But I don't see it becoming really trendy or expensive anytime soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the reason why Greenville is like that, is due to serving a good sized metro in relation to the city population. So, the metro area is bigger than what the city population would indicate.
Precisely. Greenville is the primary hub of the Upstate region which has a population of around 1.4 million so that helps to explain why it has a lot of the amenities it does.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 PM

730 posts, read 813,444 times
Chattanooga has been reinventing itself and has become quite an attractive little city. It's in a beautiful setting on a river surrounded by mountains with a downtown area that is very popular with young urbanites. It's only 100'ish miles from either Nashville or Atlanta. And now that VW has announced that it's going to add more than 2,000 new jobs to its Chattanooga plant, I suspect the city will become even more popular.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/39525529.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2659/4...a1ddce6402.jpg

http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/posts/dsc_3504.jpg

http://bettercities.net/sites/defaul...20Park-050.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8bLbfG1HPx...hattanooga.JPG

http://www.boatus.com/Assets/www.boa...reports-07.jpg

http://hankinsphoto.com/photo_blog/w...-park-0259.jpg

Old 07-14-2014, 02:43 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
I second Chattanooga It's quite impressive for its size if you've never been there. It's lower on the radar but it's definitely getting trendy quickly.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 PM

383 posts, read 511,877 times
Columbus Ohio
2,000,000 people but no one really knows about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.