U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 PM
 
854 posts, read 1,122,264 times
Reputation: 963

Advertisements

West: Shy, introverted, atheistic, artistic, tolerant, nomadic, flexible, quiet, hedonistic, laid back
Midwest: Hard-working, extroverted, conventional, deep rooted, athletic, hospitable, religious
South: Extroverted, passionate, traditional, musical, conservative, religious
Northeast: Straightforward, fast paced, no-nonsense, tolerant, loud, indifferent
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,355,847 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
West: Shy, introverted, atheistic, artistic, tolerant, nomadic, flexible, quiet, hedonistic, laid back
Midwest: Hard-working, extroverted, conventional, deep rooted, athletic, hospitable, religious
South: Extroverted, passionate, traditional, musical, conservative, religious
Northeast: Straightforward, fast paced, no-nonsense, tolerant, loud, indifferent

West: Not shy/introverted or quiet IMO
Midwest: Not extroverted or particularly religious, but I see why it would apply compared to other regions
South: Seems correct
Northeast: Add extroverted, as I think they are the most so


*Edit: before some numbskull even says it I'll note that no one generalization can apply to ALL people in ANY region (should go without saying, but somebody would have posted this like it was novel)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,149 posts, read 14,203,247 times
Reputation: 7086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
West: Not shy/introverted or quiet IMO
Midwest: Not extroverted or particularly religious, but I see why it would apply compared to other regions
South: Seems correct
Northeast: Add extroverted, as I think they are the most so


*Edit: before some numbskull even says it I'll note that no one generalization can apply to ALL people in ANY region (should go without saying, but somebody would have posted this like it was novel)
I disagree about the Northeast being the most extraverted. Most people here are aloof and reserved, but not afraid to say what's on their mind, which I like. It gives me the right to be "mean" lol. I hate when people sugar coat stuff.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Cedar Rapids
233 posts, read 283,206 times
Reputation: 224
I'm about to make an over-generalization here, but I want to make a point on something I've noticed about being "extroverted" in the urban Northeast vs. the urban West ... That is extroverted in the Northeast comes a little more natural with the majority, in the sense that you talk in necessity without thinking or putting up to much of a guard. You naturally say what you are thinking quickly and move on. Whereas extroverted in the urban West is more of a trying to have great personality, socially outgoing, fun, thinking of what to say type of personality - I've noticed this in Texas as well as it seems to have a Western influence. Not shy but more fabricated in the West - almost like a front of insecurity and comparing themselves - almost trying to be funny/get attention. Whereas the Northeast seems less insecure. I hope that doesn't come across as offensive, or better yet I hope it makes sense.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:36 PM
 
268 posts, read 347,316 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
I'm about to make an over-generalization here, but I want to make a point on something I've noticed about being "extroverted" in the urban Northeast vs. the urban West ... That is extroverted in the Northeast comes a little more natural with the majority, in the sense that you talk in necessity without thinking or putting up to much of a guard. You naturally say what you are thinking quickly and move on. Whereas extroverted in the urban West is more of a trying to have great personality, socially outgoing, fun, thinking of what to say type of personality - I've noticed this in Texas as well as it seems to have a Western influence. Not shy but more fabricated in the West - almost like a front of insecurity and comparing themselves - almost trying to be funny/get attention. Whereas the Northeast seems less insecure. I hope that doesn't come across as offensive, or better yet I hope it makes sense.
I agree with this. I think people in the west are more concerned with charisma while talking in the NE is more about exchanging ideas. Never thought about it this way, though. Interesting perspective.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,064,731 times
Reputation: 3835
Too many generalizations.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,704 posts, read 2,777,957 times
Reputation: 2336
Do you guys not know what extrovert and introvert mean. Hint, it has nothing to do with how talkative or friendly or polite you are.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,515 posts, read 60,123,046 times
Reputation: 54204
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Would you say this is a good description of the regional personalities?
No.

Quit making generalizations and looking for stereotypes everywhere you go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,355,847 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Do you guys not know what extrovert and introvert mean. Hint, it has nothing to do with how talkative or friendly or polite you are.
Seriously!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:41 PM
 
2,774 posts, read 2,512,294 times
Reputation: 1938
There's parts of the west that are more conservative and would fit into the Midwest stereotype. Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon, Idaho, and Utah for example.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top