Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,037,347 times

Advertisements

Two are: Americans are fat and loud. Any others? Do Americans DESERVE these stereotypes???
As an American I will state: yes, I do love to eat, and YES I am loud.

One other stereotype, lately, I can add is Americans worship capitalism (some believe The Holy Trinity and capitalism go hand and hand) and therefore are less compassionate towards others in our society. The attitude is: I got mine and if you don't have running water, well you didn't pay your bill, so %$#%-you 'cause I got mine, pull yourself up by the bootstraps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Some of the international stereotypes I am aware of of Americans:

1. No one speaks any languages besides English
2. They wear shorts in inappropriate locations (at least, as tourists)
3. They like to wear pastel colors
4. They all enjoy nearly every non hot beverage ice cold.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,037,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

2. They wear shorts in inappropriate locations (at least, as tourists)
3. They like to wear pastel colors
4. They all enjoy nearly every non hot beverage ice cold.

I think it's pretty sad we limit ourself to English. American English sounds ugly. Children, in America, should be taught at Kindergarten a language other than English.

What's wrong with pastel and shorts? <-----NEVER NEVER wear shorts in France. I wear capris due to vanity. Lots of denim. I DO notice Canadians dress up to go grocery shopping!! Fortunately, when I went in the Canadian grocery store no one stared or said anything rude, they probably figured just another American!!

Ice cold diet soda or ginger-ale is yummy.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 AM

10,000 posts, read 8,501,172 times
You forgot stupid and gullible.
They will believe anything.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:27 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
They hate themselves and spend a lot of effort telling everyone how much they suck online, in person, on the phone, you name it.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,094,661 times
Fat, loud, poorly dressed, eat at McDonalds all the time, prefer quantity over quality, bad drivers, poor social etiquette, drink too much alcohol at once, eat bad food, overly religious, drive everywhere...

I think that covers it. This is based off what I heard from people when I lived in Europe for three years.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,751,612 times
Stereotype that I know:
Rude
Fat
Don't know how to dress up especially the guys
Claims the universe revolves around them / close minded
Spoiled

Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM

16,305 posts, read 10,324,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Europeans love to beat us Americans up on this one. But it makes sense that many of them are multi-lingual, because Europe consists of a number of relatively small countries tucked in close together, whose inhabitants speak different languages. Whereas, the United States is a big, (basically) mono-linguistic nation. There's simply no need for most Americans to ever speak any language other than English.

As an example . . . according to Google Maps, the driving distance from Lisbon to Moscow is nearly the same as that from New York to Los Angeles. If the driver wishes to speak with the inhabitants of the areas through which he will pass in their respective native tongues, he will need to know SIX different languages for the first trip. But the second one can be accomplished from end to end speaking English the whole way.

And that's why Europeans tend to speak more languages than Americans!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM

41,728 posts, read 74,665,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
You forgot stupid and gullible.
They will believe anything.
You mean like all Americans are fat, loud, dress like bums and eat at McDonald's everyday?

Old 07-15-2014, 02:18 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,983,660 times
Women wear shorts even though their legs aren't always nice and Americans put ketchup on every type of food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.