U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
There's parts of the west that are more conservative and would fit into the Midwest stereotype. Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon, Idaho, and Utah for example.
I definitely agree about the Eastern WA part. I recently moved to Eastern WA from Seattle, been living here a little over a year now, and this area definitely shares more in common on a cultural/lifestyle level with the upper Midwest than it does with the Puget sound region of WA. Not too sure about Idaho though. It's a different vibe over there. More 'wild west' than Midwestern. Never spent much time in Utah, but I would imagine it would be similar to Idaho in that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:32 PM

566 posts, read 565,252 times
The west is not a region. There are different regions within the west

Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 PM

2,773 posts, read 2,499,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I definitely agree about the Eastern WA part. I recently moved to Eastern WA from Seattle, been living here a little over a year now, and this area definitely shares more in common on a cultural/lifestyle level with the upper Midwest than it does with the Puget sound region of WA. Not too sure about Idaho though. It's a different vibe over there. More 'wild west' than Midwestern. Never spent much time in Utah, but I would imagine it would be similar to Idaho in that way.
I also have to add the Bakersfield area in California doesn't fit the "West" stereotype. Very conservative area and I have heard it reminds some people of parts of Texas and Oklahoma.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I also have to add the Bakersfield area in California doesn't fit the "West" stereotype. Very conservative area and I have heard it reminds some people of parts of Texas and Oklahoma.
Well, that part of California (San Joaquin valley) was heavily settled by dust bowl refugees from Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle, so it makes sense. Some of that culture even exists in the greater L.A. area, though it's mainly a minority of people there. Then there's Orange County, which is notoriously conservative... albeit in a uniquely SoCal sort of way. I would never think of the overall demeanor of these people as 'introverted' though. Quite the opposite.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 07-15-2014 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 08:31 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,831,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
West: Shy, introverted, atheistic, artistic, tolerant, nomadic, flexible, quiet, hedonistic, laid back
Surprisingly, those I have come across from the PNW are the most intolerant, fake, and cold. I recently learned the term Seattle Freeze. The stereotype fits. I have a friend that relocated back to the East Coast because she was never able to establish deep friendships with those she met in SanFran.

New Yorkers have a bad rep. Yes, they are loud and strait forward. On the other hand, I have found them to be extremely friendly and open. So much so that NY is always on the top of my move list.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 PM

3,035 posts, read 2,466,639 times
Northeast: dream
South: honor
Midwest: community
West: frontier

Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 PM

124 posts, read 194,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Northeast: work, West: dream. imo.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:31 PM

3,035 posts, read 2,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveByTheSun View Post
Northeast: work, West: dream. imo.
I chose "dream" for the Northeast because I think it represents a place where Americans and immigrants alike have tried to achieve their "dreams." Think about the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Ellis Island, going to universities in Boston or Philadelphia, the industrial revolution in places like Massachusetts and Rhode Island, etc. It seems like a place for those in other parts of the country to "move up" and "advance."

I chose "frontier" for the West because it's a common theme that connects seemingly dissimilar places from San Francisco and Portland to Salt Lake City and Boise. There's a sense of adventure and rugged individualism that's less "protected" than it is in the Northeast.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:43 PM

854 posts, read 1,114,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Interesting. I'm buying this.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,117,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
West: Shy, introverted, atheistic, artistic, tolerant, nomadic, flexible, quiet, hedonistic, laid back
Midwest: Hard-working, extroverted, conventional, deep rooted, athletic, hospitable, religious
South: Extroverted, passionate, traditional, musical, conservative, religious
Northeast: Straightforward, fast paced, no-nonsense, tolerant, loud, indifferent
Pretty good list. I agree with most of it. Few things though. I don't find people out west shy or introverted though. But they are very open-minded, liberal and experimental as well. I would also add family-oriented and friendly to the South and Midwest. They seem to stick together more and like chit-chatting. I would also add hard-working to the North East. People seem to work longer hours in the North East. I don't think they are loud either, I think it's a more saying what's on one's mind without sugar coating it as much - being direct. The North East also has a strong element of tradition and being status-oriented as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or